Random thoughts on the game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Sep 12, 2021.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

.1. The jets defense played a hell of a second half despite zero pass rush
    2. WR Davis will be in the pro bowl this year (barring injury)
    3. Coleman stinks as a RB--On the 4th and 1 he almost tiptoed toward the line. He doesn't have Carter's moves or Johnson's power. Pawn him off on the ravens.
    4. Wilson played nice second half, although he almost underthrew the first TD to a wide open Davis.
    5. What's opening day without another special team penalty from the waste of a roster spot Daniel Brown? This time he managed to get flagged for holding AND get our punter injured on the same play.
    6. What a great drive-stopping tackle by Guidry
    7. Darnold missed several open receivers with high passes
    8. Ammendola did a great job punting but his kickoffs are pathetic--especially after the jets first TD
    9. Jury is still out on Becton and I don't mean the injury. I thinks the jets played better without him today
    10. Still don't think the jets like Mims.
    11. Jets really need to draft OLBs, not safeties, next year.
    12. I still don't think Westco is that good as a lead blocker--He never locates who to block until too late.
    13. I Still think Yeboah would help
    14, Jets coaches made all the right decisions, I thought.

OK --where did I go wrong?

twown, REVISion, gajetsfan and 5 others like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wilson did show some issues with accuracy, many of his passes were high, even the short range touch passes. The pressure was getting to him a lot early, but it seemed like he was able to calm it down after a while, even though the pressure never relented.

I noticed in a couple of late plays that Kroft was in at FB. I'm hoping that the Wesco experiment will meet an early end.

That Mims play was a great one for that drive, but it wasn't like it was a skill play. He sort of wandered behind the coverage because the corner assumed he was a decoy and then Zach found him, and credit to Mims for catching the ball in a pressure situation... but he always seems to be as dextrous as a baby giraffe after the catch, his feet get clumsy as hell.

REVISion and tomdeb like this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Did I go to Wendy's twice yesterday?

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

#11 you are correct but they also need to continue building the OL.

I was pleasantly surprised with the CB play though - Carter and Guidry both played really well.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't agree with #14. The play calling felt stupidly predictable in terms of first round plays and obvious running situations.

REVISion, tomdeb, FJF and 5 others like this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

IDK how many are watching Cleve/KC but Anthony Schwartz is a weapon--Elijah Moore is just as good but can't get into the flow with this OL--Fuck this OL coach.

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Just finished watching it on DVR…without deep analysis…just watching the game

I thought the OL sucked balls…could get no push on the running game and pressure was relentless…the Panthers are a good defense but we made them look phenomenal…I expected better

tough break with Becton….this injury was a freak roll up on his knee so not his fault but he been injury prone….not good

was surprised Moses started on the bench, but yeah…kind of agree that the OL looked better later in the game with Fant and Moses

our OL just killed any chance on O in that first half…and Zach was feeling it…off kilter, sloppy passes….but it was NICE to see Zach rebound in the second half…if we can protect him he should be pretty good

with both Crowder and Cole out, it was a bit surprising to see Mims only get one look…at some point, doesn’t matter what the coaches say about him, it’s becoming clear that he is not in their plans

our pass rush sucked….Lawson was a HUGE loss

quinnen Williams was kind of invisible today…what happened?

young corners didn’t embarrass us

we had no answer for CMC

Robby got his…still was a stupid decision by JD to let him go but I guess we’ve beaten that horse to death already…

I was hoping we’d pull this one out…I have a hard time thinking we’re going to beat NE even at home…maybe a long season again….

twown, BacktoQueens, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Great thread Tom--like usual.

I agree with everything except maybe #11--didn't really notice deficiencies though of course LB can be improved. I like the S/LB hybrid philosophy.

Special point on #3--WTF is Tevin Coleman doing starting!? He was arm-tackled in spots where I'm sure Josh Adams would have run thru.

94Abraham, tomdeb and Brook! like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Van Rotten sucks
    The center ain’t too good either

such a shame as Joe Douglas was supposed to know offensive line play and these were his guys

BleedJetsGreen1981, Cman68 and IDFjet like this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

All brake. No gas.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I just said the same thing in another thread. Right on.

