2021 - Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 27, 2021.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Sep 12, 2021.
  1. Jets

78.9%
  2. Panthers

21.1%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, Moore was a DL in college and was converted to an OG. The Jets sent him to play in NFL Europe for a couple of seasons I believe, then he came back here and was a borderline Pro bowl player the rest of his career. Alan Faneca was the LG and he had been a 1st round pick. Damien Woody was the RT and he had been a 1st round pick as well. So the Jets' 2009 OL had 4 1st round picks and one UDFA in Moore.

McGovern was a top 10 C with the Broncos, but hasn't played at that level for the Jets. IMO he should get the rest of this season to play at that level. If not, the Jets should look to replace him ASAP. McGovern can be upgraded, but I still have hopes for Clark, although they are fading. It will be interesting to see what will happen with Fant and Moses and if either or both are back next season. I hope that JD will use at least one high (1st or 2nd round) pick on an OL (either RT or C), and at least one, if not two, 3rd and/or 4th round picks on OGs.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree. Nothing is more important than the OL. I don’t understand the whole ‘I don’t want them to spend too many high picks on the OL’ argument. It is what it is - a team generally gets what they pay for. As long as the scouting department knows what they’re doing. We all saw how Mac mismanaged the whole OL with that policy.....

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I don't see what's so hard to understand about not wanting to spend too many high picks on the OL. If one spends too many high picks on the OL, paying them all becomes a problem, and then one doesn't have cap space to pay top skill position players. Dallas did that, and one by one, they've had to let them go. The idea is to develop an OL that can hopefully stay together for at least 3-5 years, if not longer. One cannot do that if the starting OL is all or mostly high draft picks.

#223 NCJetsfan, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Wait so you don’t think LaFleur wants to run? They couldn’t run yesterday - I’d argue he ran way too much on first down and needed to open it up earlier. You want to just run when it’s not working? Hard pass on that. Also you don’t think think 16-0 may have forced their hand?

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Maybe it's just me, but right now that seems like a really great "problem" to have.

Dallas seems to have a lot of talent at their skill positions too, even with having to pay all those OLinemen.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don’t know what he wants to do and you never stop running the ball, running from the shotgun formation is not a good recipe for success.

Put Wilson under center and let them fight it out in the trenches, we have been down this road before. Adam Gase ran more runs from shotgun than I have ever seen.

It’s early, I’m just going to sit back and see how this develops.

8. NCJetsfan

and

I don't think Saleh picked an OC who does the opposite of what he wants, nor do I think that LaFleur is getting fired any time soon, nor should he. I do think he has a lot to learn, and needs to make some quick adjustments to how he does things, to his scheme, to his play calling, and to his expectations.

I do think the Jets will run the ball more and run it more successfully once the OL gels, and LaFleur learns or pulls his head out of his ass. I was surprised by mostly inside zone runs yesterday rather than outside zone runs, since that's what our scheme is primarily supposed to be. I recall only seeing 2-3 outside zone rushing attempts and the rest were all up the gut. That may be due to what the announcers said was the speed of Carolina's D, but their DL is better than their LB corps, so if LaFleur's game plan was to try to run up the gut rather than to the outside, then I think it was severely flawed. Davis is an excellent blocker, as is Mims. Kroft is a good blocker as is Wesco. There should have been more outside zone attempts and we should have been able to have some success there.

I also think that LaFleur was too predictable with his play calling running most of the time on 1st and 2nd down. There should have been more passes on 1st down, more screens, more draws. I don't recall seeing a single screen or draw yesterday to slow down the pass rush. I also don't recall seeing any trap plays.

One can run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run. When it became clearly evident that we had problems running the ball, imo LaFleur should have switched to passing more on 1st and 2nd down, using more screens and draw plays to slow down the pass rush, and thus helping open things up for the rushing attack.

Mims should have been on the field a lot more, as he is a better blocker than Moore, Berrios or Smith.

#228 NCJetsfan, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  9. NCJetsfan

They have talent at the skill positions because Lam is cheap right now, and look at their D. They also aren't having to pay all those OL any more, 2 or 3 of them left in FA.

