Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But the solution to the problem is not to compare the guy to the guys who have failed before him but to those around him who have succeeded.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I really still don't understand this infatuation with Robby Anderson. The guy only knows how to fuckin run straight.

He had one fuckin catch for 57 yards against us and it was blown coverage by a safety who signed with us 2 weeks ago.

I really don't get it

KingRoach and REVISion like this.
  3. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Douglas appears to have a plan which is more than i can say about the last few regimes. BUT the fact that O Line was his priority from Day 1 and 2 drafts and 2 FA periods later Zach took that level of beating Sunday is a disappointment to say the least.

Just HOPING that 2 things over-emphasized how bad the line was - 1) James Morgan giving away the offense and protections (which is a big deal. With a rookie QB I am sure there weren't a ton of different complex protection changes in his arsenal so while keeping it simple, it was easy for Morgan to give Carolina basically everything and 2) the number switch an hour before the game also hurt the protections.

I am not saying this is why they got their asses kicked solely, just merely grasping for straws and hoping that these 2 factors had an impact on the O Line looking worse than any of us dreamed they would

Sec124DieHard and Cman68 like this.
  4. Falco21

Again, as it has been stated NUMEROUS times in the last few days, the issues with the offensive line were not because of lack of talent. You have to keep in mind that this line has not played long together at all. Becton was out the last few weeks. AVT just came back a few weeks ago.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He is about 75 per cent better than Mike Mac who had no clue

I love the trades JD has made for us but but unfortunately his 2020 draft class is a big question mark and the OL situation has been talked to death about

All GM have swings and misses on players

What I am focused on is his hire of SALEH and LAFLEUR ...that to me is crucial for the Teams success since as we all should know it starts at the Top! Gimme some Wins and all this GM talk will end

PJ4Ever and IDFjet like this.
  6. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Just because it's been mentioned numerous times doesn't make it accurate. We all know they didn't all play together all pre season. But the entire preseason reported they didn't look good in joint practices and it showed Sunday. Becton getting beat all pre season prior to the injury was reported MULTIPLE times. The interior lineman also struggled in joint practices. So either we don't have the right horses or the coaching/scheme is not where it needs to be. Probably both. But stop acting like Douglas can never ever ever be criticized.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

The honeymoon is starting to run short for sure. I don’t think JDs in trouble nor should he be. He inherited a god awful mess of a roster. He tore it down. He’s now had two drafts and two free agency periods to fix it, and he just hired a new staff. So he’ll get his time. And all those are valid reasons why we are where we are….learning a new system, starting g the youngest roster in the league. Al good.

all that being said, I expected better OL play after 2 drafts and 2 free agency classes. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. They were damn fucking horrid on Sunday against a very good, not elite, defense. Six sacks and countless more hits is NOT acceptable. No push in the running game is not acceptable. We have 2 top 15 picks on the line. The rest are all free agents that JD brought in. This is not Macs shitty line anymore. This is now JDs shitty line. So yeah, new scheme which is different than the old scheme is a part of the issue, and maybe the coaches can get it sorted out so that we are better in a few weeks than we were on Sunday. That’s probable.

but still…that shitshow on Sunday was concerning, and I think we all have the right to expect MUCH better

8. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

While this seems like "getting value," I agree that it really increases the likelihood of them missing time or being lost for the season. If you mix that with drafting guys who get hurt, or 1st and 2nd rounders that don't start there will never be a foundation to build on. Becton, while he had an enormous upside, has the body type that also is more prone to injury. Mims, who the fuck knows what his problem is.

I know they don't have that much in common, but Becton almost has me thinking of Greg Oden when he was drafted out of Ohio St. I know Oden was hurt in college, and Becton wasn't. But, when big men get get hurt early in their careers, they almost never stay healthy long term.