12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

If Sam didn't overthrow some receivers this would have not have been close.

ouchy, gajetsfan, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agreed 100% Carolina left points on the board. This shoulda been a blowout

tomdeb likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

1. Definitely True
    2. Could be
    3. I disagree here. Coleman's skills are as a receiver and running wide, not running up the middle. I have no earthly idea what possessed LaFleur to constantly run up the gut on 1st & 2nd downs.
    4. Agree
    5. Didn't realize that was Brown. I was shocked at how many penalties the Jets got early, but they stopped as the game progressed
    6. Agree
    7. Definitely agree
    8. I didn't pay attention to his KOs. It's surprising that they wouldn't have been touchbacks, however as they were in preseason and he has a very strong leg. His leg must have gotten tired from having to punt.
    9. I agree that the OL did seem to play better without him. I am very disappointed and puzzled by his play this year. I fear that he's not a scheme fit, and Saleh and LaFleur screwed up by changing the blocking scheme.
    10. It looks more and more like that, and that pisses me off. At this point, I'd take Mims over LaFleur 10 times out of 10
    11. I agree at this point. Nasirildeen and Sherwood could eventually develop into quality LBs, but if not, they could move back to safety. We need LBs who already know how to play the position at a high level
    12. You may be right about that. I never heard his name called today.
    13. I agree. Hopefully, he'll get a shot sooner rather than later.
    14. Here I disagree, at least in terms of not playing Mims more than a play or two, and in LaFleur's play calling. Too many runs up the guy and runs on 1st and 2nd downs.

15. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

Moral Victory
    1. Zach looks like the real friggin deal--accurate, hell of an arm, smart, mobile, etc.
    2. Becton will be boom or bust. This guy is on a fast track to being a disaster...fast.
    3. Coaches showed EXCELLENT in-game adjustments at half time
    4. RBs--emmmmmmmm not good
    5. Davis could be GREAT
    6. Defense held its own, especially the secondary
    7. Sam Darnold still sucks--now he just sucks + has McCaffrey
    8. Ammendola a game saver
    9. OL IS A MAJOR MAJOR ISSUE

Take the loss. It's one loss. And move on.

Giants lose.
    Pats lose.

I am good.

16. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

if
    if
    if

that's why they play the game on the field and not "if" on message boards.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I thought the offensive playcalling was beyond pathetic in the first half, but got a little better in the second half. I was much more disappointed with the defensive playcalling, and their unwillingness to put a spy on McCaffrey when he was pretty much the entire Carolina offense (other than the one bomb to Anderson), right up to the last play when McCaffrey got the first down to clinch the game. They need to do a lot better in my opinion.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

1. Definitely agree.
    2. I disagree. He may not be a scheme fit for LT, but may be able to move to OG and be effective. He may have to lose 30 pounds to be effective, we may have to trade him, or he could fix his technique issues and become at least solid, and maybe great
    3. I agree for the most part, except McCaffery was still killing us at the end of the game. A player should have been assigned one-on-one to him. Also, Mims should have gotten more snaps.
    4. It's hard for RBs to be good when there are no holes.
    5. Yes, he could be.
    6. Yes, they played much better than I thought, especially the CBs, but I was shocked at how poorly they played vs. the run early in the game. I wasn't worried about that before the game, but Fatukasi and Williams were routinely moved out and holes opened. Williams and Rankins should have been able to get more pressure up the middle on Darnold as well.
    7. Agree
    8. Agree
    9. Agree, but think it will get better

tomdeb likes this.
  19. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

Can also say if the Jets showed up in the first half we may have won this game or even if we didnt blow ONE coverage to Robbie Anderson maybe we win the game.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  20. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The OL played really poorly, but it looked a lot like an OL that was playing with a bunch of new players and did not have enough experience playing with each other in this system. This is the problem with not playing them enough in the pre-season because you don't want them to get injured. They were letting some free runners get through, they had a lot of trouble with stunts and they also frequently looked uncertain as to who each of them should be blocking. Hoping its just growing pains that will resolve itself once they play more with each other in this system, but I guess we'll see.

mrjet80 likes this.