Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because we don't value scouting as the most important position in the organization. We don't value the scouting process as the most important process in the organization.

If we decided not to sign any professional free agents for the next 5 seasons and only acquire new talent via the draft and the street our scouting process and assets would become much better out of sheer need.

If there's any team in professional football that needs this kind of Manhattan Project it is the jets.

However it is easier to overpay for free agents and get the downsides of their careers instead of going all out and finding the young stars and getting the upsides of their careers.

So we'll just keep doing the easy thing and marketing the sloshing barrel full of slop that produces year after year.

2. Br4d

I believe the odds on a season-ending injury for Zach are probably 50/50 or better at this point. He wasn't hit as hard today as he was in the opener but he did wind up with a couple of guys having free runs at him. If that keeps happening and he doesn't learn how to get down on those he's going to get hurt.

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If AVT becomes a hit, then trading up for him would be worth it because our OL needed a LG. And there were many picks following that one to find professional football players.

Trading up to the extent Tanny did was foolish and nothing Douglas has done indicates he'll do that.

The 2020 class is concerning with Becton hurt and Mims not playing despite being healthy. I can't deny that.

4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

His mental injuries are already showing up...NJ where the youth come to die. No matter the position

5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Douglas not drafting Lamb or Jeudy in 2020 is not looking like the best of decisions at this point. Now it's Zach's problem.

Cman68 and Royal Tee like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

How AVT plays doesn't really matter. Process is more important than outcome.

The numbers say that you're better off selecting two OL with the picks we gave away to trade up for AVT. It may work out anyway if AVT is good but it's still the wrong decision because it usually won't work out in your favor.

Br4d likes this.
  7. Royal Tee

Lamb was my guy and I was heated where he ended up...

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It’s not even that. It’s the ones we do draft just suck or stay injured. That 2020 class may go down as the worst class of all time. You need to draft players who play. None of them see the field or ca stay there.

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. Br4d

The other thing of course is that no matter how good AVT turns out to be the thing he can never be is 3 good starters. The Jets had a chance to get 3 good starters with the 23 and the 2 3rd rounders. That chance is now reduced to one good starter and if he gets hurt, well that's how rosters die.

REVISion likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He needs to become an all pro candidate for this trade to make sense. Just a solid/good starter after giving up so much extra to get him I agree is not worth it. However, if AVT does become a premier player, now that's worth the price of admission.

CotcheryFan and REVISion like this.
  11. Br4d

You mean like that guy who played LT for the Browns his whole career as an All-Pro but never won anything because the roster around him was the Jets, er, Browns?

I really give two shits about whether or not AVT becomes an All-Pro. The only thing that is important to me is that the Jets build a deep and talented roster and win a Super Bowl.

The AVT trade-up did nothing to help that overall proposition.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was both a lower floor and lower ceiling move. Those hurt your franchise significantly if you compound them over multiple years.

Br4d likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

I don't think it's fair to blame Thomas for the team around him sucking. That's on the Browns for being a terrible run franchise during most of his career.

14. Br4d

And the Jets are a well run franchise?

Right now I see the Jets as tied for the worst run franchise in the NFL with the Jaguars and the Giants joining them at the bottom of the pile.

15. CotcheryFan

Right now, no until proven otherwise. The jury is still out on Douglas and the CS. If they don't improve their standing, it doesn't matter if we had 3 players with the capital used to get AVT.

Royal Tee likes this.
  16. Royal Tee

QQ: Have the Jets tended upwards since June 2019?

Acting like we're rebuilding in 1989 over 5-6 years.

It's gonna be 2022 in the NFL. Put the java down and wake tf up Joe

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Jets have had a bottom 5 offensive line each of the last 4 seasons - might be an idea to fix it before you draft another QB?

ouchy, Cman68 and Br4d like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Ideally you do that, but when you have the chance to draft a FQB without having to burn lots of assets to trade up, you do that. It's clear you don't consider Wilson anything special, but JD and the rest of the organization did, along with some very highly knowledgeable analysts. I'm going to give Wilson a few more games before calling him a bust.

REVISion likes this.
  19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I wasn't high on the pick as I preferred Fields (not going to pretend I wanted Mac Jones all of a sudden) - I also would have wanted to give Darnold a chance away from Gase and with some decent weapons before I gave up on him entirely - could have traded down and almost rebuilt our O-line this year and if Darnold didn't pan out we would have a top 3 pick next year and looked at that crop of QBs - I am not calling him a bust in any event - I am saying that bringing in another rookie QB, especially one with limited experience, when you have a bottom tier o-line is not a recipe for success

Br4d likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're suggestion here isn't out of line. I too considered that approach, but the more I saw of Wilson's tape, and the more I heard highly respected analysts say that he might even be the #1 QB over Lawrence (which I thought too), the more I realized that JD had to roll the dice and take him and hope that he survives the baptism by fire. I think he did that because he believes Zach has the mental make up to do that. If he was wrong, it might well cost him his job, but that decision won't be made after 2 games in Zach's first season.