Would you rather still have Sam or Zach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 12, 2021.

?

Would you rather have Sam or Zach?

1. Sam

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Zach

83 vote(s)
    96.5%
  1. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

This is kind of a silly question after ONE game. We all saw that sam wasn't the answer and Zach played VERY well for his first ever game. Zach has all the chance to end up being a franchise QB and Sam did not show he was that guy after seeing him play for almost 3 years.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. fua46

fua46 New Member

Geesus not even a question. On to next week

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd rather have Sam and Devonta Smith to tell you the truth.

However I'd be fine having Sam and Zach Wilson on the bench preparing to be a stud QB when he was ready to go.

As to whether I'd rather have Sam or Zach in a vacuum? I said early on before everything else developed that Sam was the only chance the Jets had to be competitive this year. However the decisions the Jets made after that comment were all rooted in building for 2023 or so and in that situation I'd rather have Zach Wilson than Sam Darnold.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

No but he'd come with Pitts.

5. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Zach.

Was there in person. He's so good. Pennington with arms and legs. None of our QBs over the past 30 years make the 1st TD pass to Davis. Most don't make the 2d TD pass to Davis. The 40 yarder he put in Moore's breadbasket might have been the most impressive throw.

Coming in, there was ONE question on Zach. What would he do when a real NFL defense punched him in the mouth. We got our answer. And we have our QB. I left BoA Stadium on a high. We have a F*CKING QB!!!!!

6. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

i know exactly what you mean… i was less bothered by the loss, and more inspired that i really do think we have “the guy”.

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach's already better than Sam.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Zach had me worried for one Half today with some poor decisions while under big pressure but Sam will always be Sam and who wants to go backwards? Gut says the Panthers are in trouble without Chris McCaferry ...Darnold could never carry that team!

The real comparison is Wilsons first game with hardly any help around him but holding his own in the second half versus Sam with tons of playmakers

9. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

4 Hour drive back to ATL and that thought kept the smile bright. We FINALLY have a franchise QB. He's Pennington with an ARM and legs.

On a side note, spent a few minutes with AVTs family at the Westin after. What a nice (and upbeat) bunch.

dmw, JohnnyJet1222 and Sec124DieHard like this.
  10. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

We probably should revisit this week 10. I liked what I see from Zach, I think we’ll see an improvement in week 2, more improvement in week 3 and eventually nobody will remember this game.

Saleh’s gotta figure out this Oline situation though.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’d rather have Justi… :D. Zach over Sam. He was less a major part of the problem today than Sam usually was in similar games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'd have been fine with either. Sam can be really good in the right atmosphere, sort of what we're trying to build for Zack. Get some serious, legit beef on the oliine (jury's still out), get the team some great WRs <check>.....get a good rb or 2 <check>. See, if JD and Saleh had done all this team building crap but with sam , sam would do really good. I get our oline is still a work in progress, but im assuming we get a decent, above avg unit in there.

Given all the changes in schemes, coaching and players, both sam and zack will do good here. Had we retained sammie we still have the #2 overall to trade to the9ers for 3 firsts plus a second. We coulda gottem Sammie our own version of CMC, and vera tucker and elijah moore and another firist round pick to blow on our own George Kittle,

if we kept sam and did what were trying to do for zack with all the new players, but then add to sams weapons the trade bounty from the #2 pick and sam would have the best players surrounding him

if we built around sam, we'd be fully loaded with players and a qb with 3yrs exp and a PO run THIS year would be expected.

Then after next years mega draft with all the high picks, cement our future with sam and a SB threat every year!.

azhar80 and BacktoQueens like this.
  13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Darnold looked exactly like I expected him to free of Gase and with some talent around him. The last 2 seasons might as well not have existed for him. He didn't make the bone headed forced throws, perhaps because he didn't have to, he did miss some throws he should make. If he can keep that going against better teams than the Jets then he might fulfil his potential yet, but I still see an average starter at best.

Zach came through his first test, perhaps not with flying colours but strongly enough. There was some wow and some oh moments. Exactly as you'd expect. He struggled in the first half and it looked things were happening a bit quick for him at times, but calmed down in the second and looked very composed. The arm talent was there to see. A bit like his first 2 camp practices I guess. It's only to be expected too having faced only back ups in preseason. There's a long way to go before you can say he's the guy, but I don't think he could have done more at this point - but then Darnold's first game was fairly impressive too.

14. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I saw a tweet early this morning:

Only 2 Jets QB's to throw for 250+ yds and 2TDs in their 1st game:

Joe Namath
    Zach Wilson

Wilson did it while running for his life. I'll take Zach and it's not even close.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Keeping Sam woulda came with another beast like DeVonta Smith

azhar80 and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It would have also come with him missing wide open recovers in the end zone, which he did twice yesterday. Hard pass.

#36 bicketybam, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and zace like this.
  17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Zach and not even close. Darnold is on the far superior team and still didn't look great. All his throws were to CMC and one deep ball to RA. Zac played as well as he could have with NO run game. Very very pleased to say we found our QB.

The rest of our team is god awful though. JD will need to hit. Jury is out on his draft picks and some are cut already in Y2!!!

ColoradoContrails and PJ4Ever like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Man what are we doing here?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

true but he still kicked the Jets asses comfortably

20. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Yeah but the game showed that Sam wasn't the problem. I felt bad for Zach getting killed behind our awful OL. We have these high first round picks at OL but they're really struggling to play at the pro level.

I could imagine Sam looking at Zach getting killed and thinking thank God that's not me anymore.