10. mrjet80

When I say spend high picks I mean roughly 3 - not the whole line. Some people seem to think that once they drafted Becton they should just draft lower round players to supplement. We know historically it usually doesn’t work like that. When the Jets had a good OL it was a solid mixture of 2 high picks, 2 solid FA signings (Former first rounders) and 1 internal FA/developmental player. Let the Jets draft one more OL high (not necessarily first round), maybe sign another FA and see where they stand. We know RG and possibly C and RT have to be replaced in the next year or so. If Becton is moved to RG then the Jets really need to start looking at OTs and quickly ....

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If you want a top o-line you have to pay for it, no matter where you get it. Drafting is the cheapest way, and good lineman have great trade value to provide their replacements - if you don't want to pay them. Besides, not every pick is going to be a star. We need to draft multiple linemen in the first 3 rounds.

12. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I completely agree with every single point you made here...While I know we're supposed to be looking to add value when we post, this was so spot on I'm not sure I can other than the "what do we have in Mosley" part as if it's not much, it will really hurt us this year and next year...In the "way too early panic button", I don't want to think this is LeVeon Bell part 2

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

They're still paying Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and La'el Collins. Those 3 combine for about 24M dollars this year which is surprisingly cheap for guys that are that good.

That's what you do when you have great OLinemen, you use those premium picks on skill positions so you get young, cheap guys while you pay your top-tier LT, RT, and RG.

14. NCJetsfan

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/09/13/5-best-players-ny-jets-week-1-carolina/

From that article:

Wilson was pressured on 51% of his dropbacks, had 20% of his catchable passes dropped, was supported by a run game that gained 45 yards on 2.6 yards per carry, and received no manufactured help as he completed one screen pass for negative-3 yards.

That’s atrocious.

Yet, Wilson still managed to throw for 254 yards and two scores on 37 pass attempts with only one interception. He consistently made plays after evading initial pressure and was sharp on low-percentage throws into tight windows.

Wilson posted an adjusted completion percentage of 73%, which accounts for his five drops, two batted passes, and one throwaway.

This was a good debut for Wilson when you apply the rookie grading curve, but even without it, this was an objectively decent-to-solid quarterbacking performance.

mrjet80, REVISion and dawinner127 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Someone save this tweet for later LOL!

Red Menace likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The more I watch this game, the more I realize we were out coached and out schemed. It was not our talent that hurt us, but rather our youth on both the roster and coaching staff.

This was the first game Saleh and Lafleur have ever been Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator. We had 7 rookies starting not including the several rookies who played many snaps. We had a rookie QB and the youngest roster in the NFL. The Panthers prepared for this game for months and they signed our backup QB to boot.

There is a lot of reasons why we lost that game, but I am not worried about the talent and resolve of this roster. I look forward to the adjustments this week

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

"Its the OL, stupid"......

jets are trying to match the OL with the QB, hoping they "gel" together. tough to do cause you have to hit on the majority of your picks in draft and FA.

the cowboy approach with prescott is one example where your OL is predominantly in place and THEN u get your QB. hey even the jets did it with sanchez in 09, to a degree.

we all know the risk here - david carr and a host of other decent/good QB's that just couldn't do it.

so easy to arm chair this stuff but it looks like the jets OL emphasis for the last 2 years has turned out subpar - especially for a rookie QB or ANY QB for that matter.

they have to have a real OL heavy draft next year without fucking around. at least 2 starters should be the goal.

i remember Marino telling shula way back in 90 - get me some OL guys otherwise i'm not finishing here in miami. so shula gets him 2 new starters

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't ever expect the logical approach with this team. Even if they tried it (which would mean the Johnsons sold the team), it would be unacceptable to fans because the Jets haven't won a SB in 50 years so do it now now now.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. mrjet80

I remember that - Miami went out and drafted Richmond Webb and Keith Simms for LT and LG - “600 pounds of beef” was the catchphrase. They were around for a few years and that ended Miami’s problems up front for the left side anyway ....