Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

First of all, I have been a Jets fan the majority. Of the same time frame you have. You have not seen complete rebuilds, you have seen half ass rebuilds, retools, rebuild while staying competitive, etc. This is one of the first tear it completely down and build it back up rebuilds we have seen, finally. Well guess what? These take time.

Trust me, the one thing I know about Jets fans is they will bitch, incessantly so go on with your bitching. I won’t try to stop you, just laugh at you.

I can assure you though, you do not know after 1 game that JD has done a terrible job of securing a decent OL.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Nobody knows for sure yet but most of the evidence we have indicates the OL still sucks.

It was bad last year, only looks slightly different this year, it was getting destroyed the entire offseason by multiple different pass rushers from multiple teams, and it looked atrocious in the first real game this season.

If your conclusion is anything other than "It's not looking good" then you're lying to yourself.

That's subject to change, of course, but that's the way it currently looks.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  3. Attackett

Last year means nothing to me, it was part of the teardown, this is first year of the rebuild.

I’m not lying to myself, I’m just logical and rational instead of illogical and irrational like most Jets fans. OL play is like 70% cohesion if not more, making judgements after one game is completely irrational.

KY Jets Fan, Noam, cval and 2 others like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The logical conclusion is that a bad unit will continue to play badly until proven otherwise.

What you're doing is hoping. We all like to hope, but we shouldn't unless we have a valid reason to. Until our OL proves to us that they can play well for multiple games in a row I'll continue to believe that they are what they've shown to be - bad.

papapump likes this.
  5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

If this OL as presently constituted "continues" to play as poorly as they did Sunday, then I say its on JD and CS. If it continues, I would point my finger at the CS more because IF the OL players continue to have issue and its not attributed to physicality, then the players and the scheme are seemingly not compatible and therefore, require adjustments. If as in the past, they, the CS, stick to their scheme w/o adjustments and OL continues to fail, then guess what guys, this CS may not be who we thought they were.... we'll see.

Furthermore, in yesterdays' HC presser, he stated that a lot of the issues they had were not evident during TC and that the RB and OL had a good week of practice. I find that statement about issue dubious. It was clear, at least to this writer, that during joint scrimmages they were not playing well. indeed, if you recall our OC stated after the Packers scrimmage that PP was not great (something to that effect). AS for them having good practices, I heard that same comment over the years and it concerns me... again, we'll see soon enough.

So after two drafts and FA where are we? Its one game, if we are having the same conversation after a few more games, then yes JD and CS need to take it on the chin and Ill be leading the charge.

papapump and ouchy like this.
  6. Attackett

Well duh, no shit I’m hoping this rebuild works out, I’m sure we all agree on that. You do you though, keep making judgements on a unit after one game that takes cohesion as a u it to succeed and I’ll keep thinking that is silly AF.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like Becton, Vera Tucker, and McGovern. George Fant was not a good signing by JD.

He was an UDFA that was transitioned to offensive lineman and was a spot starter and backup his short career as lineman. He was never a good pass blocker and JD gave him $30 million dollars.

I get it, sometimes those signings work out but this was not a good signing period. It’s not a scheme issue with Fant, it’s a talent issue he’s not good enough to play as a starter and it will come back to haunt JD.

Noam likes this.
  8. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

First of all, laugh at this. I have seen a number of rebuilds as have many of the older Jets fans on here.

I didn’t realize that you have your own set of standards for a “complete rebuild”. Furthermore it’s interesting as to how you are able to tell us all how it will take time, and to be patient. Are you rubbing your crystal ball?

The bottom line is the OL looks like crap. The Bills rebuilt by getting their line onboard then bringing in the QB. As Allen progressed, they went out and got the #1 receiver.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Serious question: what years were the rebuilds? I’m curious to see what the roster looked like year over year when they happened.

I can’t really recall the last time that the team was this young and starting so many 1st and 2nd year players. The 90’s maybe?

Noam likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

JD is in his 3rd season, but this is the first year of the rebuild?
    cmon now. That's not logical.
    In his first year here, even tho he didn't select the draft pieces, he did start with the tearing down.

