Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The coaches do not need to be more open minded if a player can't figure out what they're supposed to do or how to read coverages. They need to put the best players on the field to win.

The vibe that they have a weird vendetta against him is strange.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It’s not an all or nothing situation though. I have to assume he knows atleast one of the three positions enough to contribute something...If he literally has zero grasp on anything then he shouldn’t even be active.

He could have helped the team more yesterday

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What does food poisoning have to do with not knowing the playbook?

Jets79 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with all of your posts in this thread!

5. NCJetsfan

Then Saleh is a freaking dumbass! I hope he learns and changes his mind. If not, I hope he's gone in 2 years.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is such a bad take. It is just as bad if we don't take Fields take. This is the NFL and there are no free rides. Mims not playing is on Mims. It sounds like he knows what he has to do to see the field he now needs to go do it. That is not the coaches fault.

REVISion and FJF like this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm trying to remember how many WR's in the league can play all three WR positions. Jack of all trades and a master of none situation. Help me out TGG.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

im so tired of that food poisoning bullshit excuse….I know that’s what’s been said but it’s total bullshit. It was a couple of months ago…there’s no way it’s impacting anything now. To be fair I don’t think it’s the coaches saying it, but the reason they’re not playing him has nothing to do with food poisoning. I really don’t understand why you can’t have the guy out there and choose two or three routes that he can run and throw it up. If he shits the bed then fine but so far, he’s not done that. When given the chance, he’s been ok

REVISion likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I understand your point. And yeah the food poisoning thing is BS. I think a reason why they wouldn't want to put him out there to run the only 2,3 routes he knows is because it turns the offense into a 1-trick pony. "oh Mims is out there... they must just be running a deep ball to him", etc. Other teams watch plenty of film and would know this about Mims.

But then again, the Jets have had guys like that in the past I guess. Even Robby Anderson is kinda like that. He's not exactly got a big route tree.

I think maybe the offensive staff are kinda pissed at him, like he didn't bother to learn their precious "super secret" plays and it pissed them off

REVISion and Cman68 like this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Strange and completely illogical. They have a vendetta against him which means he's not being given opportunities. Which, by implication, would indicate that the coaches are deliberately harming the team's chance of winning and their own future employment opportunities.

Or maybe he just isn't yet good enough, be that his understanding of the playbook generally, his route running, his blocking, the options associated with each play or countless other areas of fine detail, to play other than in quite specific circumstances. And presumably those circumstances would largely be in relief of Davis who is by far the team's best receiver and so are likely to be few in number. Which is basically what Saleh implied.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We like the strange and illogical around here. You can keep that other bullshit

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  12. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

BINGO!

They keep saying the line takes weeks to learn this blocking scheme.

Build the scheme around the f*cking talent.

Inflexible young OCs are a MASSIVE risk.

On a related note, anyone know what Jonathan Vilma is up to?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the problem is Denzel Mims was a 2nd Round pick who, when on the football field, has looked pretty good. So some Jets fans can't understand why he is not being played more. It is a valid question. I don't think any fan is arguing for him to start over Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Jamison Crowder. He is not the same kind of WR as Berrios either. So it is more a battle between Keelan Cole, Jeff Smith, and Denzel Mims for that WR4 spot, and the staff feels Cole and Smith have done better this year so far. Pretty simple.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  14. FJF

Either mims or j Smith will be inactive this week. That’s mims first obstacle to more playing time. If he manages to get in the 48 his next obstacle will be the offense sustaining drives to give him an opportunity.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I don't see Smiths name on this list. Not sure why he would get the nod.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

16. FJF

17. NCJetsfan

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, and I totally disagree. I think requiring WRs to know all 3 WR positions at a high level before they can see the field is totally effing stupid. There's no logical reason for that. It's an arbitrary requirement that serves no real purpose. Mims is not a slot WR. We have 4 slot WRs in Crowder, Moore, Berrios, and Smith. Why in the world should Mims have to know the freaking slot WR position? They've said that he's working hard, so it's not like he's not trying and putting in the effort. The kid can play and he can help this team right now more than Berrios or Smith can.

blackssmagic and Jets79 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

It's not a BS excuse. It put him behind physically and mentally learning the new scheme. While the other WRs were learning the plays and getting lots of reps, he was puking and then trying to rebuild muscle and get back in shape. You don't make up 2-3 weeks at a critical time like that in 3-4 months with the limited snaps he has seen. Players learn and imprint on their muscle memory by doing it (reps). I'm sure that Mims studied and knows the system mentally now, but he hasn't gotten the reps he has needed to truly know it, and be able to go out there and just let his talent take over. He's probably still having to think too much about those other WR positions.

I agree with the rest of your post. There have to be a number of routes and plays that he can execute at a high level, or could, if they will give him the reps in practice. It's just stupidity and stubbornness on the part of a rookie HC.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You can not like that Mims is not playing and you make some good points. The irrational post that you hope he is gone in two years if Mims sucks is a bad take.

FJF likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I didn't say that I hope that Saleh is gone in 2 years if Mims sucks. I don't believe that Mims sucks, but if I'm proven wrong and he does suck, then fine, he sucks and I no longer hold that against Saleh. Until it is proven that Mims sucks, however, I will continue to believe that this is Saleh's stupidity rather than Mims not being able or ready to play and contribute. Also, Saleh has said that Mims is working very hard. Saleh determines who gets reps in practice, and players need reps to get better and to learn, so in a very real sense, Saleh is holding Mims development back.