Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

how many 5’10 receiver not named Antonio Brown or Deshaun Jackson scorch defenses that deep. Go look it up.

You literally have the a legit deep threat riding the bench because of supposed scheme fit. Unacceptable.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Everyone?

Hmm, not true.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. K'OB

Tyreek Hill is 5ft 8" or 5ft 10" site-dependent but no doubt about his defence scorching ability on the deep ball, quite possibly the best in the league at it.

I didn't look any further.

cval likes this.
  4. BrooklynJetsFan

Agreed.

5. BrooklynJetsFan

I get it. You have zero argument. stop playing semantics.

6. K'OB

No, I was a huge Robbie fan that defended him greatly.

So like I said...

Everyone?

Hmm, not true.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If he doesn’t know the scheme he can’t run it. Literally. He can’t react to what he sees from the defense. He can’t make adjustments during his route. His physical talents will go to waste if he’s not where he signals/is expected to be. Not to mention he’ll make everyone else’s job harder while also reducing the success rate of the play call.

It would be like having an employee who’s only doing what they’re suppose to be doing about 50% of the time. They’re not reliable and keeping them around will piss off the ones who are because they’re doing what they’re suppose to do while this guy gets a free pass.

Bad for the play.
    Bad for the play callers.
    Bad for the other players.
    Bad for morale.

Losmeister and REVISion like this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Do me a favor instead, go read this thread and understand why he's not on the field.

Thanks

9. Falco21

It's not worth your time. He, like a few on here, refuse to accept that there is much more to route running than just running a deep slant.

The only argument is "he's a deep threat and a huge talent sitting on the bench" but then at the same time they refuse to acknowledge that you have to know a playbook to run the proper route and audible to a different route depending on the coverage and the line adjustment made by the QB.

But who cares, he can run deep!

REVISion and Jets81 like this.
  10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

And yet everytime he's on the field he produces positive plays.

We'll see how things go today but it's difficult to see how there isn't a scenario where he's worked into the offense more than 2 plays.

Even if he's a complete dummy who's incapable of learning all 3 wr spots for the entire offense there should be a happier medium where his talents at being put to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Falco21

LOL

OK, this is getting ridiculous with this whole "everytime Mims is on the field he produces a positive play". Mims literally snuck behind a defender who wasn't paying attention and caught a perfect pass thrown to him. He had 23 catches in 9 games in 2020.

This is getting ridiculous lol

REVISion likes this.
  12. Imagesrdecieving

He's shown a pretty good amount of potential.

Enough to warrant being on the field more than 2 plays.

I'm not advocating for him to start and play every snap. I'm just saying that it's the coaching staff's job to get playmakers on the field.

This isn't some sort of radical outlook I'm putting out here. Definitely not worthy of being called ridiculous.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Falco21

No, it's worthy of being called ridiculous because why do you support the idea of playing a player who doesn't know the play book? I'd love to hear how that is beneficial to the team, as a whole, and the growth of Zach Wilson?

Again, no one is arguing that he is not talented. That has NEVER been the argument

14. Imagesrdecieving

Because there are often times that a player doesn't know the whole playbook and the CS figures out a way to get them on the field producing.

I'm not saying that Mims is an all pro but he has shown enough that if the CS can't figure out a way to get him on the field for more than 2 plays then there might be a problem.

His height and catch radius should be beneficial to our offense.

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree. As a coach you need to find a way to use the talents of the assets you have in the best possible way. Mims sitting most of the game where he still ended up with the longest offensive play for the team with just 3 snaps and 1 target doesn't seem like the optimal utilization of available assets. Mike gets a Gase like F for his first game for this, OL woes, poor play calling, lack of protection, etc... There is a lot to fix, and leveraging Mims is one of these things.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Have to get Mims more involved. Will help keep defenses honest. The OC needs to spread the love.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Falco21

Yeah there is a problem, Mims doesn't know the plays

It's pretty simple

18. K'OB

I agree with you tbh but could you then not use a simplified playbook for him just get him on the field 10-20 times and targetted 5-10 times?

I can think of pro and negatives to that already tbh but it was just a thought.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll post this again - people are trying to over simplify what Saleh says and how the game is played to fit their argument as to why the player should be on the field.

"Struggling with the playbook" goes much deeper than simply being able to tell Mims in the huddle that he needs to run a 1 or 9 route. He needs to be able to read leverage and anticipate coverage or else he's going to run Wilson into bad interceptions or bad sacks because of a hesitation to throw. A lot of routes are determined at the LOS.

[​IMG]

Example - the play call in the huddle is a fly route. Cornerback has inside leverage. If Mims runs this route to the inside, at the corner, and Wilson throws a back shoulder fade towards the sideline (not a lifting fly), Mims just screwed the pooch.

It's deeper than not knowing the routes or plays. And the coaching staff does not want Wilson having to worry about lining a player up or his guy running to the right leverage versus coverage.

Freddy Mondo, REVISion, FJF and 3 others like this.
  20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Great analysis--Mims is not an idiot--he can learn playbook. It's the on-the-fly adaptations that apparently he's having trouble with and that's much more difficult to teach to someone.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.