Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What the article says is all well and good, but if Mims wasn't having to learn the slot WR position, he may already be ready to play, or at least would be able to focus solely on what he needs to know as the WR #1 or #2. and work on his route running.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Thanks for quoting it!

I always forget to do that

Noam likes this.
  3. Falco21

Is it so hard to understand that Mims isn't where he needs to be both physically and mentally?

You blame Saleh, then you blame Lafleur, now you're blaming Miles Austin. When do you blame the player?

Berrios learned the playbook. Moore is a rookie and learned the playbook. Davis learned the playbook. Crowder learned the playbook. Cole learned the playbook. But all the coaches are at fault because Mims hasn't learned the playbook?

I get your appreciation for Mims, I truly do, but watching this play out on here is laughable. You have blamed every single person under the sun but the actual player in question.

Mims isn't on the field because he is not ready to be on the field. Every single clue points exactly to that.

ouchy, cval, Ralebird and 5 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Laugh all you want. Saleh hasn't said anything about his not being ready to play physically. I know you know how talented Mims is, and he can help this team. Evidently Mims is a little on the slow side mentally. How is it I'm supposed to blame him for that? Saleh has said on several occasions how hard Mims is working. What's he (Mims) supposed to do? I'm certain that he knows enough that he could play more snaps than Smith or Berrios and not be a liability, or at least could, if he wasn't having to waste his time learning to play the slot WR position, learn a package of plays so that he gets regular action every week. It isn't rocket science!!! Most teams do everything they can to help young players get on the field. They develop packages for them. The find a niche for them. Not the effing Jets. They pile needless shit upon him to make it harder for him so he is stuck on the bench. BRILLIANT!

I guess if we draft Thibodeaux next year, he should have to sit on the bench while he learns to play DT and LB or maybe CB. Maybe we should bench Zach and make him learn to play RB and WR.

Everyone knows that I couldn't stand Rex Ryan, but he did one thing that was truly right. He had that motto of "KISS" (Keep it simple, stupid!) and make it fun. With the way the team played this past Sunday, and with the few reps Mims got, the offensive system is obvious too difficult for the team to grasp and play at a high level. So I guess we should be patient and wait 5 years and maybe by then they'll know the system and be able to play competently.

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. Falco21

Again I really think you are overthinking this and making it much more than it is. Mims is not ready mentally or physically. Of course Saleh is not going to say that to the press.

They aren't teaching him fuckin rocket science. Why is it that every other receiver has picked it up but him? You don't find that alarming?

You keep blaming the staff and the system, but again, if this were true, every receiver would be suffering the same outcome, not just one.

And Elijah Moore was drafted this year. He's seeing the field. If we draft Thibodeaux, maybe he'll have more than a pea brain and be able to learn the system like Elijah Moore has.

Mims would not help this team if that article is true. Mims would hurt this team which is why he is not playing. If you really think this coaching staff is keeping a player on the sideline that could not only help this team but help Zach's growth, then you are completely gone.

Again, it's time to start pointing blame at the player himself, not everyone else around him

Bellys Lies and blackssmagic like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's nonsense to put in that article that he just needs time. The second year is huge for a receiver. If they don't take a step forward they usually end up like Breshad Perriman or Josh Doctson. He has this year to get on the field or else the odds say they're likely going to be a journeyman fourth or fifth option.

The good thing is that he doesn't have Randy Moss and Torry Holt in front of him and he still has 16 games to really kickstart his career.

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You are reading far too much into the first bit of what Saleh said and far too little into the second imo, which is ironic since you lambasted someone for their comprehension earlier in the thread. The entire quote is:
    “When you’re not one of the main three (wide receivers) you got to know all three spots, and you got to know them at a high level so you can step in and take advantage of all those opportunities.”
    So he's not saying that Mims has to know every position as such, he is saying that because he isn't a starter and has a limited understanding of all the positions it limits how many opportunities he is going to get in a game. If Davis needs a break Mims goes in. If Moore does then it will be someone else. Essentially, that because he doesn't know every position he can't spell every starter so his in game reps will be limited to what he is currently capable of doing at a high level when a backup is needed to do that. Game planning I'm sure is a factor too. That's likely a very small number of reps in most games. If, heaven forbid, Davis went down I'd anticipate Mims getting a good number of reps as his replacement. In this scenario if he didn't then maybe there would indeed be something to worry about.

