Studs and Duds - Week 1 2021 - NYJ vs Car

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 13, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Corey Davis - showed off why we paid him big money in the offseason. Yes he had a couple of uncharacteristic drops but he also caught 5 for 97 yards and 2 TDs

Mims - was only in for 2 snaps but caught 1 on his only target for 40 yards on a crucial 3rd down

amendola - yes he didn't attempt a kick all game, but mann went down on the 1st punt and amendola came in and punted great filling in for him. 6 punts for 48.5 yard average and a long of 65 and dropped 2 inside the 20.

JFM - looked like out best d-lineman. Had a sack and 2 TFLs and was disruptive most of the game

Young secondary - i'm gonna give a shot out to all of them. They played well. especially echols and hall, and carter II. The panthers have some firepower at WR and we negated them for the most part. Robby had the 1 big play but that was redwine who was at fault and who has only been on the team for less then 2 weeks and had to play early due to an injury to joyner. Guidry had a great open field tackle of c-mac as well.

Edit:

Foley - was great against the run and the pass. looked legit. I hope we keep him. he's strong in the middle

Duds

Moore - was excited to see him after all the hype. he played the 2nd most snaps for a WR for us this game at 57 and and caught 1 ball for -3 yards and had 2 drops including a 50+ yarder.

O-line - zach was getting killed all day. was sacked 6 times and not on his own fault. we also had 0 space in the run game. Mcgovern and GVR were espcially awful, while AVT was solid in the run game but not in pass protection. way too much interior pressure. Fant played well as did becton and moses played well coming in when becton went down but overall the o-line was still bad

Bad luck - more injuries piling up at positions we are thing at. Becton went down in the game, but hopefully misses only a few weeks. Joyner went down early and is done for the year. Sherwood went down early as did joyney. joyner is out for the season, not sure about sherwood.

Q - looked like our worst d-lineman. didn't really do anything.

Positive notes from a young team

2nd half adjustments - we actually made them. We were down 16-0 in the 1st half. came out after half time and made adjustments and held carolina to 3 points in the 2nd half while scoring 14 of our own on 2 wilson TD passes

Wilson - not a stud or a dud and overall statwise wasn't great, but the kid showed how tough he was, especially after that 6th sack where I thought he was concussed to throw a dart of a TD to davis on the next play. The ball jumps off his hand, he was mostly smart with it outside the 1 rookie INT but he didn't make many mistakes. Had a couple of misfires but kept fighting and almost brought us back

Coaching staff - lafluer was engaged with wilson all game long. saleh had the team fighting until the end. remember we are a young, beat up team, it's not going to be a great year overall. we have to look at the improvements and make progress

EDIT:

in regards to wilson after a rewatch This is what i came up with

1st half he was just bad. he had 7 bad throws compared to 1 good one. the rest were easy as expected throws.

Q3 he got better. his 1st 4 throws were bad but after that had 3 good ones and the rest easy/as expected throws.

Q4 he turned it on with 6 good throws and only 3 bad ones. but the bad ones were during desperation times.

He was just bad in the 1st half. maybe rookie jitters but he got better as the game went on even while taking a beating.

good throw/bad throw ratio
    1st half 1-7
    Q3 3-4
    Q4 6-3
    and all 3 came in desperation time where you have to sometimes just make a bad throw and hope for the best. plus one of the bad throws was the 2pt conversion where it looked like the ball just slipped out of his hands or something.

EDIT 2: pressure breakdown
    So i'm looking over all 6 sacks in my replay and here is what I found (E) is for sacks he escaped

