All Six Zach Sacks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MowTin, Sep 14, 2021.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

If they can not establish the run this game will be over fast because BB will send the house after W.

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Going off memory listening to this week to NY Sports radio and people saying on the last sack that ZW has to get rid of the ball - it was infuriating listening to that knowing he had NO SHOT at getting rid of the ball on that sack. Going forward his toughness cannot be questioned, that was a brutal hit. The fact he didn't fumble is amazing, and to come back on the very next play and throw a dart to Davis in an extremely tight window is pretty fucking impressive...

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Vitor Paiva of jetsxfactor said the same thing in an article where he has video of numerous plays where he points out bad play calls, poor blocking, and Zach's mistakes. He said that Zach should have thrown the ball to Kroft, but by the time Kroft was breaking free, one of the two players that sacked him was in the way. I think he's full of it. If Zach had tried to throw it, at best it probably would have been knocked down or deflected. At worst, it could have been a pick six, or at least an interception, or maybe a fumble. Too many people in the media are trying to set themselves up as experts.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I can't wait until this team can replace GVR and McGovern.

There's a reason their former teams, especially for the journeyman GVR, let them go. Good olineman don't have trouble keeping jobs. A lot of them end up getting the tag at least once (i.e. Thuney and Scherff) or go within the first day of FA (Matt Paradis, Conklin, Thuney)--neither of our guys were offered that.

We need to continue to draft and/or make sure we sign the blue chip guys in FA and make them priority.

This is a chemistry issue as well, but some of these guys are just not good players, at least not good starters. Fant, GVR, Feeney are all backups at best

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Before the draft, I had floated the idea that maybe the best thing to do was to keep Sam and draft Sewell and maybe another "hog molly"...quite a few here disagreed. But then I went and re-watched some of Zach's tape, watched the breakdowns by Simms, Warner, and a few others, and realized this was a once in decade - at least - opportunity. So even though Sewell might've been a great pick - plus JD probably could've traded back and gotten some some prime picks - I firmly believe Zach was the best choice, and I'm even more convinced having seen him in live action.

Still, Saleh & Co. have to do something to protect him until we can get better blockers.

Acad23 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

It will be interesting how the line looks vs the Pats and without Becton.

I thought the line looked better after Becton went down. Yeah a lot has to do with the play calling and Zach s learning and making adjustments.

I am hoping we get the run game going.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

My impression of why the line got better after Becton left is when Fant moved to LT Moses did a better job on the right side than Fant did. Fant did a slightly worse job than Becton on the left side, but it was an overall improvement just keeping the right more in check. Around the same time Carolina also started doing more 2 deep safties and more conservative defensive play calls.

(It might be interesting to see Fant's ratings on the right compared to the left.)

The burning question is, why did Fant get the start over Moses? I thought Moses was our best OL FA. Did I miss something about why Fant got the start?

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

They cleaned it up in the second half. I read something about Carolina knowing our schemes and plays in the first half but I never really put much thought into those claims.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How so? Not questioning you or that you heard it but I'd love to read more.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are still suffering from a decade of terrible drafting on the line. It's not easy to assemble a line quickly and when you are switching blocking schemes the problems are magnified.

Hopefully this time next year Becton and AVT have more chemistry on the left side and the Jets are integrating a high drafted rookie RT into the mix and things stabilize in the middle of the line. Really the Jets are probably two years away from having a good OL at this point if everything works out with Becton, AVT and the rookie RT next year.

When you sign free agents on the OL they better be the best of the best because average guys are going to have trouble slotting in to a line that is already having trouble, which is why they were signed.

The other thing is you damn well better get the guy's prime not his post-prime. Kevin Mawae was a 27 year old top 5 Center when the Jets signed him and then he got better.