The Good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 12, 2021.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Lot of first round picks on that D

Jaycee Horn, Brian Burns, Derrick Brown and Shaq Thompson is some pretty good talent. Add in Donte Jackson and Chinn and that’s a good D to me.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I hate this notion that size can only be a positive and doesn't come with downsides. There are diminishing returns on being big, especially in the scheme we're running. You have to be nimble to be a good LT. Becton is the furthest thing from nimble.

Jonathan_Vilma and Br4d like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Remember though that nimble looks different in big people. medium sized people and small people.

A big guy covers more ground with each step and their turning radius is both larger (less nimble) and also covers a much wider area (so less need to be nimble if the same turn covers twice the area effectively.)

Becton is not twinkle-toes nimble but he does cover a larger area with each step and turn, so as long as he is anticipating well he can get away with being a tad slower.

Jackie Gleason on the other hand was both. The man was a dancing bear.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I miss Brick. He was never the best LT in the league, but he was always very good, and most importantly, he was always on the field.

REVISion and MDJets like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We out scored the Packers and the Falcons combined... :confused:

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I hate to say this but Becton is way over rated then many give here. He s good but not great. And he s injury proned in his first two years. Brick and Mangold were stalwarts.

anyway I think 2nd half adjustments was a good sign. Zach looked good but made some rookie mistakes which is expected. I thought CBs had the best day of the defense.

westiedog1 and cval like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's a Jets fan tradition unlike any other - we overrate high draft picks after some brief early success and then refuse to believe they might not be good despite them consistently playing poorly after. It happened with Darnold. It's happening currently with Becton and Mims.

Jonathan_Vilma and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Don't forget about coaches and GMs...

westiedog1 and REVISion like this.
  9. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

This felt to me like a competitive game the entire time, even when the Jets were down 16, unlike the Gase era when you just expected the Jets to collapse even if it was close.

cval likes this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I hope so. Wish we had the first Pats game a bit later in the season.

11. JetsCuseYanksFan

Yes, the Panthers defense is easily Top 10, if not Top 5 this year. They were 18 last year, and added Reddick. They now have both Burns (9 sacks) and Reddick (12.5 Sacks) as bookends, and we saw that yesterday with pressure coming from everywhere. Add to that solid corners, and no surprise we saw a few coverage sacks of Zack as well. And given our Oline had yet to play together, it was a perfect storm of sorts. I’m impressed with 1) how Zack weathered the storm, and 2) coaching and player adjustments in second half improved the Oline play a bit.

Also, the difference between Zack and Sam, is that with intense pressure Zack made them pay with improvised long throws down the field that were on target. He sees the field much better than Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Oh no, I’m hoping you’re right.
    We play the Pats and Denver in the next two weeks. Two traditionally good D’s. If we can hold our own against them, while getting our shit together, we might be alright this season.

13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Not a problem...

[​IMG]

abyzmul likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Reddick played well yesterday but his 2020 season is a bit of a mirage. He had 5 of his 12.5 sacks in one game against a bad Giants line/quarterback.

Regardless, Carolina's defense could end up being good. But coming into this game I wouldn't exactly say they were ready to go. At least not to the extent that they embarrassed our offensive line.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I think Darnold throws 3 picks and may fumble once if he was behind that our O-line yesterday.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes. If he can get those big arms out, it makes him more "nimble" than he is. We saw some of that last year. He is out of shape though and gets too gassed to get his arms extended much this year so far

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Saleh was great on the sidelines, saw him communicating on head set and you can tell by his mannerism he was getting his point across.

CJ Mosley did a good job, he needs help though.

cmcm750203 and rammagen like this.
  18. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

They were competitive. They never gave up and played hard. Last years team loses that game 40-0.

I am not expecting the Jets to be world beaters this year. I would like for them to be competitive in every game and avoid blow outs. One game down 16 to go.

rammagen likes this.
  19. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

look we all know the the Jets are about 1 yr away but from what I saw there were some good things.
    coaching and half time adjustments when was the last time we saw that? Has to be before Bowles
    The coach did their jobs in communicating with the players, some of the players were overmatched and we are weak at linebacker but the minute the Jets starting dialing up the pressure the d looked better in the second half
    The kicker looked impressive and the dbs did not look that bad.
    Some of the moves the gm made with Robbie and the OL came back to bite him though with the long td pass and the oline struggled with the scheme. I would think if the head coach is correct in the statement they at they consider both tackles at the end of the day as starters that the should consider moving Becton to RG where he can operate with less space and he wont have to deal with speed rushers and solidify the online.

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There really wasn't a lot of good as I saw it. Defense, the kicker, Wilson and that's it.

Defense: played well. They kept the score low and within reach the whole game. That's all you can ask of a D. McCaffrey is a special talent, nevertheless the Jets held him to less than 100 yards rushing. Jets pass rush, while not getting many sacks, was able to collapse the pocket around Darnold.

Ammendola. Wow! Stuff like this rarely happens to the Jets. Reminds me of a certain QB in NE coming off the bench to out perform the starter who got knocked out of the game. (Well, not really)

Wilson. The O-line let him down as well as his receivers early. He played much better in the second half although it's hard to determine if this was due to Carolina easing off because of the lead they had, or Wilson shaking off a bad start. Hopefully it's the latter

The bad:

Coaching. Douglas did a lot to get talented players for the OL, but they played poorly. Now it's the coaches responsibility to get them to play up to potential. That didn't happen in this game. That will be the big challenge for Saleh and the staff in the coming weeks. Going for it on 4th and 2 was a bad call by Saleh. The game was tied at that point with neither team showing much advantage. The failure to make the yardage gave momentum to the Panthers and they scored soon after. Putting Becton's poor pass defense aside, he is still one of the biggest OL lineman in the league plus a #1 draft choice next door and yet LeFleur ran few running plays directed toward that side including the 4th and 2. I know it's a sin to mention anything good about Gase here, but at least he figured out (albeit late in the season) that running behind Becton was profitable. Of course, now with Becton out, it's a moot point.

The players: The receiving corps let Wilson down by dropping passes early in the game. LeFleur decided to go with Coleman and Carter who were disappointing. Maybe they should have stayed with Adams (no longer on the team) and Johnson who were good at the end of last year.

Saleh has a lot of work to do.

rammagen and Red Menace like this.