1) this one seems to be on fant. burns came in unblocked. they only rushed 4. fant picked up the DT, mcgovern picked up the DT and was helped by AVT, GVR blocked nobody. becton stonewalled his DE
    E) fant just got beat on a swim move instantly
    E) not an escape but he threw out of a sack incomplete. becton blocked nobody, AVT took on the DT, they dropped the DEs back in coverage, fant and GVR double teamed the other DT. OC blocked nobody. AVT got beat, LBer came on delay unblocked. but the real issue came from a blitzing DB who smoked kroft at TE. 3 rushers out of 4 got through. the DB who was held by kroft but still got the hit, the DT who blew by AVT, and the delay blitzer nobody picked up.
    2) PA, everyone but fant blocked well, the d0line fell for the PA creating a huge pile by the RB of lineman. however fant was beat right away and that DE wasn't fooled and zach couldn't escape. sack and FF but zach jumped on the loose ball
    E) threw out of sack, PA to the right, they blitzed a CB off the left, when zach turned around after the fake the DB was right there. nobodies fault, just a good play call on defense against the call we had on offense.
    E) they rushed 5, o-line did well, but kroft didn't pick up the outside blocker who came free, he went inside to help instead.
    E) they rushed 6, carter missed the inside blitzer so zach couldn't step up, becton got beat outside but would have been fine if zach could step up but he had to fade back due to inside pressure and they met at the QB where he threw out of the sack. this one is on carter
    3) Becotn got beat but held block long enough, pocket was clean, zach should have stepped up or rolled outside but didn't feel the pressure. I'd call it 50% on zach and 50% on becton. wilson was contacted after a good 3.5-4 seconds in the pocket. ball needs to be out or he needs to move at that point
    E) Threw out of sack way too high. They rushed 5,3 on the left side. AVT blocked the wrong guy leaving mcgovern nobody to block and 1 free rusher. AVT should have picked up the blitzer and mcgovern block his guy.
    E) Threw out of sack off but got a lucky PI. they rushed 6, was picked up well, but fant got beat outside causing the pressure.
    4) They rush 4. picked up well. becton passes LDE to griffin with help from RB ty. 2 inside DTs are both doubled. RDE has fant 1v1. After 2 seconds the DT breaks free of a double team by GVR and mcgovern and the DE breaks free from a double team of griffin and ty. zach breaks out of the sack but eventually gets sacked form another player. this was just piss poor blocking. 2 double teams got beat by a single player each. we called a maz protect, picked it all up well and then just got beat
    E) this was the 1st TD to davis play. They rush 4. fant and becton do well, but GVR gets blown up and mcgovern loses too and the middle pressure forces zach out right. AVT didn't block anyone really.
    5) They rush 6, jets have 6 to block (left a RB in who was ty). RB doesn't see the stunt and helps mcgovern who was instantly beat and the stunt blitzer gets a free shot. I had to watch this a few times and it's tough to call exactly who is at fault but it's a combination of ty and mcgovern. looks like the stunt just confused the 2 of them. mcgovern was late to 1 block becuase he excpected to be blocking someone else and ty had to help him as that guy got right by him and ty's guy got a free rush unblocked.
    E) this was his big play to mims. mcgovern blocked nobody. they rushed 4. AVT was beat instantly, zach had to step up but took a hit as fant (now at LT) man peeled off anticipating the step up but zach delivered a great throw.
    6) they rush 4 using a stunt. initially it looked good. GVR is free, AVT and mcgovern have a double etam on the DT, fant is in good position and moses is as well at RT. mcgovern whiffs on his man on the stunt and AVT/Mcgovern get beat at the same time allowing 2 up the middle. the entire IOL failed on this one but moses and fant looked good

So overall after watching all the pressure again to focus on it this is what I found

A large majority of it was bad communication especially with the IOL on stunts. I expect the pats to use a lot of stunt blitzes after seeing this.
    our IOL was awful overall consonantly getting beat even with double teams
    Fant and becton were ok. not great or bad. fant looked better at LT then he did at RT. moses did great at RT when he came in. Becton is out now 4-6 weeks so it'll be that way for the next 4-6 games.
    Our TEs and RBs are shit at blocking and picking up blitzers. we really need to give wesco a shot. he can't possibly be worse
    AVT missing the offseason with injury obviously hurt a lot. GVR is just bad. mcgovern is like jekyl and hyde

#1 GasedAndConfused, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Pepsiguy5, REVISion, ouchy and 4 others like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Agree 99% with the above but I don't think Becton was playing very well and looked like he gave up on an end-around or Jet sweep and Moore got buried for a loss.

Also, Fant was awful at RT but oddly improved when switched to LT

I think blaming Moore for the 50 yard drop is tough on the kid as it looked like DPI to me.

IDFjet likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have won that game if the OL was just average overall.
    Until they fix that... if they even can... we ain't going anywhere.

Duds you failed to mention.... Quinnen and Mosely.
    No impact whatsoever.

The "adjustment" at the half should have been the game plan at the start.
    Pressure Sam Darnold... we know better than anyone how he reacts when that happens... :confused:

Jets81 and K'OB like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

we brought him in to make plays. I could forgive that drop for sure but he was on the field more then any WR except for davis and only registered 1 catch on 4 targets. for a guy who was lauded as uncover-able it was a rough 1st game

Pepsiguy5, Jets81 and FJF like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

I edited it Q as a dud. I agree on that and added foley as a stud. mosley was a tough one to call, he graded low but that was because he was trying to cover c-mac all game which no LBer in the NFL can do. you have to give him credit for directing the young guys as well. we had much less confusion on the defense then I expected

Acad23 likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I also thought Moore would have a way bigger impact on the game but I'm not super worried. It was literally his first NFL action and he also missed weeks of practice. Combine that with the fact that our QB was pressured on more than half of his dropbacks and you have a recipe for disaster. He did have that one nice catch that would have gone for about 20 but it got called back.

