Film Cut-Ups From Week 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Brutal, just brutal. He gets at least partially beat almost every play. Looking at this, as bad as Becton was, he is a huge loss. I am now even more puzzled why CS started him over Moses.

cval likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thanks Max. I appr. the time spent on this.

I get fans who say we need a quick, short game plan to protect Z. We need two elements for that to work: Good TE play and good run game. Right now, we have neither. Our TE play wasn't terrible on Sunday, but it was pedestrian at best. And if we can't run the ball, and our TE's aren't a threat, then there's nothing left for the defense to do but unload on the QB.

As bad as our pass-pro blocking was, our run blocking was even worse, if that's even possible.

Max: As you scan to horizon, what would you do if you were JD and Saleh combined?

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Reading posts defending any aspect of the OL play gives me the giggles.

Talk about low expectations... :confused:

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah they looked terrible Sunday. I realize they didn't play together as a unit this is summer and it’s a work in progress but more work is needed on the unit this coming offseason. Maybe more work than what we originally thought....

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well, I have really only written about the OL so far, specifically about individual performances.I don’t see how Fant is going to make some dramatic turnaround in pass protection, and I suppose AVT could be better Week 2, but I’m not counting on that. We can expect the line to be better by seasons end in terms of individual progression, but there are ways to help Wilson more immediately that I would say are more realistic.

1. Communication has got to be much better with the OL. You can scheme around players struggling a bit but you can’t completely blow assignments consistently. The coaches have to get them working better as a unit.

2. The Jets RB’s and TE’s we’re not great in pass protection. What they are asked to do is not as much talent or skill based but more mental. You have to hope there are less mistakes there.

3. TE run blocking needs to be better.

4. You can’t have RB’s hitting the wrong hole in the run game like they were this week.

5. The number of drops in this game was terrible. You just can’t have that, and it was everyone. WR’s TE’s RB’s all dropped passes throughout the whole game.

If you can fix most of those mental errors they probably won’t win, but at least the they won’t get Wilson destroyed in the process. I don’t think you can pull the trigger on any major roster moves until Becton’s second opinion comes back, in the case that he needs surgery.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I trust your opinion, I know you made the cutups. I still trust my eyes though. I don't think Fant was the worst lineman on Sunday.

Regardless. Hopefully they all improve this week.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. MaximusD163

How would you rank the OL? For me they are in tiers

1. Becton

2. McGovern
    3. Van Roten

4. Vera-Tucker

5. Fant

I’m not saying Becton played like a pro bowler but I thought he was a good player. If McGovern and Van Roten played the way they did and they were your worst O Linemen you’d probably be ok, hopefully. To me Vera-Tucker was bad and Fant was truly terrible.

Noam, cval, IIMeanDeanII and 2 others like this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I mean, It depends on your criteria overall, yeah? We talking pass pro, run blocking? Overall?

McGovern was the worst run blocker (by far). Mekhi was the best overall. IMO
    Vera-Tucker was the worst pass blocker. I thought GVR was the best overall. IMO

Overall though..

I also think Becton was the best.

1. Becton
    2. Morgan Moses (Not really fair considering he came In second half, off the bench, with limited snaps overall)
    3. GVR
    4. George Fant
    5. McGovern
    6. AVT (His pass blocking was that bad to me. Easily the worst. IMO)

I Initially thought McGovern was more consistent but after seeing how much he was getting moved around, constantly using improper technique, and his awareness was shit all game. AVT I think will be a good one, he showed dominance overall, but, he got worked In pass protection. It was really bad to me. GVR was mediocre to me In both pass pro and In the run but was at least fairly consistent to me. Fant definitely had a bad day too but I felt he was dominate In the run game and held his own for the majority of passing snaps. He obviously has work to do, just like everyone else, I don't feel he was the worst though. Morgan Moses actually looked really good to me, which surprises me a lot that he wasn't the starter over Fant. He just looked better all the way around to me, again though, coming off the bench, that late In the game, makes life easier. So we will see. Becton was by far the best OL we had, all the flack he Is getting Is a carry over from a poor offseason. He was the best overall lineman In both the pass and run game. Easily the best lineman In my eyes. I agree with you there.

So, yeah, that's my vantage point on It.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Max: I posted this question to you earlier but didn't see your response. If Fant was so terrible, why did the OL improve after Becton went out? Not being snarky, I really trust your opinion and want to know how if Becton was the best, and Fant the worst, how does the OL improve after Fant replaces Becton?

10. MaximusD163

I think it’s just false perception that the OL improved, because they scored a 2nd TD at the end. Becton got hurt at the end of the 3rd quarter on the TD play.

There were only 2 drives without him, both in the 4th quarter for a total of 16 plays. 1 stalled for a punt, the other was the 2nd TD. The OL was very bad, Zach got hit a few times just in those 2 drives including that absolute crusher that made everyone worried about a concussion.

To me there were 3 reasons they looked better later:

1. LaFleur did a better job of scheming some quick throws for Wilson.
    2. The receivers didn’t drop every pass
    3. Wilson played well, and showed a ton of toughness.

11. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

Did not see the game I watched only the Red Zone. Not many Jet games on locale tv especially since the Raiders moved here. But here are the rankings from PFF:

Fant 60.1 38th/64
    AVT 65.1 24th/64
    McGovern 45.1 27/33
    GVT 54.3 49/64
    Moses 63.2

Zac Wilson 63.2 24/32

According to these marks the center and RG were dismal the first week. I hope to see a big improvement the 2nd game.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's what I said 100 times on here from watching the film over and over. AVT though was bailed out on his overall grade becuase he did a great job in run blocking but was piss poor in pass blocking. GVR and mcgovern were bad in every facet and fant got beat too many times

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe they should run some rollouts and quick passes to avoid the rush.

14. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

You are right. Still learning PFF. This is the breakdown on Pass Block and Run Block.

Fant PB 48.9 RB 67.4
    AVT PB 40.6 RB 74.2
    McGov PB 49.3 RB 41.9
    GVR PB 58.0 RB 51.0
    Moses PB 81.0 RB 71.8

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

we should literally run the gameplan carolina used against us. thei'r o-line had the worst blocking grade of any team. we were beating them but only got 1 sack. they were just getting rid of the ball very fast

16. MaximusD163

The only way that works is a big day from Elijah Moore. The Jets don’t have any other player that presents the kind of threat that makes that effective. It worked for the Panthers because of McCaffrey

17. GasedAndConfused

yeah we dont' have a c-mac but if we can't protect zach we need to make quick throws. crowder will be back too which helps

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

Crowder will probably help. But quick throws can also be quick tackles, so you need a guy who threatens the defense with a quick throw

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seeing how this is a version of the West Coast Offense, why aren't we seeing quick slants? All the Jets' WRs should be good at those.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Shhh...

Belicheck might hear you... ;)

dmw likes this.