There's a reason you put a rookie QB on the bench

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 12, 2021.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We’ve seen it time and again and unless you have a mauling line like the 09 Jets it doesn’t work. It was obvious early it wasn’t going to work so you have to switch up. Give him some easy throws on first down than you can run or pass on 2nd.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I know he revamped it, and it sucks balls. That's what's disturbing.

3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Oline is very much still a problem--see if Scarnecchia can bring his father aboard to help fix this mess

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets had used play action on 1st down early it might have helped. The end result of their game plan though was 40-odd dropbacks by Wilson and that is almost twice as many as he should get in this early stage of his development.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

At this point, yeah. He should've held a clipboard as soon as he was drafted with some loser taking a beating. He's going to get the David Carr treatment if this game is any early indication and be shell-shocked with happy feet all year.

It already happened on that critical 2nd and short where he bailed right with no pressure.

Cman68 and abyzmul like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I thought the OL was significantly better with Fant at LT and Moses at RT. That may not be coincidental If you look at the players, the scheme, and the way Becton has looked In a power scheme Vs a zone scheme. I'm very curious to see how this combination plays out moving forward. It might be better from a scheme and logistics aspect for this team. I'm not glad Becton Is hurt, I hope It's not serious. Still, I don't think the difference between the lines with and without Becton In there should be overlooked either.

REVISion, Jets81, jetstopgun and 2 others like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Did the OL play better after Becton left the game? He might not be an ideal fit in the scheme after all.

REVISion and Cman68 like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's also very likely to get injured if he's getting hit a half dozen times a game.

I thought the pass protection did look better with Fant at LT and there's an argument that Jets should slow-roll Becton's return to see if Fant fits the scheme better. If he does the odds are very good the Jets can make a favorable trade of Becton before the deadline if he's healthy.

REVISion likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Scheme shouldn't affect a one on one pass set against an edge rusher. Although I agree with both your points.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I thought GVR and Fant looked awful. I felt like all of the pressure came off of the right side of the line. I honestly thought Becton and AVT looked solid. Would need to see the game again to confirm but that's my initial takeaway. Fant can't start at RT again.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If your reason for posting this thread is concern that Wilson will get hurt, I get it, but Wilson did well considering. Yes, made some mistakes, but again he showed that the moment was not too big for him, nor the game too fast. He'll learn from this, but the problem is: can the OL give him more time and open more holes for the RBs? If that doesn't happen, nothing else will work.

Wahoo likes this.
  12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Easy there cowboy. Up by 2 scores Carolina went into prevent for the Jets last possession. Wilson made some nice throws but it wasn’t exactly crunch time. Carolina was never worried about the outcome

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. FJF

40 something drop backs that have a chance of success is better than 20 something doomed from the start.

14. FJF

You start a qb when they look like they can handle it. Wilson looks it. After that it’s about making him as comfortable as possible.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im sorry, why? This isnt the 80s anymore. You play your rookie qbs and thats how it is now. He doesnt need to hold a clipboard, hell be just fine. If i recall you didnt really want him to begin with b
    Youre kidding? This wasnt a blowout it was a 2 possession game. They were absolutely worried and were still bringing pressure they never let up. The difference was in the play calling. Less play action and quicker strikes

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The offensive line was bad but the RBs were responsible for atleast 2 of the sacks and multiple pressures...I also thought the playcalling for most of the game put Wilson and our offensive line in bad spots. Way too predictable and the pass rush was able to tee off

REVISion, Cman68, FJF and 2 others like this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The line is terrible. How can you consider it “revamped” when it’s new faces with same results.

18. FJF

I think by definition new faces makes it revamped. How successful the revamping is is a different story

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Sorry but that doesn’t make any sense.
    The line sucks. Nothing has changed.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yes.. And this does not bode well for Fatboi on the left side. Maybe he needs to move to the right side as the line seemed to stabilize once Fatboi was out. Fant looked better on the left side than Fatboi did.

barfolomew, Wahoo and jetstopgun like this.