Zach Wilson and "Rookie QB Containment" Thread!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Aug 14, 2021.

1. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

But I think if he ends up being a perfect fit in the Patriots system, he can put up close to elite numbers and and make to look even better than he is. I was worried he'd drop to them...and he did. Smart, efficient, and unassuming. Belichick loves that

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

As painful as it's going to be for Shanahan to leave Happy Feet Jimmy on the field with a ready to go roster, he should plant Lance on the bench and not waiver from that decision.

Bills over Jets likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The rumors are that Shanahan wants to rotate Lance and Garoppolo. Kind of reminds me of when the Falcons drafted Mike Vick and they would rotate him into the game and make Chris Chandler feel like a marked man the whole time until he "lost his job to injury".

Never been a fan of rotating QBs (although Brad Smith was a fun gadget player), but I heard somebody on the radio bring up a funny example of a game where Tom Landry rotated Staubach and Morton every other play to keep the calls fresh. Of course they won, but they were platooning 2 QBs who had played in separate Super Bowls.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I remember that very well, but it's funny how the story of it is often garbled when it is talked about. What actually happened was that in the first 6 games of 1971, Landry alternated Morton and Staubach as starter from game to game, with Morton starting games 1, 3, and 5, and Staubach starting games 2, 4, and 6, although in game 2 Morton actually played most of the game. Morton was 2-2 (counting game 2 for him) and Staubach was 2-0. Game 7 was when Landry went bonkers, alternating them on each play, and the Cowboys actually lost that game to the Bears. That lifted the Bears to 5-2 (they lost 6 of their last 7 to finish 6-8), and dropped the Cowboys to 4-3. That was enough for Landry. Staubach started week 8, and Morton basically didn't play the rest of the season. Dallas won 7 straight in the regular season to finish 11-3, and then won 3 more in the postseason, beating the Dolphins in Super Bowl VI, 24-3.

5. abyzmul

You know, I've read like 5 different versions of that story and they are all different. I trust your version better than the others I've heard, it makes more sense.

Thanks, Jeff!

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What Warner says towards the end is important. The staff kept the game plan "simple"...they put Zach in a good position to shine.
    Hope they can keep it up all season... :confused:

We'll see what Zach is made of when we're down 8 points with 1:30 on the clock and 85 yards to go.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was a Cowboys fan when I was a kid and I distinctly remember Stabauch and another QB alternating plays or series. It wasn't in 1972 because I would have only been 4. What I remember most likely happened in 1978-79. I'll have to look at some stats.

I just looked. I think the other QB was Danny White.

9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

1971 Morton v Staubach

You may have seen an NFL special about it as a youngster.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm telling you. I'll do some more digging.

Edit: Now I'm thinking it was Danny White with someone else. I clearly remember two quartbacks being shuffled im and out and Landry was the coach.

#190 bicketybam, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Crazy watching the film. He's so far advanced for his age, it's insane.

Especially when he sees the one on one deep but doesn't like it, so he checks down for the 17 yard gain. "don't need to throw a big ball for a big gain"

Sky's the limit for this kid

12. abyzmul

The fact that Kurt Warner changed his tune about the Jets is pretty cool, it means more to me than guys like Simms and Romo. Warner's analysis is always QB-obsessed, I thought early in his TV career that he had something against the Jets, but really he just has something against teams with shitty quarterback play.

Falco21, Acad23 and Lon Chaney like this.
  13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

learned something today.

remember Denver tried something like that in the 90's when the Bills were making 4 SB's...
    forget the players now...

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It was Craig Morton and Staubach.

15. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Interesting article here:

How Zach Wilson, a film-room junkie, started scouting the Jets long before they drafted him
    https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/09/trust-the-process-jets-zach-wilson-is-a-film-room-junkie.html

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Look many of us are excited including myself about Zach Wilson.

He just has so many qualities that have the making of a elite player, I can only say to my Jets fans to be patient here with the QB.

Like he himself said, don't get "too high on the highs" and "too low on the lows". He may turn around some incredible games or have trouble adjusting.

We just have to let him/the team grow and most importantly they need put him in a position to succeed. Which we are doing instead of what we did with Darnold.

I truly believe Zach can turn this franchise around but with football it really seems like it can fall apart. So just try to keep expectations modest lol

Noam likes this.