Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe Douglas is already a goner. The only open question is whether he gets to spend the 2022 draft pick haul he has accumulated.

If Douglas is on the hot seat going into 2022 the Jets really need to fire him and let somebody else handle that draft. The reason is all around us this season: new GM's wipe out the roster and start over again with very few exceptions. That means the 2022 draft class is on the bubble as early as 2023 if Douglas gets to run the 2022 draft and is then fired.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL!!

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

WOW! I used to really respect your opinion br4d, but I'm amazed at how cynical and negative you've become. There is no way Douglas is already a goner. That's simply wishful thinking on your part. If by some reason he is, well then that would probably spell the end of my ever giving a shit about this team.

K'OB likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

And this is one of the most knowledgeable posters on the forum :D But no one says dick when he makes these completely idiotic posts.

K'OB likes this.
  5. Br4d

For all the hype Joe Douglas hasn't yet done anything indicative of his ability to build a team from scratch and that's essentially what he has to do at this point.

His free agent signings have been par for the course, nothing special.

His drafts have been par to below par even by Jets standards.

His HC hire may or may not have been good however the results so far have not been good.

I get that you believe that he is something special, however none of the evidence so far suggests that this belief is valid - a lot of it suggests that it is not.

6. ColoradoContrails

FIFY.

7. Br4d

So, defend him.

Give us a detailed post about why Douglas moves are clearly setting up a brighter future for the Jets.

The only thing he has done so far that is positive is sold off the assets of the previous regime at a premium. However he promptly screwed even that achievement up by trading up in the 2021 draft - neutralizing the gains the Jets made previously.

Part of our disagreement here is that you think Zach Wilson is a great QB prospect. I see him as a mediocre QB prospect.

So from your perspective the Jets build has the most important piece in place and from mine they have a roadblock to acquiring the most important piece.

That means that our positions may well not be reconcilable until Wilson proves out or busts.

8. ColoradoContrails

I've been there, done that Br4d and you know it. Anyone who has been posting here a while knows it. We don't agree on the decisions that JD has made, and me re-posting everything I've posted about that again here isn't going to change your mind. But if you think he's so terrible that he's on the hot seat at this point, I have to really question your thinking.

K'OB likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

While I disagree with JD's actions on many things, this feels like a strange game to be the nail in the coffin for him. I guess I can understand it if you don't think Wilson is the guy. I think it's too early to say that.

The team played well today. A lot of the guys JD has acquired produced for us. Wilson played terribly. Belichick has a long history of giving rookie QB's fits. I would've much preferred to see Wilson play decently despite that but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Cough, gives a little wave. ;)

Ultimately it is pointless, he is entitled to his opinion at the end of the day but Wow at some of his recent claims.

11. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

JD has made several hideous moves, from really bad drafting, to having no backup QB, to allowing the Mims thing to fester, and on and on. The week 16 game between the Jags and us could decide draft pick 1 & 2 in the next draft, both being 0-14. We are terrible again, and so are they. Can't really see either team winning a game until then.

12. Br4d

My point is that the stakes are so high, with the 2 1st round picks next season - including a very high natural pick, that if Douglas isn't on the hot seat after this season the Jets should probably rethink that. If he is on the hot seat, which is what 5-28 or thereabouts should do to you, then I think the Jets can't give him the 2022 draft. That is a move that could set back the next regime until 2026 or so if Douglas is fired after 2022 - which another bad season would certainly do.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

JD won't get the chance to draft his 2nd FQB on his existing contract, so either Wilson is it, or they're both gone in 3 years. He moved all of his chips into the center of the table with ZW...

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean, he gets until the end of the year before we can put him on the hot seat, but this team still seems devoid of talent which is an issue with a boatload of draft capital and cap space.

Cman68 and Br4d like this.
  15. Br4d

Seriously, I doubt that Zach Wilson gets three years. I kind of expect the Jets to be thinking a Josh Rosen-Kyler Murray fast turnover if things get really ugly this season. That would be consistent with a regime change designed to hand the new GM an unquestioned draft haul to work with.

16. bicketybam

Just when you can't think a take can get any worse, it does.[​IMG]

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Not trying to be snarky, but be prepared for disappointment when there is no regime change after the season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Finally a JD perspective that is based on reality. He hasn’t done much but get bargain value. This is not how you build a team.

If he knew how to build a true contender, he would have either kept both Wilson/Darnold and had them duke it out in camp or traded the #2 for a haul to turn it around overnight - in his mind.

It’s clear he doesn’t have a real plan other than try to accumulate picks and cap space - for what I don’t know. But that’s not a plan to build a team.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  19. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

And that’s where I truly differ. I do not believe JD has a real plan.

Tannebaum had a plan. it was flawed, but it nearly worked two seasons in a row.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  20. bicketybam

Hahahaha![​IMG]