For at least the 3rd consecutive year the Jets are top 5 in injuries

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 14, 2021.

1. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

According to spotrac (and I can't pull up date before 2019 due to needing a subscription) the Jets are AT LEAST in their 3rd season of having one of the most injury depleted rosters in football

It may even go back further, would be curious what the data was from 2018 and before

How does this constantly happen year after year? Regime after regime? New players get signed and drafted...some had injury issues, some didnt. But when they put on the green they all get hurt

Is this just typical Jets luck? Can't be just a coincidence

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

barfolomew and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any reasonable explanation. The Ravens had like five season ending ACL injuries in two weeks. Three runningbacks.

You can usually mitigate it by staying away from players that might have a history of it, but there is definitely an element of randomness to it at times. Especially with the non-contact stuff.

I'll forever maintain that these guys tape every joint on their body (specifically their ankles) way too much and way too tight. Stresses the other joints. But there's no science I can find to support that so it's basically a conspiracy theory.

Royal Tee and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Could also be the extremely low body fat percentage most of these athletes have.

barfolomew and FJF like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Lawson is the player who comes to mind when it comes to injury history. But, we needed a pass rush from the edge, so I get why he was signed.

Royal Tee and barfolomew like this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

This year we lost half FA signing that was supposed to have significant impact for the year, or 6 weeks in Jarrad Davis's case.

Cory Davis, Rankins, Kroft, and Hardee the only impact players remaining.

We lost Lawson, Curry, Joyner for the season and J Davis (6 weeks)

barfolomew likes this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes that has something to do with it. My opinion is the human body is only meant to add so much muscle. Also football today is a 365 day program with all of the off season workouts, drills, etc. These players today go full throttle because of the cut throat competition and that the reasonable expectation of an NFL career is only about 4-6 years. Make your money while you can. Therefore extra muscle on top of muscle, more workouts, more stress on the bodies particularly the joints and that leads to a higher percentage of injuries.

FJF likes this.
  7. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

And because of this it may not be entirely fair to paint the Jets to be as bad a franchise as they have been. No team has been as decimated in the last 3 years by injuries as we have been. We havent been close to having a full deck. ever

But do the Jets take some of the blame...do we have substandard trainers/doctors? Are we misdiagnosing things? Rushing guys back too quickly? Maybe we have the worst training staff in football. Maybe it's the little details too (such as the Metlife and practice fields conditions leading to injuries?)

or maybe we have the best and this is just more incomparable bad luck? Tough to say.

But it keeps happening.

barfolomew and mrjet80 like this.
  8. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

because players come to the NJ Jets for a paycheck and not a desire to win and be successful, therefore they do not prepare themselves properly or jump at the first opportunity to milk things that true champions play through. cj mosely quitting on us and our qb getting mono, last year, are good examples of that.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing from physios. Taping so tightly gives a sense of invulnerability and can lead to a player attempting to do things he wouldn't if he wasn't taped so heavily. It's an interesting theory.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll also say that the "advances" in equipment and all the extra "protection" that players have lead them to a sense of invincibility and they throw themselves around like human missiles. Adding to that the belief that pumping up and having more muscle isn't necessarily better, as stringer muscles can put more strain on ligaments and bones. Increasing muscle strength does not increase bone and ligament/cartilage strength. It's like jacking up your truck and not doing anything to alter the transmission and rear end - it may look cool, but functionally you've actually hurt its performance.

I've said this before: the NFL should significantly restrict the amount of padding and "protection" players can wear. When their bodies feel the pain that's a good thing, and should be enough to tell them they need to back off before they get really hurt.

Jonathan_Vilma and mrjet80 like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem with your theory is that most of the season ending injuries are non-contact injuries (knees or feet). But you're right as far as mitigating concussion issues and head/neck injuries I think.

Agree on all the points RE: body builder football players. More muscle than the joints can support. But there are also some players who can be that ripped and don't get hurt so everyone has to match that.

I also think there's a massive problem with these turf fields that they should examine. Grass is way better on the joints, but it doesn't play as fast. There has to be some sort of in between.

ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes and to slightly change the subject if you notice every single field looks the same now. Back in the day you could turn on the game and you know just by looking at the field where the game was being played. Even the domes had their own look. Now they are all the same ......it’s part of the generic brand the NFL has become.

13. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

It's crossed my mind. Some guys do seem to come hear and just stop caring (Trumaine Johnson. Revis stopped caring in 2016. Mo Wilk stopped trying.

14. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

I'd get mono too with that offensive line "blocking" for me.

barfolomew and mrjet80 like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Clearly Lawson didn't bulk up his hamstring like he should have.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think this is utter nonsense but whatever floats your boat. Players on this team give it 100% and more. If you think they are milking injuries you are draming. The thrive to compete and win.

17. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I will say from my experience as a bills fan that there is definitely a connection to the injuries perhaps being a preventable thing that the organization is not preventing. For years, the bills had the same issue, consistently being in the top of the league in injuries year after year. Bills fans thought it was just part of the curse of being a bills fan, until McDermott and Beane took over. They fired all the strength and conditioning coaches and assistants and the pegulas invested HEAVILY in prevention. They brought in top of the line strength coaches and build brand new facilities with new age techniques and equipment. They constantly monitor and think about each players body and their needs, and act accordingly. Since then, no injuries really to speak of (knock on wood). That opened my eyes a lot to injuries and how certain organizations who we previously thought were “snakebit” really may just have an issue with their emphasis on prevention.

18. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Any idea on strength and conditioning coaches and physical training changes in those years? I would imagine Saleh brought in a new crew but I don't know.

Can we get Sal Alosi back?

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It does seem like there are more joint-related injuries in recent years. That's purely anecdotal though.