Some examples of terrible O-line play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MowTin, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

These stats are absurd. There is no way anyone on the Jets OL deserved a percentage in the 60s, much less 70s-90s. ESPN just lost ALL credibility with me.

2. NCJetsfan

We definitely have talent on the OL. I never considered for one second that the problems were due to lack of talent. IMO it was clearly totally the scheme and poor execution/effort. Hopefully, you're right and they'll get it fixed this week. If not, Zach could wind up in the hospital.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, having digested what I saw, and what others saw and commented on here - and big thanks to the guys who took the time to break down the tape! - one thing that now occurs to me is that there may have been an element of over eagerness involved on the part of some guys. By that I mean guys over-reacting or over-committing instead of playing within themselves and assignments they were given. I may not be a blocking guru, but I DO know that for blocking to be effective all the blockers have to be in synch, and one or more are overreacting, that's going to ruin any synchronicity. I'm not saying this was the whole problem but I think it might've played a key part, and hopefully those who were guilty of this can see it on the tape and correct it.

4. NCJetsfan

I agree. Also, watch Becton. After he pancakes the first defender, he should have been able to take #31 out of the picture, but it looked like he was coasting (or maybe too slow because of his weight) and not giving enough effort. The play still could have had some success if Becton took care of business even after Johnson screwed up.

5. NCJetsfan

Excellent point!

and

I disagree here. It is a big deal. It is not acceptable for players to blow assignments. They are paid a shit ton of money to do their jobs. Also the Jets have a WR on their roster who is an excellent blocker, but he only got two snaps. Mims would have taken the defender out. In addition, Becton could have taken #31 out after he pancaked his man, but imo it looks like he either didn't hustle or is just too heavy/slow to have also take #31 out.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Just?

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, you have to ask yourself WTF has he done to piss off the CS so much?

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

O Line GENIUS I tell you. Wait till game 2 when they list all the Bums and Oline signings the great JD has glorified us with.
    I want to root for him after alllll these years of ineptitude but this blind faith thing and loyalty for nothing other than hope is a joke.
    His Olines have been SHIT!!!
    Accountability before ANOTHER QB gets his career killed.
    FIX IT!

ouchy and SOJAZ like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

becton was doing his assignment. the guy that got through was AVTs assignment but he was out of the play because of berrios. becton was heading upfield to take out the next level as was ty johnson. had berrios not whiffed it could have been a huge play. all the blocks outside were set up and moore had open field.

I'm not going to fault a small WR for missing on a chip. it's like faulting a punter for missing a tackle on special teams. berrios does his job well as a returner and slot WR. If anything I think lafaluer overthought himself. didn't want to tip his hand having a TE there but should have

Ralebird, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sw
    Agree completely with your last conclusion. We are too new, inexperienced as an offense to play cute and disguise the play by not playing the TE. Let’s get the basics down right and consistently first, with a bad ass blocking TE and FB and run the piss out of the ball more to set the stage from there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I agree, but #31 is the defender who made the tackle and he ran right past Becton. IMO it looks like Becton was trying to get to him and failed to do so. IMO it also was more important that if Berrios and AVT failed on their assignments that Becton cover by taking out both defenders rather than turning upfield. It's possible that some yardage could have still been gained if Becton had taken out #31. It's not a huge point, and maybe it's unrealistic to expect Becton to do that, but it seems logical to me.

I agree that I'm not going to fault Berrios here. I agree that LaFleur tried to get cute or overthought this. IMO it's not realistic to expect whether or not a play succeeds on Berrios making a block. That's a flawed play design unless it was designed with Mims in mind as that WR. If so, then Mims should have been in the game instead of Berrios. Now if Mims wasn't in the game because he didn't know that play, that's understandable.

I've been thinking more about this issue of Mims not playing. I've come up with three possible scenarios. One, I'm not saying that he is, but perhaps Mims is slow mentally. If so, then the CS would have known that, and that would/should have altered their expectations of Mims. If it's true that he's slow mentally, I can easily believe that since they had Crowder and were able to add Davis, Cole and Moore, that their plan was they'd keep Mims in reserve as Davis' backup this year, and give him time to learn the other two positions, and they had Cole, Smith and Moore they could play at the #2 WR spot. Perhaps they thought that would help Zach the most, and then Mims take over the #2 WR spot next year, or maybe even #1 if Davis didn't pan out. The second scenario is that maybe they view Mims and Davis as too similar in the type/style of receiver they are, and wanted to have a greater variety of styles of WR on the field at the same time, so it has nothing to do with how well Mims plays, it just that they wanted a different type of WR at the #2 spot. The third scenario was that the #2 WR would be chose by competition, and then when Mims got sick and missed two weeks at the beginning of OTAs and got so far behind, they altered their plans and opted to focus on Moore, Berrios and Smith, particularly Berrios since he made an early connection with Zach, and with Mims not having a lot of reps with Zach, the chemistry isn't there yet. Since they like Moore so much and like Berrios and Smith, they don't see any urgency in getting Mims onto the field.

I'd rather believe that it was one of those three scenarios rather than some stupid requirement that he learn all 3 WR positions at a high level. What are your thoughts?

12. GasedAndConfused

the lack of wesco at FB on sweeps really suprised me. hell with how bad the pass protection was I would have had wesco in at RB to protect zach. who cares if ti tips that it's a pass play, they were getting pressure non stop rushing 4 only because we let too many blockers through

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

it goes back to it's all connected. watch it again but look at it like this. Lets assume berrios does his job (basically the way it's drawn up) he chips out 43. becton pancakes his 1st man, then gets up field and takes out 4. AVT gets over and takes out 31. becton after his 1st pancake gets up-field and takes out 4 as well and ty takes out 26. how far does elijah go at that point. it's pretty wide open. It was a great playcall. they brought a blitz with 5 straight up the middle, going outside negates that entire rush and gives the jets numbers on the outside. we just didn't execute. Becton already had blocked 1 guy completly out of the play, asking to block a 2nd is pretty impressive. in itself. Expecting him to pancake a guy, then regain accelration and catch a guy who is almost past him and knifing in full speed that was someone else's job is near impossible. No o-lineman not even the best one in the NFL is going to pull that off. the awareness, decison making, and acelration/change of direction in split seconds is not possible. even if by somehow he took out 31, 4 and 43 were going to tackle him for a loss which were the 2 assigned to AVT and berrios.

As far as mims go, his spot in the system was basically taken by davis. so he needs to work his way into another spot or just be a depth piece. he may be slow and may take him more time but the talent is there and if davis was to get hurt (i hope he doens't) you'll likely see mims taking his spot. The staff likes moore and davis on the outside and crowder in the slot. they like cole becuase he can sub in to any of those 3. berrios is the primary back up slot and WR4 so mims is just kind of the odd man out. but crowder and cole are in their final year so mims could see a bigger role next year

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Agree about the CS. In todays presser HC included the CS as part of the issue. Next week BB coming and you better buckle up cause the OL is gonna see all kinds of stunts, blitzes and BB will plan for Wilson's tendency to rollout to the right. It could get very ugly... l hope I am wrong but you know BB loves to stick it to us...

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed, and I expect our D to take a similar approach and confuse the rookie QB. Offensively, we ought to reverse most of what we did this past Sunday. Roll left on running plays, mix the heavy run with a few reverses and a bunch of screens. what ever it takes to keep them guessing Hope we blow the roof of MetLife with noise. of course I know there is no roof.