Would you rather still have Sam or Zach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 12, 2021.

?

Would you rather have Sam or Zach?

1. Sam

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Zach

83 vote(s)
    96.5%
  1. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

As of today, I'd rather have Mac Jones.
    Ron

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Carolina won by 5. Did you not see him miss those guys in the end zone and him botch the handoff that resulted in a TO on the Jets 3 yard line?

Yeah, he kicked the Jets asses.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

Mac looked good for a rookie, but he would have been destroyed if he was on the Jets. Pats and Jets oline is night and day.

Sam only gave the panthers 3 points in the 2nd half. He didn't 'destroy' the jets.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I did see that. I dont deny Carolina left points on the board. It should've been a bigger beatdown than it was. Very discouraging debut

azhar80 likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My feeling to a T. Wilson on his first game had zero running game, pathetic offensive blocking at best, no time to throw, six sacks, could have been 6 more if it wasn’t for Zach mobility, 10 pressures, got slammed into the ground by a freight train yet stood there and delivered making far better decisions than bad ones behind a disgraceful supporting cast . On his first game we didn’t help him one bit yet he delivered. Amazing. Swap QBs and you would have seen a 34 to zilch game.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Probably 38-7 Panthers.

Sam looked like Sam yesterday. Just with better coaching and CMC as a weapon. It was similar to his mono return against the Cowboys. Solid first half, then nothing in the 2nd half, but his team held on for the win.

Zach looked really good when given a chance, but the O-line was embarrassing. The zip on his ball, the way he can look downfield, all very impressive. The Jets need to fix the O-line and fast, or consider other play calling so Wilson doesn't get destroyed out there.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

so funny, and so true

azhar80 likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. Sam was at his ceiling yesterday with a great supporting cast. Wilson was literally at his floor with a disjointed offense. Wilson had 2-3 plays for sure he would want to have back, but damned he delivered some jewels short and long to Moore, both drops, and to Mims one drop. the rest of the team needs to step up. If anything, Wilson got great respect from his teammates, and from the Panthers players and coaches. He will go no where but up if we are able to protect him better. That is the big if.

#48 LAJet, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Actually, I think his issues are very different. Sam isn't comfortable in the pocket in the face of a decent pass rush and abandons the pocket too quickly. Zack seems VERY comfortable in the pocket even in the face of a ferocious pass rush. He's too comfortable if you ask me and there were a couple of sacks that happened b/c he stayed in the pocket and/or held on to the ball too long.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Sam had a good game yesterday, but I would say nothing spectacular that would make us regret not having him. Had all day to throw, had one big play, but mostly short passing. Had some big mistakes too. The fumble at the 5 yard line lost them 7 points. Missing a wide open guy in the end zone cost another 4. Anderson pass was great. Ran for a TD. So, overall a good game for Sam, which we know he can deliver when not pressured and throwing short passes. Good game planning too by their coaches: played to his strengths, and not having to worry about pressure Sam was just fine.

Zach on the other hand was pressured constantly at all times. Then in the beginning the drops we had were huge. Interception was a rookie mistake, but I wonder if he would have even made that mistake throwing a super soft ball if good easy balls he threw before were caught. Then he stepped up in a major way, still under pressure, ending up with only one INT and two TDs. I am trying to imagine Sam in similar situation. Actually there is no need to imagine, we have seen this play out before. This is probably another Ghost game with multiple picks and close to 0 QB rating. Likely gets injured too with that hit, where Zach proved to be quite durable.

Overall, to me it looked like Zach is actually better today than Sam is in the 4th year, and he is only a rookie. It's only one game though, and he definitely cannot be taking hits like this for the rest of the season or it won't end well.

#50 Borat, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Whose debut was discouraging?

12. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I think we should spend some of our draft capital if we can make a trade for a really good o-lineman.

this season is about developing Zach and keeping him healthy.

that has more value than a future draft pick.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sam missed two open WRs in the end zone costing them 14 points, not one WR and 4 points.

LAJet and Borat like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What team is going to trade a really good OL when there is a shortage of good OL in the NFL? The answer is none. That is why few good OL make it to FA, and those that do who are good it's because their team has cap issues and they will make too much money, or they have injury issues, or off-field issues.

The season is definitely about developing Zach and keeping him healthy. JD did the best that one could have expected. No one could have expected that Clark, McDermott, AVT and Becton would have all gone down with injuries and missed time, and the starting OL would have had practically no time together prior to the season. That's part of the problem with having players competing for spots as well. The OL probably would have been better off if GVR and Moses were just handed the starting jobs and the starters would have had more reps together as a unit. That's why competition isn't always the best idea in spite of what fans and some HCs think.

15. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

Sam would have not recovered after the 1st half if he was on the Jets. It would have been 'Seeing Ghosts' part 2.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Definitely. While he didn't throw a pick, having all day to throw and mostly throwing short, he did leave a lot of points on the board with the lost fumble inside 5 yeards and not being able to hit open receivers in the end zone. If Sam was instead of Zach on the Jets yesterday, I doubt we would score more than 3 points if any at all, given the pressure he would be under. Something like this: https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401220139

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

....on a similar theme, of what ifs....Lawrence or Zach go to New England they walk into probably
    the best scenario possible (maybe SF), if Jones were starting for Jets yesterday he never would
    have been able to evade the pressure!

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That was my impression as well and that is a huge worry, Fant was awful at RT though, the whole game improved with the switch.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Over Namath?

20. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

question was zach or sam

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.