cval and Lon Chaney like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If Mims spent enough time on the can to lose twenty pounds while he had food poisoning he should have used that time to know every play for every position in the entire offense, not just that of the receivers. How can someone sing the praises of the coaching staff for months and curse them after one game?

cval likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Utter nonsense! I've done nothing of the kind. Sorry that your own poor reading comprehension and poor logic enables you to see the truth of the situation. As I clearly said, it makes total sense that Mims would have to know the #1 and #2 WR spots and their responsibilities. It makes zero sense that Mims would have to learn the slot WR position. He is not a slot WR, and the Jets have 4 WRs who are better suited to play that position, so it's a waste of his time to have to learn the slot WR position.

10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with my comprehension thanks. You've just reminded me why I just ignore you most of the time. The same sorry of belittling shite toward anyone who dares to raise an argument to your preordained world view. There's basically just one person going on and on about this but you still can't let it go or conceive that there is a perfectly good reason he didn't get many snaps.

Ralebird and FJF like this.
  11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Mims produced last season pretty decently for a rookie playing in an abysmal Case offense.

Mims produced in his limited reps in his only preseason game.

Mims produced while only being on the field for for two snaps.

He needs to step his effort up in learning the playbook but at the same time the coaching staff needs to do a better job of getting him on the field going forward.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Saleh and Lafleur are playing the long game here. Lafluer has talked about how much easier it is on the players after 1, 2 and 3 years in the system. That next year they will be able to so much more. It is a huge learning curve for the WRs, QB, and OL. The 2017 49ers started out 0 and 9 before things clicked. As a fan base this year might really test our patience and we as fans are not known for patience. Hopefully the long term reward is worth this short term pain.

BrickcityJet and FJF like this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Excellent point. Remember Cole is on a one year contract and Crowder is as good as gone. Moore will move to the slot and that will open up a spot.

I'm not sure what the dying need is to have Mims on the field. Did the other guys stink up the place last Sunday? Moore was not very good but he is more of a talent than Mims and I have no issue with him starting over him. Davis is our #1 and Crowder is Crowder. Put it this way. We aren't losing any games because Mims isn't on the field enough. The whole uproar over this should be filed under "bitchin' just to bitch."

The best thing I can say is that after one week I'm happy we aren't reading about what a bust Wilson is. It was touch and go after the interception and I'm sure the keyboards were fired up and ready to go. Thank God for the second half :D

MoWilkBeast, cval, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

That's your opinions. I think Mims can help us win games and develop further for the future by playing.

blackssmagic and ouchy like this.
  15. bicketybam

Fair enough. Do you think we would have won last Sunday had he been on the field more?

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

whoa a reasonable post,,,

;-)

17. NCJetsfan

I can't say for certain, but I think it's certainly possible.

18. NCJetsfan

That's a matter of opinion. Preordained world view. What a dumbass! Fine with me. Good riddance!

Now that you mention it there's no reason I should continue to look at your inane posts, which when directed towards me are mostly insulting.

19. bicketybam

Was he going to play OL? :D

I can't see any possible scenario where we win if he was a starting WR. We didn't lose because of our wideouts.

I'm sorry but that's a terrible take. There are a lot of reasons why we lost but Mims not getting enough plays isn't even on the map. No offense, but I couldn't disagree more.

FJF, ouchy and REVISion like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Joke aside, again, you're entitled to you opinion. I don't see that there's anything even remotely terrible about it. Jets WRs dropped 5 passes in the game, 4 of which were in the first half, and one of those was the long pass to Moore. Three of those may have been in the first quarter alone. That kills confidence and momentum, and gave it to Carolina. If Moore catches that long pass, as imo he should have, the momentum could have shifted, especially if the Jets scored there. Perhaps Mims would have caught that long pass and the other passes that were dropped.

Mims is also a good blocker, so your joke, isn't so much of a joke. He would have helped in the rushing attack, especially if LaFleur had run wide instead of up the gut.

Noam likes this.