Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You could argue we had an easier schedule in 2019, but you don't win in the NFL with smoke and mirrors. The team got worse in 2020. Part by design with trading vets and letting others walk, part because we did terrible in FA, and partly because we had an average/mediocre draft.

I have praised every good move JD has made and questioned all the questionable ones, and the results. But some act like he never makes questionable moves. "In JD we trust" became a blind faith mantra for some that cant be questioned. Ardent JD supports make excuses for JDs role last season. If things go bad this season that will probably continue.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Trent Balke gave Harbaugh a solid team to coach. It was obvious he drafted some really good players he just didn’t have the right HC to make good use of the talent he drafted.

However since the record is what you go by, Balke sucked because his teams were not putting up wins until Harbaugh came along.

I’m not ecstatic about every JD move either, I have been critical of his Fant signing, and constantly moving back in the draft and letting good players fall to other teams.

However In my opinion Jets have their FQB, keep him healthy and surround him with talent and you will see a team that consistently is challenging for the playoffs. If you need two years to see it I respect that, it’s your right. I for one can see the silver lining barring any major injuries.

ColoradoContrails, ouchy and K'OB like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm don't think Douglas walks on water so let's dispel that notion.

With Adam Gase and the coaching staff, what would you have preferred to see in 2020? The "up and coming" 2019 7-9 team winning two more game? You think Johnson is firing Gase after he goes 7-9 and then 9-7? He was the biggest problem this team had. 2-14 was a blessing because there was no way he could keep him. Last season enabled Johnson to fire Gase, let the GM hire his coach and change the reporting structure to what every other team has (coach reporting to the GM, GM to owner.) There is no way in the world you can knock Douglas for trading Adams. How many more games do we win with him last year anyway? The guy was a major pain in the ass and he fleeced the Seahawks out of 2 first round picks.

I'm not buying the narrative that Douglas destroyed a 7-9 roster and turned it into 2-14. As long as Gase was the coach the team was going nowhere. Douglas did everyone a favor.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Baalke was absolutely dreadful dude. There's a reason he eventually got ran out of town after he sucked up to the owners and ran Harbaugh out of town. Harbaugh had a lot of latitude on personnel the first couple years until Baalke ruined everything by getting more control and pushing that franchise into the graveyard.

Record + analogy to Douglas aside, Baalke was the reason that Harbaugh left and the franchise went to dogshit, including the Kelly era + the bizarre Tomsula year.

Good points on paragraph 3.

@ouchy - you're not completely objective because you've been annoyed by not getting Devonta Smith for the past 6 months, but you make a lot of solid JD points.

blackssmagic, cval and Red Menace like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think JD is the best GM we've had in quite some time.

Has he had some mistakes? Sure, most 1st time GM's do. Letting Robby walk was probably his worst mistake but he admitted that. He tried to sign Conklin last year, but Conklin chose to play for the Browns. He tried to sign Thuney this year, he chose to play for the Chiefs. So what did he do? Drafted an LT and an LG in the 1st round.

His 2020 class doesn't look great but it's only year 2 for these guys. Becton, Mims, Hall, and Mann look like they will contribute going forward. I've still got high hopes for Ashtyn Davis but he's got to stay healthy. Perine looks like he could be a decent back-up RB. Zuniga, Clark, and Morgan don't look great.

I'm also not willing to totally trash the OL after 1 game. They didn't look great, we all know that, but it was game 1 under a new HC, OC, and a rookie QB. Let's see how they look the rest of the season.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't think he gets a pass for Conklin. He should've ponied up the money and made sure he was a Jet. I agree that Thuney was going to KC no matter what + probably got an amount of money Douglas wasn't willing to offer.

7. Red Menace

8 of the picks selected by Baalke are still on team, 10 of the players that were released by the Niners are currently on NFL teams. He had 5 drafts, I don’t know how many picks Niners had in each draft though but even if we went with 6 picks times 5 that’s 30 players.

18 of 30 picks are still in the NFL, do you think that’s horrible? Honest question JV.

Baalke deserved to be fired for thinking too highly of himself and putting himself above the team and a really good HC, one that could have kept that team relevant for a long time, even thought they did a good job with Lynch and Shanahan.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

2011-2016 - he has two good plus NFL players that he drafted and they were both first round picks (Buckner/Armstead). The rest of the picks are pretty much dreadful dude.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In 2019 the Jets went 6-2 in the second half of the season.

