2021 - Week 2: New England Patriots @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 13, 2021.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Sep 19, 2021.
  1. Jets

24.4%
  2. Patriots

75.6%
  1. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'm not too down on this game.

Our D looked good, special teams not too shabby and the OL wasn't beaten like a drum. Our offense was moving the ball pretty well with the RBs making a good contribution (although whether this is down to NE's bend don't break approach?) it was just that Zach's turnovers killed us.......and that's the one thing we kinda expected from a rookie QB and hopefully something that can be eliminated.

NCJetsfan, Jets81, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Careful. You don't want to be labeled a reasonable fan.;)

3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Wilson clearly didn't have his best day, his accuracy was off but I'd like to hear from the coaches before blaming him for all 4 int's. Seeing it live it looked to me like the 1st 2 were on Davis. Beli was brackeing Davis, which was pretty much expected, but why there was another receiver right there with Davis (and thus another defender) it made no sense. Was it a bad play call or did the other receiver run a bad route? Either way I thought Davis should have made that play. The second one I think was clearly on Davis even though it wasn't the best pass. The one where the only player around was a defender looks to be totally on Wilson but again I'd like to know if a WR ran the wrong route.

More concerning to me was the unimaginative play calling. When Davis was on the side line and they were in 2 WR sets with Kroft as blocking TE they ran the ball nearly every time. You don't do that against a guy like Beli. Also it seemed clear they wanted Wilson throwing out patterns on crosses but it didn't look like they bothered to run rub routes doing so or having a TE sit in the zone eating up a defender so the crosser had more space. It may not have mattered today because his accuracy wasn't there but I'd like to see the coaches give him a better chance by getting the WR more space.

Not sure what happened on the early non-fumble by the Pats but it sure looked like the ball was out. That could have turned the game early.

The kicker didn't have a great day, he was missing all over the place warming up after the half. At one point he missed 8 of 10 then decided to ask the long snapper and punter to hold for him almost like he didn't trust the triangle ball holder. He promptly missed again. Kickers have off days but missing left and right repeatedly is not a good sign. I hope he gets it corrected.

KY Jets Fan, NCJetsfan, cval and 2 others like this.
  4. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

It bloody better be, right now I prefer Ann and Nancy Wilson.

5. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

if someone would have told me before the game Zach was going to throw 4 picks thats ALL i needed to know. I would have watched something else for 3 hours and bought that person a case of beer for saving me the misery.

Losmeister likes this.
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

TLaw has 5 as well...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah its definitely not like there is no raw material to work with here and its hopeless. He's also giving strong evidence of being a tough little bastard with things like that tackle today, and shrugging off the hell-sack from last week to still score. I didn't favor dumping Sam to begin with but we got him now and I gotta believe better days are ahead. I mean... what else can we do at this point. He throws a nice ball... we probably should have had a Josh McCown or Andy Dalton type around for the first half dozen games or something but hopefully he turns it around.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Not really upset. Run game got 150+ and D was ok *esp. Mosely and Maye) ... not great esp. when eight people miss tackles and make the RB look like the second coming of John Riggins. No chunk plays doesn't mean you let people just march down the field so they better tighten things up cause Denv will eat our lunch too esp at mile high.

Losmeister and ouchy like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What upsets me is the Jets fans show up again, trying to be optimistic. Then what do they witness? Another pathetic effort by the Jets, losing to the Patriots.

You can't build a homefield advantage when all you do is let your fans down constantly.

Then they Boo Zach Wilson, which I found pathetic, but at the same time it's like I can't completely blame them. They showed up. They thought maybe the product would be better, and instead it was the Same Old Jets. That is tough to deal with.

The Jets continue to be a work in progress........

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

The first two were not on Davis.

1st int - Wilson tries to show back shoulder over middle of the field with a delayed blitz. he couldn't step into the throw. it was #1 a bad play call. Ty Johnson just ran for 8 yds on 1st down, 2nd the play was covered and really Wilson was trying to avoid a sack or scramble but getting it out in the pocket. This was LaFleur with the play call, Belichick with the delayed blitz from the middle LB and Zach just being inaccurate off his back foot.

2nd int - Wilson was too high and inaccurate. Not a bad read but you have to accurate and low with your ball placement in zone coverage. Alot of his balls sailed high last week too.

3rd int - Zone coverage again over and under. He underthrew the ball. All Wilson here.

4th int - Miss communication...maybe, but in reality he had no business trying to fit something in there.

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The problem is, this fan base has been through a ton of horrible play that it is sometimes hard to put those feelings aside and understand the process.

This team is the youngest in the entire NFL. We have a rookie head coach, rookie coordinators, 7+ rookie starters and our starting QB is a 22 year old rookie. You can not logically think that this team will win 8+ games.

Now having said that, you never want to see a game like we did yesterday, but the problem with this fan base is the complete disregard of the process and the facts in front of them. Now Saleh sucks, Lafleur sucks, Wilson sucks, JD sucks. Everyone sucks because we lost a bad game. Just a week ago everyone was singing the praises of the coaching staffs adjustments and Zach Wilson's play in the second half. Now everyone sucks.

I get it, it can be frustrating, but you have to be able to seperate the facts from your previous emotions. This team is young and there is still so much to rebuild. You have to be patient, as much as some do not want to hear that.

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wilson made a really impressive tackle after his 4th interception. :confused:

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me why it's so hard to run a route? I always here about how certain receivers are great route-runners and other receivers not so much. My naïve opinion says "just run the route assigned to you, go out 10 steps, turn left 45 degrees, etc.". Why isn't as simple as that?

15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Because a pro route tree can have as many as 9 different options for the receiver depending on things like down and distance, ball placement (left hash/right hash), defense (man v zone), opposing defenders alignment (inside, outside, press coverage), etc. The receiver and QB must make the same read. That's why you'll sometimes see a quarterback throw a ball to an area and there's no receiver there, he was expecting his guy to run a different route off of that tree.

KY Jets Fan, REVISion, dmw and 2 others like this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Fuck it, I’m down for the two game rebuild cycle. Fire JD & Saleh and the next GM & HC get two games to fix this mess. We’re bound to build a winner that way.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If you want to watch a team that looked much improved from week 1, watch it. If you don’t want to watch a QB that regressed from week 1 don’t watch it.

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Thanks.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, well said. Good post. It is definitely tough to continue to be patient after a decade of failure and coming off of a (2-14) season, but that is the position the Jets and their fans are in right now.

Yesterday was frustrating, because I felt that was a winnable home game to really get fans buzzing, and it just did not happen.

Falco21 likes this.
  20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

you do not have to watch
    blah blah blah mishandling mims blah blah blah....

fucking Jets fans... geniuses all....