Studs and Duds - Week 1 2021 - NYJ vs Car

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 13, 2021.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I would just have them on the dud list. Mainly because there were to many coaching problem. But that was mainly in offense so can't blame the others. La Gluer to me was a dud last night. Between the O-line, not starting Moses. Only giving Mims 2 plays. The bad schemes. And just all the horrendous plays. I can't count him as a positive. Hopefully he gets better.heck McGovern shouldn't even be in this team at this point, much less starting.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Two things about this. It should never happen, and Wilson is one tough mofo to get up and sling another completion right after.

K'OB likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

True enough but 1st game and Wilson having to throw within 2 seconds or scrambling for his life isn't helping anybody get open really but yes a rough day all over the place tbh.

Also, remember that Moore didn't proclaim himself recoverable, the consensus best QB for 1000 years got picked off 3 times ;)

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm not fauling moore at all. just a rough day for him. it happens to everyone. rodgers was awful and he's the reigning MVP

K'OB likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

they might need time to gel. Mcgovern was awful the 1st half of last year then top 10 the 2nd half.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I picked Rodgers in a FF team, the season is all but over for most of them already lol dud's in the teams studs sat on the bench, as always seems the case for me recently :rolleyes:

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We've been hearing this "they need time to gel" line for like 10 years. I'm over it. You're professional offensive linemen. Play better.

ouchy and K'OB like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

how is it 10 years? 4 out of 5 starters weren't here 2 years ago. now going foward not only that but 2 out of 5 are new this year with rookie AVT and FA moses. most of the issue came from the inside with Mcgovern, AVT, and GVR. our OTs mostly did well. moses was great when he was in and fant did good at LT and was serviceable at RT.

9. GasedAndConfused

So i Re-watched it and on defense I focused on Q. I noticed something I didn't notice during watching the game. the 1st quarter Q was in almost every play. after that he was barely in on 1st and 2nd down where it was mostly rankins and foley. Q was only coming in on 3rd downs. I think his snap count overall is probably going to be in the 60-70% range. I think it's a conditioning thing coming back form his injury. he looked gassed a lot. with that said he was being disruptive when he was in and winning his battles and even had a nice play on a screen where he turned around and made the tackle about 5 yards downfield. I think he needs to work himself back into game shape. also I noticed just how much of a beast foley was all game with very little breaks if any. foley was our best lineman in this game with JFM second.

Ralebird, Acad23 and cval like this.
  10. REVISion

Didn't 4 out of our 5 starters yesterday play together most of last year? How long does it take to gel? Longer than 2 offseasons and one full season? I doubt it.

The "needing time to gel" thing just feels like a talking head excuse that isn't really grounded in reality. It doesn't take multiple years for professional offensive linemen to learn to play offensive line together. They've been playing the position their entire lives.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

yes they did but the new one missed the offseason with injury. GVR was just as awful as he was last year which we all expected. mcgovern was awful which was unexpected. he finished the year very strong and in his career has always been good. no idea what his deal is. communication was bad. I did a breakdown in another thread of it. our RBs and TEs were also awful at picking up blitzers making it look worse and AVT got beat a few times. hell there was 1 play where GVR and mcgovern had a double team on a DT and still got beat

12. REVISion

The one new addition missing training camp isn't an excuse for the entire unit being awful. 80% of the OL has had ample time to gel, they just aren't playing well. It's no longer a valid excuse. They just need to be better.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Watching the pass protection the biggest issue to me was blitz pick-up and stunts. If I was Carolina I would have run a stunt on every play because the Jets had no idea how to pick up a stunt.

14. REVISion

Yeah, there's plenty of blame to go around. The OL was horrible in pass protection and so were the RB's at blitz pickup. It's totally unacceptable to have that be the case with a rookie QB. Wilson was the most pressured QB in the entire NFL yesterday.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am not going to blame JD for that. This falls directly on the coaches and the players.

16. GasedAndConfused

2 of them didn't play well that weren't new. GVR and mcgovern. not all of it was on the o-line. there was also mis communication and piss poor blitz pickups by the RBs and TEs. not every sack was even on the online. Lots of it is coachable and communication. it looked worse when I watched it the 1st time compared to when i rewatched it and focused on the o-line. at least 60% of the pressures could have been negated with better communication and better blocking by the TEs and RBs.

cval likes this.
  17. REVISion

It's both. Player talent and coaching both play a role in players performing well. You can't blame the players and not blame the guy who signed and drafted those players.

Nobody on the OL played well. I want to say Becton had the highest pass blocking grade from PFF at 59. That's atrocious, it's just a little less atrocious than everyone else.

K'OB likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I just watched the passing plays again. Becton just did not play that poorly in pass pro. Please go back and watch the plays. Take away two plays in pass pro he played extremely well. Fant did not play better when he came in, In fact he played much worse. Just watch the clips then tell me what you think.

19. GasedAndConfused

Watch the film though. i did a breakdown as well. it wasn't as bad as it seems

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

you should check that. Van Roten ended up blocking no one. He should have helped inside.