In all other games they have played since Joe Douglas came on board they are 3-22.

This is another way of saying that except when Sam Darnold played well in the second half of 2019 this team has been terrible.

Now it is possible that after the Jets play the Pats, @Broncos, Titans, @ Falcons we'll have a couple of wins at the bye and be feeling a bit better about this team before we go @pats, Bengals, @Colts, Bills afterwards. However I think it is more likely the Jets will be something like 4-30 outside of that magical half-season in 2019.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. Red Menace

I don’t necessarily think a GM has to pick all pro players with every pick. It would be nice but it’s not how GMs look at their picks either.

They draft with depth and special teams players in mind as well. It is what it is, Baalke is not Jets GM and I wouldn’t want him either.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I get that, but your point was insinuating that we was alright because his picks are still in the league. He picked a couple good starters and that's about it over 5 years. His draft history is comparable to Maccagnan's and he nosedived a franchise who was looking like a perennial NCFCG contender.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Baalke nose-dived the 49ers because he ran a good CEO-type coach out of town. Any organization that lets the alpha dog get run out of town deserves what happens afterwards.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

My point about Balke is that he is in his first year as the Jags GM, and he selected a FQB with the 1st pick. Does that automatically mean he is doing a good job in Jacksonville?

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Can you provide some examples of posters who treat his every move like it’s genius?

15. Red Menace

I bet he will now, when a GM no longer has to worry about the QB position he simply has to draft skilled players and build team around QB and hope his HC knows how to use the weapons given to him.

Joe is starting his third year, has his FQB and added some pieces to help Wilson. Now it’s time for staff to do their jobs, develop Carter, Moore, Mims, Tucker, Bryce Hall, Becton, Ashtyn Davis.

JD also needs to hit on next years draft with big time skilled players. No need to reach for anyone or try to acquire more picks by trading back, grab good players and call it a night.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

TE is the one skill position where we need a long term answer. I still believe we need to come out of round 1 next year with an edge rusher or corner. Isn't it time we get our next Abraham or Revis?

17. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I do not hate JD, I just want results and for things to make sense, Why hire a coach and staff that does not enhance your first draft ? It seems like a lack of vision, which I think GD has lacked since he got here. The first summer JD did everything in his power to make the Jets into a playoff team. It was stacked against him coming in after the draft and free agency ,but he tried and failed. Last yr a total waste but we had good draft position and a ton of cap room to add a few building blocks. Our net results are Hall and a draft of players that do not match up with the coach and staff he hired after the season. GMs are suppose to build foundations based on beliefs. Now yr two we have all of this cap space and we have C Davis (who is also injury prone) to show for free agents plus a draft class that could be good but like every team in the NFL we have a lot of hope but none of us know how it will pan out. I am concerned that E Moore played 57 snaps and only had 3 targets. Why bring in Cole and keep Crowder if we are in tank mode again? If not in tank mode why do you trade Herndon?
    I am concern that he is suppose to be an o-line guru and we have spent a lot of money and draft picks on it and we sxck . He should have been able to build a reasonable line in his 2 plus yrs to protect Wilson. Even if Wilson is Mahomes he is going to get killed behind this line,

Red Menace likes this.
  18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's possible to criticise without bailing.

And yes, this is a rebuild, but after two drafts and two waves of free agents, with the starting offensive line completely overhauled and two first-round picks spent on it, it looked like absolute crap. I don't see how anybody could fail to be concerned with that. You can remain confident that it will gel, or get sorted with more additions, but I don't see how anyone could fail to be concerned with how our line looked in week one.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Well I expected a vastly improved roster heading into season 3, and I’m not so sure it’s improved at all.
    A rebuild doesn’t have to mean moving any and all existing talent. Could have been building upon what we had instead.

I’m glad you see some flaws at least tho.
    I feel that many on hear would applaud anything as a win, even tho we keep losing.

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

JD's 2020 draft class is looking worse by the day.

Looks like the 2nd round pick may have been a complete waste and the 1st round pick can't stay on the field either.

Jets79 and blackssmagic like this.