REVISion likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Can we talk about this? How the hell does the NFL allow it? If I’m the Jets, I would switch the numbers of all 11 defensive starters hours before each game every week in protest. Maybe once the Jets do it, the league will ban it anyway so it’s a win-win.

10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I agree. It's the WOW factor that everyone likes. He doesn't do all that much consistently, but when he does anything, it looks a lot like what he did to us on Sunday. I'd rather have Crowder making catches and moving the chains all game long.

FJF likes this.
  11. Falco21

I, in no way, said Douglas can never be criticized. In fact, on here after the game I had mentioned that it is alarming given the amount of resources put into this line. At the same time, I did re-watch the game and I did read further into the stats on the game and it is clear that the offensive line issues were not due to lack of talent. There were a mixture of things causing issues, particular multiple assignments missed by our tight ends and/or running backs. Pair that with the unfamiliarity playing together and the changing of two players numbers right before the game and you will have the result we had.

Just blaming Douglas and not evaluating everything as a whole is wrong, in my opinion.

12. Falco21

I have no idea. I said the same thing.

And apparently the NFL approved the change on Wednesday of last week.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Of course they have a negative impact on a play. It's good to get pressure. There are a couple issues though.

We're never going to agree on the PFF nonsense so I'm going to try to keep our opposing views on it out of this discussion.
    1. What constitutes a pressure is completely objective no matter what you say. Different eyes can attribute different things in said advanced analytics.
    2. Pressures can still result in positive plays for the offense, sacks cannot.
    3. Most high quality edge rushers don't need pressures solely to weigh whether they're good or not because they close the deal.
    4. An edge rusher who has 15 sacks has ten less pressures than a guy with 5, no? Or is it considered a pressure as well?

I go back to my Cowboys PFF post a whole back.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-pass-rush-rankings

They had 31 sacks, gave up bottom ten yards/pass a game, fifth most passing touchdowns, and bottom ten passer rating.

If pressure were equal to sacks or indicated blue chip pass rushers, wouldn't a team that essentially had three (using PFF's grading system and pressure statistics) have had a much better pass defense?

Carl Lawson had 12 more pressures than Myles Garret. Who would you rather have?

I like Lawson. I like the contract he was given as I thought it was going to be closer to 4 years/$70-$80 million and it wasn't. Joe paid him correctly, even with the injury history. But he's treated as much more around here than he is and would've gotten a much bigger contract if NFL teams took pressure rate into account as they do sacks IMO.

#53 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  14. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I think we agree. I am in no way placing all the blame on Douglas. My post clearly says he's the only GM we've had in a while that actually has a plan. I just think he is not executing on that plan right now regarding the O line. If you read my past posts, he did in this draft/offseason EXACTLY what I thought he should do. Draft offense and defense be damned to some extent. LOVE the plan. But his O line rebuild, albeit after one game, has to be a concern the way that kid got beat up on Sunday

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. Falco21

Then yes, we agree. Apologies if it was taken a different way.

I am 100% on board to blame JD if this play continues. I just think there was A LOT of stuff that went into the poor play on Sunday. It was a perfect storm that resulted in a horrible outcome.

Either way, it is now time to trust in this coaching staff to make the adjustments. The halftime adjustments were great. I am hoping a week long of adjustments can turn things around for good.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think many of you understand what a compete rebuild is. Many of us have been hoping for a complete rebuild for years now we finally have a GM with the balls and contract to do it and we are gonna bail after one game? Jets fans never cease to amaze me.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

AMEN!!!!

18. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Bob Hayes made a career out of that with the Cowboys.

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I don’t think “facts” means what you think it means…

20. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

First of all, I am not bailing. Suffering with this team for over 50 years kind of proves that. I have seen more “complete rebuilds”, over the years than I care to remember.

JD has done a terrible job of securing a decent OL. They suck! If we are unable to protect our valuable investment, we are screwed.

It is our right to be able to bitch after years of suffering. Hopefully JD realizes that his priority is to keep Wilson alive.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.