Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

How would it be sacrificing the season? I just don't get it. How many backup QB's are out there that can win games on bad teams?

ColoradoContrails, Noam and REVISion like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so if/when WIlson gets hurt, you are gonna sit there and watch trash Mike White and be happy with where the Jets org. is???

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The point is that Mike White isn't that much worse than a pricier backup option. They're all backups for a reason, because they're generally bad. If they were good they'd be starters.

The odds of both

A) Needing the backup for a prolonged period of time

and

B) Having that backup be significantly better than any other backup

are both very slim. It doesn't make sense to pay more for a slightly better backup.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he wanted to go for a winner and while he wasn't a great starter, he's one of the top backups in the NFL

IDFjet likes this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If Zach goes down the primary purpose of the season is gone. There is still a secondary purpose which is to let the younger players on both sides of the ball play and develop so that when Zach gets back the team has taken a step forward. Throwing White out there would probably not help that secondary purpose - the O would be stifled and the D constantly under pressure. However the need to have alternative backup doesnt currently exist so I'm not sure what purpose there is to having one on the roster at this point. If it happens you make a move, sure there's not many options but let's be honest no backup is taking this team any place realistically.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He's in his third season. That's just a fact.
    Third year of his 6 year contract.

He didn't draft the first season, but he did decide the final 53, he did deal away LW for peanuts, he did sign Ryan Kalil, manage the waiver all year, etc.
    He also had a whole season to realize Gase was gonna ruin Darnold, and he sat on his hands.

We can't just pretend the last 2 horrendous seasons didn't happen, and that this is somehow year 1.

I don't hate JD as a GM, and believe the Saleh hire was the best thing he's done so far.
    However, he is just so overrated here, for being the architect of the worst season in Jets history, while producing no positive results to date.
    There has been a lot of mis-steps so far.
    We are on an unnecessarily slow track imo.

#126 BacktoQueens, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So yes, you expected him the turn the franchise around in a little over 2 years.

But yes, the guy is flawed. Most would agree that he has some opportunity to improve.

#127 Jets81, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You can't say he didn't draft the first year and then later say that he is the architect of the Jets worst season.

I dont give a shit if he managed the 53 man roster. He had ZERO say in the offseason leading up to the draft and the draft itself.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know it’s a rebuild but if you look at a true rebuild, in year three is when the results start showing. I’m not making excuses for JD because I feel exactly like your bolded statement.

The set back for the Jets was JDs drafting for two different schemes. His first draft was specifically for a 3-4 defense and man blocking scheme on offense, now he’s drafting for a 4-3 defense, and a zone blocking scheme.

Zuniga may simply not fit in, Bryce Hall was a great choice and will do well in both a man scheme and a zone. Ashtyn Davis was thrown to the wolves by Greg Williams, which is good and bad but I believe he will play well in the new scheme, when he gets back, as a lot won’t be asked of him.

Becton we have spoken about. Mims we have spoken about, more complicated system than Gase, still has potential to develop.

There is a year wasted now because of this, however, because Jets have their FQB the CS and JD need to focus on drafting skilled players and development of said players.

Elija Moore, VT, Carter, Wilson are all going to work out they just need developing.

We will see Jets doing well by 3rd or 4th game of season barring any major injuries.

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The idea behind having a competent backup is that the rest of the offense can still continue to grow despite the starter being out.

There are definitely better backups than others. We probably have the worst in the league.

Who wouldn't rather watch Minshew or Case Keenum that whoever the fuck Mike White is? Look at what's happened with Taylor Heinicke.

Now what I'm fine with is Mike White over some Chase Daniels older journey man type loser that's going to check the ball down to go 21/30 for 191 yards in a 35-14 loss every week.

It's less about wins and losses though (a notion I hate but it's the reality if your starting QB goes down) and a bit more about a competently run offense so receivers and backs and lineman can get legitimate reps and involved in the game to get better.

But I think it's reasonable to be frustrated that White is the best we came up with.

#130 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Well. I mean I get the notion that players were drafted for different schemes but Zuniga and some of these other guys from that draft are on a faster track to being out of the league completely than being a competent player.

Whether they fit the scheme or not, the Jets MO (under Maccagnan and Idzik, not talking about Douglas) has been to draft mid-round guys that fit in no schemes and can barely get a camp invite after we cut them.

Hopefully both drafts turn out well but Douglas's first one looks like a mixed bag. If Becton recovers from injury and becomes a solid starter along with Hall it's a quality draft though.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. bicketybam

Zach is an iron man. The next Favre. Have no fear!

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I also would like to make one thing clear about JD and this goes for @Bellys Lies and @ouchy as well. Since these guys hate JD.

Jets have their FQB in Wilson, if they can keep him healthy and surround him with playmakers Jets should be a good team for a long time.

JD did what few GMs have been able to do including guys like Elway or Gettleman who have been in those positions longer than him.

JD got the NY Jets a FQB, let that sink in please.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

It's way too early, one game into his career, to plant the flag as if we've found our FQB, man.

Daniel Jones was 23/36 for 336, four total touchdowns, no picks and a GWD and 4th quarter comeback in his first full game...

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What did he get in his last game?

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't hate JD? I evaluate him objectively. That is a big difference from those who treat his every move like it was genius without any forethought. When its genius I'll say so, and when its a gamble I'll question it.

Building a 7-9 team into a 2-14 team to get the second pick in the draft isn't an accomplishment. By your measure 1st year GM Trent Balke is also more successful than Elway and Gettlemen, because he had the first pick. We probably wont know if JD did the right thing with the second pick for a year or more. But it is nice to have a talented QB.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Whut? He had a great game on Thursday night too. 350 total yards, 2 TDs and no turnovers, but my point is Wilson has a long way to go before we consider him a FQB.

18. K'OB

I know, I just thought you used Jones as an example as you feel he isn't a FQB, I was just being a little funny in my reply because I'd seen he'd had a great day lol

19. K'OB

Sniggers :rolleyes:

;)

ouchy likes this.
  20. bicketybam

You write that like the 2019 Jets were 7-9 and on their way to the playoffs the next year. That 7-9 record was smoke and mirrors. They were 1-7 after 8 games. This is why people think you are anti-Douglas. You make it seem like he took over a team on the rose and ruined them. Not the case.