Fans need to be patient

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think folks read too much into the media hype surrounding Zach and the new CS. The reality still hasn't set in that this was a 2 win roster last year and for the most part, they still are although upgraded at several positions. Nobody expected a great game, but no one expected the team to really suck for 30mins either. Everyone is fearful for Zach's safety and for good reason. Even the OL has admitted that they sucked and needed to protect Zach better.

Now for the reality of our situation in 2021. We are not contenders for anything other than another very high DP. We have a Maserati at QB but we're stuck in midtown traffic with the OL. We have an upbeat and younger CS but one that still has to learn how to come up with a winning game plan. They haven't yet won their 1st game as a staff. If Saleh were a HC with experience as a HC it would be different, but just like the entire Roster, CS and FO, everyone is in OJT mode.

This is what that looks like. You're better off expecting the worst and hoping for the best instead of the other way around. At least until these guys learn how to play winning football. Progress will happen when they win their first game. They will be factually better than the 2020 roster when they win their 3rd game. Do not let the Jets' PR machine hype you up to unrealistic heights. Believe what you see on the field. Believe what your eyes are telling you.

5 wins will be a miracle this year. I think 3 wins is far more realistic as there's not many teams on our schedule who are worse than we are atm.

2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Completely agree with your sentiments. We are the youngest team in football (i believe). I really had hope on sunday going into the game and still have hope after the game. I wasn't even disappointed that we lost. I loved seeing Zach play, he showed a lot of intelligence, athleticism, and discipline. The discipline part comes from his willingness to step up into the pocket when the line was stressed as opposed to how darnold would run to the outside.

AJW, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The youngest roster in the NFL, starting 9 rookies including QB, with a rookie HC and OC. With very obvious roster flaws that had a sticking plaster shoved on them because you can't do everything. Not to mention some key injuries. Why anyone was expecting any different I can't really fathom.

AJW, bicketybam, Noam and 2 others like this.
  4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I love you man, i have to disagree with you on the last point. Though the oline was ass especially in the first half, i think it is way better than last year. Wilson stepping up into the pocket was not just due to his discipline but to the offensive line showing cohesion at times.

I think we have improved massively over last year. Maybe i watched a different game than some of you complainers. Jk jk

5. Cman68

Just like players, the CS has to learn how to win as well. We forget this CS is also in OJT mode and in our division up against perhaps the smartest HC in the history of the game along with other teams that know how to win. In the AFCE, we're babies compared to the rest. Saleh and his staff need to revaluate their overall game planning and perhaps stop babying these guys with platitudes even when they suck. There are times to be nice, and there are times to put a foot in someone's ass. Stop handing out medals for participation and force his staff to admit what we all were witness to last Sunday. LeFleur would get a lot more respect if he flat out said " I fckd up" the gameplan last week. So far only crickets from the CS and honestly, we've seen this movie last year with Gase. If they're gonna hold the roster accountable, they need to hold themselves accountable as well or it all becomes just more bulllshit.

#45 Cman68, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LOL 8 games.

8 years bro.

Zack will be 30 and just entering his prime!

Patients!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Cman68

I'll take the over on that... 8 years :D

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

BE PATIENT! This is Joe Douglas' team building chart that gives the Jets a winning season by 2030 at the latest! BE PATIENT!

[​IMG]

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You could've found a chart that was much more funny and outlined your point much better. C'mon man. You're a funnier guy than that. I expect more.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Jets fans mantra right there.

The whole post was solid though.

The Jets aren’t going anywhere this season. No rational fan expected them to when considering the moves that Douglas has made.

If the Jets were a house the they would have been gutted last season. This season new fixtures/HVAC are being installed. Next season the paint, molding, and hardwood floors are redone and at that point things will start looking good.

11. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

I'll be patient with the players and the process.

I will NOT be patient with an OC who chooses his scheme over the talent/skills on the roster. That is a recipe for disaster now, and a recipe for disaster against smarter game planners in big games.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I can accept this as long as the house is built properly and becomes functional.

NCJetsfan and Jets81 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

its only been 1 week but i'd say our CB group was a pleasant surprise. I expected to get torched but carter II, echols, and hall all looked good.

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Eweeee.

Starting a thread and telling NYJ fans to have patience?

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Yikes.

15. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

We talked about this after the draft. It’s a young team and an O-line that hasn’t worked together. We knew this was going to happen.

Search your feelings, you know it’s true.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t frequent the board in the summer. It’s too much hype. The fact still is, we’re a young inexperienced team, with more talent than last year. For some reason we still haven’t shaken the injury bug though and that always costs us.

The next two games are going to be tough too. I’m going to wait a few weeks before I start saying the sky is falling. All I’m expecting is competitive ball; if we win the next two games great, but it’s a long shot.

There’s still plenty of football ahead of us boys. It’s not going to be roses, but it’s not going to be a dumpster fire either.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think some people are missing the point.

My stance on this season has always been the same - I can tolerate losing. Hell, I expect losing. I had no illusions about this being a good team. A 6 win season would be a gigantic improvement.

What I have absolutely 0 patience for is seeing pass protection like we saw on Sunday. Protecting Wilson is literally the most important thing for our entire franchise and it's the only thing we cannot afford to be miserable at this season, especially since JD has used a lot of resources on the OL lately. We were miserable at it on Sunday and it's not acceptable.

It's not hyperbole to say we were the worst team in the league at protecting our QB on Sunday, it's a fact. When you're the worst in the entire league at the one thing you cannot afford to be bad at right now it's perfectly fair to be outraged.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The OL definitely seemed to play better once Becton went down.

You're right that there's no way JD can find any quality OL at this point of the season. Maybe if some contender suffers a major injury or two and has a horrible record at the trade deadline has an older starter and a young OL behind him who they like, maybe they'll be willing to trade the older starter; otherwise, the CS is just going to have to get to work and do their jobs.

NYJetsO12 and barfolomew like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, we knew it was going to be a tough year with our minds, but it's our hearts that are aching now. There are a number of positives that we can take away from the Carolina game, including those you mentioned. We knew the OL would probably struggle, but we hoped that we were wrong. We also didn't think that they would look as bad/inept as they did, and we fear for Zach. We know that he is our future and don't want to see him injured or mentally ruined by taking a beating.

Jets81 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I truly hope so, but even a rookie OC should've been able to make some adjustments during the game. The good news is that I think he made some at half time, but he needed to make more. As you said, with a chance to see the film and more time to prepare hopefully he can produce something that keeps Zach out of harm's way. That said, we're playing the Patriots and BB has a long track record of destroying young QBs.

KY Jets Fan, NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.