At some point results have to be had.
    We are coming off the most miserable season in Jets history under JD's watch.
    We've also burned thru one QB on his watch, and are risk of doing the same again.

#70 BacktoQueens, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Bellys Lies and Ralebird like this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think if you sub out Anderson's name for Mims, your post would be more accurate.

That's the one trick pony this board seems to be obsessed about.
    Would much rather have Anderson on this team.

Red Menace, Ralebird and Falco21 like this.
  12. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Here's my more comprehensive assessment. Take it for what it's worth:

JD came into a very dysfunctional situation--owner was overseas--incompetent coaching staff--recently banished GM--and a bare cupboard.

Remember, the job of a GM is to find players that fit the play style of the systems ran by the coaching staff. It's literally year 1 in the new staff--there's a good chance we are going to have to trade or shuffle through some of the ones from the past two drafts.

To this point:

1) He fixed the cap situation, besides Mosely we don't really have older players taking up big cap space
    2) INCREDIBLE value on trades, got rid of a problematic player for a ransom and a QB that was an underacheiver and showed more of the same in that Carolina game if you ask me
    3) Brought in a very qualified coaching staff with Saleh and company
    4) Put more resources into our facilities and training staff
    5) Bettered our relationship with our local media, seems it's way less dysfunctional now
    6) Brought in a QB that most are saying might have the best ceiling in this past draft
    7) Shown willingness to invest in our Oline (AVT, Becton, Clark, Fant) attempted for Thuney--even though some of them look questionable the effort and value were there on the draft board
    8) More depth at WR, we're actually arguing about it now (good thing)
    9) Excellent feel for navigating the draft board and facilitating trades
    10) Landed some good value free agents and doesn't overpay

Like I said in a previous post, I'm not happy that some of our picks haven't quite lived up the hype yet--but some of that is injury, some is they haven't developed and other due to the inconsistency of coaching staff. We need to let JD finish his contract (3 years left) and work on this thing with the current staff to really see what we have. In terms of a resume, it's going to be hard to find a more qualified front office and coaching staff than we have right now.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem isn't that the roster in general is weak; we knew that was that the case. The problem is that Douglas jumpstarted the OL rebuild by investing a ton of resources into it, which means if he did a good job, the line should be good right now. But he did a bad job, which makes it less likely that he'll be able to build the rest of the roster.

papapump, REVISion and Royal Tee like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He was hired June 7th 2019, so he’s been with the team for a little over 2 years.

Were you really expecting the man to turn this clusterfuck of a franchise around in a little over 2 years?

Cmon now.

ColoradoContrails, cval and PJ4Ever like this.
  15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Probably, but we don’t deal in probabilities. We wait to see how they pan out. Early returns aren’t good for sure.

16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

If they can’t find a way to fit guys as talented as Becton and Mims into their “system,” then they hired the wrong coach yet again. Honestly it’s been my main concern w Saleh so far. He said he didn’t know if Moseley would fit in his system. Your system should be molded around your players and damn well shouldn’t be rigid enough where you can’t fit in CJ fucking Mosley.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why are people so loyal to C J fucking Mosely?

He has given us 1/4 of quality football and then spent two seasons collecting his paycheque, can't say he played well v Panthers tbh.

If a coach has a system in mind wtf should he change it to a guy that has given us fuck all?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it happens all the time in this league

PJ4Ever and All Gas No Shake like this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not loyal to Mosley, I’m loyal to the fact that he’s a talented football player that Jets can’t get rid of right now. Talent is what wins games in the NFL. Mosley lost weight to fit the system being used.

I expressed concerns about CJ playing in the new system last year, because he came from a 3-4 ILB position to now playing MLB.

Saleh needs to find a way to use this man because Jets need all the help they can get right now.

ColoradoContrails and PJ4Ever like this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think we have had a team this young since 1977. This rebuild most closely resembles the 77-78 rebuild. 77 is the only time I can recall us doing a complete tear down like we are doing now. Lots of young players after getting rid of a lunatic HC. Hopefully, we get the same kind of results.

ColoradoContrails likes this.