Now that I have had 24 hours, a few coherent thoughts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I hope you're right about the Panthers def but I didn't go into that game thinking their roster was vastly superior to ours.

On point #3: NO. NO. NO. The drafts have been questionable and I want to see progress but I don't even want to hear about his seat getting warm. He has a plan and this franchise needs consistency almost as much as we need talent. Maybe he's not the guy maybe it doesn't work out but he signed a 6 year contract and I'm prepared to watch it play out good or bad

Jets81, PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

This is my real worry. That the scheme just doesn't fit the players

3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Why so down on becton. He was really good last year. He was decent yesterday before getting hurt. I think it is over reaction. As far as rest of 20 draft, can’t hit on all of them. Becton is starter (if not pro bowler, a quality starter), same with Hall. Mann is ok, but Amendola might take his spot. Lol. I am officially going to say Zuniga, Morgan, and Perine are bust worthy. Davis and Mims, jury still out, al the least they are NFL depth players, if not quality starters. So if they pan out, it wouldn’t be bad draft. I think expectation of JD is too high. The draft is a crap shoot sometimes, even the best GMs miss on picks. Writing off Becton after one bad game (in season) is ludicrous. Now he is hurt. So hopefully he comes back full strength mid season. Looks like Moses signing was a great one! We keep saying OL was weak link, the pass rush and vanilla offense were just as bad. I was at the game. The lack of pass rush was really problematic. Kept Carolina drives going. Just not good enough! I though play calling was not great! 4th down call the worst! It was 1st game, so give a pass to the OC. There were some promising plays! So I am encouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

No correlation to this thread but just happens to be where I was when the MNF 1/2time show (Boomer) quickly covered all the Sunday game.....Jets-Jags.....Darnold to Robbie long TD was the only highlight....figures! They did show a quick shot of some 12 yr old kid with a white headband sitting on the bench talking to the OC. Might have been LeFluer's grandkid.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Not down on him. Down on his weight and staying hurt because of that.

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Douglas seat is cold as ice. He’s had two off seasons to fix the worst franchise in the NFL and y’all have his seat warm already. It’s asinine.

7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

2020 draft class already seems awful.

2021, you’re up

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but all around the NFL most of the teams who lost this week had their fans blame it on a lousy offensive line. Not only is the demand incredibly high, what team is selling off an effective lineman after week one? Answer: No one.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

It’s not awful yet, there will be misses, Zuniga, Perine, and Morgan. They all were questionable at the time of the draft. But I would not call it awful yet. 2-3 starters, 1-2 depth players…. That is average. If not above. If hall and Becton become all pro, then definitely above. Jury is still out on this draft. This NOT idiotzk or Maxgagdumb draft just yet. Give it some time. It will be average at worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree that the 2020 class is looking pretty damn poor…Becton can’t stay on the field, Mims deserves to be on the field from what we’ve seen but for some reason the coaches disagree, Davis was always a fast guy but not a great player, Zuniga was dogshit, Perine was mediocre….Clark can’t see the field, , leaving Mann and Hall. Two guys who’ve done well, and Becton is still capable, but yeah, overall too many disappointments.

still…I wouldn’t agree that his seat is hot…nor should it be yet. We had a shit roster…hard to fix that with two drafts, the second of which is just getting on the field. To be honest, I’m more concerned with the state of the OL…he’s clearly been trying to fix it, but with two high draft picks and all of the free agent signings, it still looked shitty as fuck on Sunday. Lots of changes, but same result. It was no better than it’s been the last couple of years. That’s a problem.

we’ll see if it gets better as they play together more and get more comfortable with the new sheme, which is probable, but they need to actually show that on the field.

but the guy clearly has a plan and a strategy, which is more than Mac ever had, and he’s made way better picks than Idzik, who also had the same plan of building cap space and collecting picks, but who never had the strategic vision on how to build the team (here’s a free clue to both Mac and Idzik….you don’t build a foundation with a fucking safety)

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

We had better hope that Douglas' seat isn't warm. Let's have some perspective:

1. The OL was neglected for a long time before JD arrived;

2. As a first-time GM, JD is going to make his mistakes. As long as he learns from them, he'll be fine.

3. Is anyone suggesting he should have overpaid for free-agent O linemen? How did that work out with the Giants and Nate Solder?

4. If JD were fired, how much trust do you have that Woody & Co. would replace him with someone better? These are the same geniuses who hired Idzik, Maccagnan and Gase. JD seems to be qualitatively better than those hires (So does Saleh).

12. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Too early to judge either class. The idiots saying the 21 class is great are just as dumb.

Sack exchange likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding #3 - not overpay but he should've been way more aggressive in the OL market during last free agency. I remember being absolutely dumbfounded about how casually JD seemed to be playing it. There were good linemen available at fair prices.

It's one thing to overpay, it's another to do nothing but bargain hunting when you're going to be drafting the new face of your franchise and are being too cheap to adequately protect him.

This isn't hindsight analysis, either. I remember having intense conversations here about the lack of urgency from JD in free agency.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Man, it's crazy talk to be putting heavy blame on Joe D after week one. But, I guess that's what we are here for o_O

bicketybam and PJ4Ever like this.