There's a reason you put a rookie QB on the bench

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Not saying I agree with it, believe me. It’s these types of business decisions that have made us such a great franchise over the last 50 years. I was just trying to point out a reason, not necessarily a valid one

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jersey sales is probably the best answer. I believe the hell out of it.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not my logic, it’s the definition, revamp -to remodel.

Jets81 likes this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

But again, it’s not a remodel when it looks the exact same.
    I’m not into arguing semantics tho.

The line sucks despite all the draft and FA capital JD has pumped into it. And Oline is his alleged specialty.
    That’s cause for concern.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Agreed, it’s disheartening right now for sure. The bright side is it’s not from lack of trying. Sadly, addressing the issue and failing is a step up for us from the ignoring the line for years on end . 1 game so not going to panic. Avt looks ok, and we’re not locked into a lot of money with the rest while still having money and premium picks to get it right.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If today is representative of how the jets season is going to go Wilson is going to be in the concussion protocol by week 6, maybe sooner.

You just *cannot* let your QB get hit like that and expect him to play well let alone develop from a rookie into the QB you hope he will be.

The two Jet's rookies that I recall taking a major beating their rookie seasons were Richard Todd and Geno Smith. Both had their potential crippled by the early beatings.

People who are going to mention Ken O'Brien and Mark Sanchez don't need too. O'Brien was a straight redshirt in 1983 and Sanchez didn't start getting beat on until 2011.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Like everyone else I'm disgusted by the quality of OL play today--this is the best our OL coach could do?

This said, to what degree could Wilson's line calls have contributed to the mess we saw? I really don't know enough to figure that out.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Wilson played great. He had some rookie moments but a solid first start. His receivers did not help him much in the first half. Encouraging game for our QB. Why would you sit him , th kid is ready to play and played for his first NFL game.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  9. Br4d

No idea who makes those calls in the current offense. Historically the Jets center has made the line calls and the adjustments when necessary. However this largely due to the fact that the jets always seem to have a young, underprepared QB on the field.

IDFjet likes this.
  10. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

i am sorry this is so dumb

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Just a terrible take. But the guy likes to argue.

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is not all on the o-line like Saleh said. Zach made mistakes, Receivers made mistakes and the play calling was not the best.

This board is amazing. The Jets looked exactly how I expected them to look week 1 with a rookie play caller and rookie QB.

The line will get better as the season progresses as they did as the game progressed today. We need Crowder and Cole back. Elijah more and Michael Carter struggled way more than Zach did today.

We should all be encouraged how Zach played that second half. His first half numbers would have been much better if Elijah just made that catch.

To be calling for Zach to sit I am not sure you watched the game.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do I? What's terrible about the take?

You think it's a smart decision to trot rookie quarterbacks out there with bad rosters and no offensive line?

Do you think Wilson would have benefitted from a year on the bench or no?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

You've completely missed the point and it's evident because you're still stuck in the off-season debates of who we should take (and this isn't the first time you've displayed this).

Wilson should have been holding a clipboard to start the year behind an established journeyman. Not because he wasn't ready or any indictment on him as a prospect or future NFL player. But as an indictment on how below average this roster is, with a rookie coaching staff, several young receivers and a completely new scheme and 'era' of Jets football.

No one called for his benching. But it's what a smart franchise would've done to mitigate the damage of a young quarterbacks psyche.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. bicketybam

I don't. Get in there and play. No better learning that on the job training. And I think he did well all things considered. He played very well in the second half.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It is revamped. It’s new players that are supposed to be good, but they didn’t perform today.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--Wilson played great and he looked like Mahomes 2--but that fucking OL was atrocious and he's going to get hit more than he should--that's the point being made IMO. Its a trade off--get Zach more snaps and enhance the risk of injury.

18. Br4d

The problem with this theory is that the NFL is the sports worlds biggest shark tank and if you're swimming with the big fishes you'd better have some powerful mojo on your side to stabilize things for you early on when you are still a small fish.

This mojo could be a veteran team that has been through the wars together or it could be an ultra-protective rookie bubble/first year redshirt or it could be with a strong mentor who was capable of keeping you out of the rip currents that big fish always create around them.

Ideally you have all 3, like Patrick Mahomes had.

With the Jets you have none of that and so a young QB is more likely to get ripped to shreds in that shark tank than any positive result.

IDFjet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

There are situations that make sense for a young quarterback to play and there are certainly young prospects that force the hand of their given franchise because they've played so much big time football that the franchise might not have much of a choice but to play the kid.

Neither of those apply here. This was not the 2012 Seahawks roster. This was not Baker Mayfield with 1500 college attempts and three years of player under who equates to a professional head coach.

The prudent decision was to sit the kid and let him understand how the NFL works, get the offense underneath him whole the brand new roster (and line specifically) gelled together and insert him into year two or the fourth quarter of the season so he can excel, not give him the sink or swim option.

We just had a thread about how 38/53 (or whatever the ridiculous was) of the roster is brand new. Most of the coaches are brand new to their position. This is likely to be ugly for most of the year.

20. bicketybam

The earth will be barren of life anyway, so does it really matter?