Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

A sack is such a negative outcome that even allowing one of them means you had a bad game. It's a drive killer most times it happens, just short of being as bad as an outright turnover.

Who is saying Becton got beaten every play? Talk about a straw man.

He did allow multiple pressures other than the sack, for what it's worth, so you can't just say he had one bad play the entire game. That's preposterous.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He did not allow multiple pressures and allowing one sack is not a horrible game. He had one bad play on passing plays. I am not going to go back and find your threads about Becton being a bust and fat and lazy. There where several posters saying he got beat every play.

Becton played decent it is ok to say it .

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and becton had 80% of plays where he won his block so how is it not the same? zach had more bad throws then becton had bad blocks. Like I said I expect avid fans to be more realistic. but instead most fans want all the blame at o-line and never the "sexy positions" moore had an awful game nobody said jack about it. We do have o-line issues but becton is not it. GVR amd mcgovern were awful. AVT was bad in pass protection. our TEs and RBs couldn't pick up blitzes. some can be fixed with communications but those are the areas we need to look at. becton getting beat once is the least of our issues

NCJetsfan, bicketybam and cval like this.
  4. REVISion

He was literally disciplined by the team last year for being too fat. You're one of a few people here acting like it's a total fabrication that he's been having weight issues.

Continue to bury your head in the sand if you'd like. I'll choose to operate in the real world.

And he did allow multiple pressures on Sunday, actually.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

So he is to fat and Lazy and because of that he had a bad game? No, he did not allow multiple pressures.

6. REVISion

No, he's fat because he is literally fat. Becton is one of the 10 heaviest players to ever play in the NFL. And again, he was LITERALLY disciplined by the team last year for being overweight.

Heaven forbid we accept reality.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Some people see what they want to see and you can't convince them otherwise. It is what it is.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Thats my issue with REVISion and others, he can have a bad game and he’s going to have more in his career. But the calling him fat, the fact that now posters want to trade him, he’s so injured and now he won’t be reliable like…dude is only 22 years old. It’s football and guys get hurt. This is a young team, it would be silly for the youngest team in the league to give up on a 22 year potential franchise tackle.

9. Mogriffjr

He came into the league as 364 lbs and honestly him being fat wasn’t mentioned until this year because he struggled and articles came out that he finished 2020 around 380. So you had issues with him from the get go. Got it.

bicketybam and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Total strawman from most of TGG.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If this board had it their way, the Jets would hire a new coach and GM every year.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  12. REVISion

People with brains speculated that a man weighing even 364 lbs was probably more likely to have injury problems than guys who weigh less.

That isn't a vendetta against Becton, it's simple logic. More pressure on your lower body joints means it's harder to recover from injuries.

If that means I "had issues with him from the get go" then so be it. I don't know what world you live in where people aren't supposed to speculate about football players on a football forum.

13. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Here he clearly blocks the wrong guy leaving AVT with nobody to block
    https://media.giphy.com/media/C3eeR...2254c99d90&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=g

He gets straight beat here
    https://media.giphy.com/media/oxwfc...891f555c8d&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=g

He blocks nobody here
    https://media.giphy.com/media/4WI1e...8be5f4935f5e9ba777dc1a4595&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

That's not including all the other bad plays. They said he was overweight and he was getting beat around the edge in practice. That's exactly what we saw. He looked slow like a guy who should be playing guard not left tackle.

REVISion and ouchy like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think you have a hard time believing Becton isn't a franchise tackle. As of now, he isn't one. Not just because of size or some missed blocks. But because he cant stay on the field. A guy who goes on IR 5 times in his first 17 games is not reliable enough to be a franchise player. Now we must factor in his weight hampering his recovery of various injuries, and increasing the potential for future injuries, and its time to start considering better option. Or we can go into next season with him and have the same issues.

We cant trade Becton this year because we need all the help we can get in pass protection. But if we can get first round pick for him in the offseason, then ya - cash him out before his value plummets even more. If not, keep him for depth. But either way draft someone who can be a potential franchise tackle.

REVISion likes this.
  15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Stop arguing Becton skill. Argue if this big boy is ever going to complete a season?

16. Mogriffjr

Lol Becton has not been on IR 5 times. See the misinformation is wild to me. If he ends up not being a franchise tackle then he doesn’t. But one doesn’t simply have the potential one year then in a span of training camp, he doesn’t.

And he’s absolutely not getting traded. This is ridiculous…he’d have to be Isaiah Wilson bad with play, and off field antics to be traded. And again if you’re trading him for a first he’s not getting traded in the first place for a team that’s looking for it’s bookend tackle there.

Y’all do realize players can develop and get better? To think we’ve seen his best play seems weird to me. To write off a 22 year old kid seems weird.

#236 Mogriffjr, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Becton missed time twice last season and three times already this season. Maybe the concussion wasn't technically IR. But you get the point.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) he didn't block the wrong guy. jets had a FB (TE lined up at FB) and HB in the backfield. at the snap the FB instantly goes to that side to help the HB with the DE without even looking at the development. clearly it was meant to have a TE and RB double team the speed rusher on the outside and slide the rest of the protection. Probably to help with the interior penetration and give zach a pocket to step up in.

2) it is the 1 play he got beat but he did hold his block for about 4 seconds which is still good. darnold was getting the ball out in 2.5 or less on 70% of his throws. zach needed to feel it and move out or step up or release the ball. When i reviewed it , I gave becton 50% blame and zach 50% blame on that one

3) I've explained this one 50 times over on here. how about joining the discussion to learn instead of posting BS over and over again and then ignoring any discussion about it. This one was on AVT and mcgovern

19. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

If you say #3 was not his fault OK. I find it strange that he did his job when he blocked nobody.

But he only got beat once? This doesn't count as getting beat? That throw is rushed because of his man.

[​IMG]

20. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

I was looking at the play where Becton got hurt. Notice how it was Roten's guy who destroys him and then falls on Becton's legs from behind injuring him.

Pay attention to the guard at the bottom, Van Roten. He gets run over and his guy injures Becton.

[​IMG]