Some examples of terrible O-line play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MowTin, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You will not get any disagreement from me that the Offense in general, and I mean more than the OL, did a dismal job at protecting Wilson. Enough said, we need to fix it. . But to simplistically broad brush the OL and JD as the root cause problem by the media points to a narrow minded view of understanding never mind fixing the problem. They were a lot of moving pieces involved and out of synch including coaching, schemes, miscommunication and you name it. Players were out of position, missed their assignments, and were not on the same page on most of the plays. Blocking schemes were inconsistent and the players apparently did not know their assignments on many plays. We are weak at the OL position no doubt, but yesterday’s game was pointing the finger more towards the coaching staff and game planning. The OL was absolutely not on the same page, and the RB and TE apparently we’re not informed of their blocking assignments during blitzes.

SOJAZ, FJF, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the break down! I'm not a very good judge of OL play, so having this pointed out with video is a big help!

IDK if they can fix these problems enough before Sunday. If they can't, I hope they sit Zach because we sure don't need him "seeing ghosts" right off the bat!

It was interesting that after Becton went out, the OL play improved. As others have said, maybe he's just not suited for this blocking system, at least at this point. He's very athletic though and when he can return to practice/playing hopefully he can come up to speed because there's really not a lot of other options at this point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not sure Becton is that athletic other than being fast for his size at running in a straight line. That's the only thing he was elite at in the combine, at least, and running fast in a straight line doesn't mean much for playing LT well.

He's not very strong for his size and isn't very nimble or laterally quick at all.

He needs to legitimately lose 30-40 lbs. I mean that. There is absolutely no reason to be nearly 400 lbs in football, especially when you play in a system that relies on quickness at your position.

4. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Just finished the Raiders Ravens game--I can honestly say what a night and day difference it is watching even a team like the Raiders operate. Carr actually gets more than 1 second to pass--our oline should be ashamed of themselves for their level of dysfunction. ZW is a good QB--

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I'll defer to your assessment of Becton's athletic ability. But from what I saw last year, he was moving well and clearing things out. He seems to have really regressed, which I have to assume has a lot to do with the whole new blocking scheme, but there may also be other issues like his weight, the foot injury, possible less than great work ethic (?).

In any case, I would agree that losing weight would be a big help regardless.

All that said, whatever the issue(s) is, they need to get him squared away because they don't have any other better options.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I have to admit I was a little shocked how bad the OL performed. I didn't expect them to be world beaters, but Geez Louise, that was poor. I don't want to get too reactionary about it, but I can't say I'm not at least a little disappointed. I always feel like I'm in the same movie loop.

REVISion likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Any O line play design that has a 5ft 6 slot receiver needing to chop down a DL guy is surely a bad design to start with?

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Precisely! That is why Mims should be in there instead of Berrios. Fucking dumbass Saleh and LaFleur!!!

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Tbh I like Berrios and he did nothing wrong in the catching department 5 from 7 one of the missed was at his feet, can't remember the other.
    I feel he gets some unwarranted criticism on here tbh.
    I'd like to see a bit more of Mim's as wr but not sure he is much of a blocker either, is he?

Jets81 likes this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Looks like Berrios knows it, too. Clapped his hands in frustration right afterwords.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don't know what to think about OL stats any more:

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This lines up with what Saleh was saying. Guys were not just getting beat 1 on 1. A lot of assignments were missed by running backs and tight ends and a lot of stunts with guys running free. There were many times two guys were double teaming one defender and a stunt allowed the rusher to completely run free.

I rewatched part of the game last night and I would encourage many to do so. The more you watch it the more you realize it was not so much on lack of talent but rather the scheme and adjustments they did not make. That's encouraging and something that should be easily fixable going into next week.

13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

No excuses, John Benton needs to get his guys on the same page. AVT is the only rookie.

LAJet and REVISion like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's no way to determine if it's scheme or lack of execution unless someone actually breaks the play down for you and tells you the coverages assigned. You're blowing smoke.

Borrowing an example from the OP:

[​IMG]

Is this scheme or execution? Everyone focused on AVT but the real breakdown is when Ty Johnson doesn't chip that man at the edge and he ends up killing the angle Moore needed. That could have been a gain to build on and end up being a loss because Ty Johnson's head is spinning. That could very easily be execution.

#34 abyzmul, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying there was not flaws in execution, but your example is on point with what I'm saying. The RB missed his block. It's not all on the offensive line. A large part of it was scheme and execution by all parties

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If a NE defender so much as ruffles a hair on Wilson's head the Sunday, I'm done with this team. Is it really that hard to assemble a decent OL, Joe Douglas? Is it really that hard to come up with a successful game plan, LeFluer?! We have how many people on this forum that can tell you exactly what went wrong and what should have been done and they are not paid professionals! If they can do it, why can't the guys making the big bucks figure it out?? It's very disheartening.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think this is execution, Vera Tucker getting blown up, he’s the only one not upfield trying to seal off the end, the rest of the line men, did their jobs by sealing off, breaking away and getting to the secondary where the linebackers were, that’s the main goal on sweeps. It doesn’t help that Ty Johnson is lost as well though.

Lots to clean up by next week, I’m chalking up next week as a loss, not even going watch it. No way this offense does well against a well coached Bellicheat defense.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

a guy dropping back doesn't mean ignore him. you have an assignment, delays and stunts are a thing. think of it this way, lets say his guy drops back and then delay blitzes, he sees the drop back and immediately double teams the rusher, then his guy blows by untouched.

The most important thing for a football player is to simply do your job. it's why bellichick would hate players who freelanced. it's why he shipped off jamie collins a pro bowl LBer for a 4th round pick to the worst franchise in the NFL at that time. because he would do stuff like that. you have to just do your job.

not really, the play is outside, you just want to delay them getting outside so your big LG can get out in front as a lead blocker. a guy that far away form the play isn't a threat. anyone can throw themselves in the way and be an obstacle
    yeah he wasn't happy with himself but i mean it's not a huge deal. he's a cheap WR5//6 that mostly does a great job at what we ask him to do

yeah that's what I seen too on the rewatch. the o-line didn't play bad overall (except GVR and mcgovern) they weren't great, but a lot was on communication, and the TEs and RBs
    I broke this one down earlier in the thread and it's actually berrios fault. You can even see him clap his hands out of frustration because he knows he messed up. He ddin't chip his man to let AVT get outside, instead he whiffed and AVT got blown up because of it. and the guy AVT would have blocked made the tackle for a loss. becton pancakes his guy and would have gotten a 2nd block more upfield.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I just absolutely refuse to believe those pass blocking numbers. There's no way.

It felt like every time Wilson dropped back he had 2 free rushers making a beeline at him.

K'OB likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like Berrios, don't get me wrong, but he adds nothing as a blocker. Mims IS a good blocker. He was known for that in college, and was considered one of the best blocking WRs in the country and in the draft. Mims is a willing and capable blocker.

Red Menace likes this.