7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Good job, GAC! Moore was a dud and could've had his Wally Pip/Lou Gehrig type of moment with Crowder being out. It's early, he's young, and I'm sure he'll rebound.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

i'm not worried either about him, just saying he had a bad game

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mims catching one ball makes him a stud? That’s a bit of a stretch IMO

Jets69, apjbfc, BacktoQueens and 2 others like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

he only had 2 snaps and 1 target and it was a huge one that helped make it a 1 score game with 2 mins left. to come of the bench after sitting all game and catch a 40 yarder in crunch time is big. also made him our 3rd leading reciever behind davis and berrios who each had 7 targets and way more snaps.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think I was typing mine the same time as you. If the mods can just merge mine here. Cheers.

12. GasedAndConfused

lol I was replying to yours just as you replied to this. you can do them this year. I only did them last couple of years because nobody else was. doesn't really matter to me. If you want to do them you can.

13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

There's a common theme thru the nfl that on average, guys who skipped all preseason games were not as sharp in game 1 yesterday as their history would suggest. This is not rocket science but its empirically accurate. Don't know how you get around that.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I dont mind. Everyone can do it if they want. So long as we have one thread.

I disagree about not including Zach in the studs. He was the catalyst for everything that we did well.
    I disagree about the corners being studs. Sam Darnold helped a lot here.
    I disagree about the halftime adjustments. On defense, while our push got a little better, Sam played terrible, and was a lot of the reason we looked better. On offense we didn't start to really have success until Carolina moved to a soft two deep look. That is vulnerable to intermediate routes and Zach did a great job exploiting it. The truth is, we looked better in the second half because Carolina got very conservative.

15. GasedAndConfused

i'm sure he'll improve. and AVT too. obviously the time out hurt.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm really disappointed in Q's lack of effort yesterday.
    I hope he's not going through something... :confused:

I'll re-watch the game... but I don't recall seeing Mosely anywhere near CMC.
    He had one tipped pass early... and then he vanished.

Zach needs to figure out the protection calls... as a rookie QB he's gonna be pressured lots.
    The Pats are gonna bring out the ghosts...

17. GasedAndConfused

Zach had about 6-8 missed throws (I can do an actual count when I do my 2nd watch through, I'll probably do a zach analysis weekly after a 2nd watch through and taking notes). he was also bailed out on that davis TD which should have been an easy wide open catch but davis had to dive, for it and barely got it. the other TD to davis should have been more outside and was almost broken up. the INT was a bad decision. Overall he wasn't bad but he wasn't a stud. he showed potential, toughness, a great arm and lots of things that I seen on his film that made me want him, but he didn't have a great game overall.

darnold helped the CBs? in what way exactly was that. zach is a stud for missing a bunch of throws but darnold missed like 3 and he helped the CBs? all QBs misfire now and again but their coverage was tight and they were always around the ball. outside of the robbie deep ball, the secondary over-performed. and the robbie deep ball was because of redwine.

the adjustments are the reason sam had a bad half. kinda how the NFL works. you think sam just got worse with a 15 minute break? or we made adjustments and applied more pressure and changed coverage and he got confused and had less time to sort it out. carolina didn't change their gameplan, their offense ran through c-mac all game. the difference was we took away the rest so sam couldn't get big plays. they didn't change the defense either. who changes a defense that shut out the opponent in the 1st half? carolina was bringing pressure all game

18. GasedAndConfused

yeah I have to do my rewatch and take some notes. Zach i'll que in on for offense. i'll take a look deeper at Q and mosley for the defense

19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I actually agree with most of your post GAC. But I would definitely not put the coaching staff on the stud list. The defense looked extremely confused at times. Q and Mosley both looked out of place and those are our "stars". The O line was terrible, seemed very badly schemed/coached. Mims got 2 plays but looked like the most exciting playmaker out there. The rbs had no holes, again scheming was bad. It was obvious Moses should have started of Fant...... all coaching issues.

20. GasedAndConfused

they weren't on the stud list. they were on the positive side list. after 2 seasons of gase no adjustment run gore up the middle and GW no adjustment 0 blitz every play it was nice to see adjustemtns made at halftime and to have the team no give up on them like we did in past years.