Grand Isle, LA - Formerly a habitable place

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Br4d, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Cman68, RochesterJet and barfolomew like this.
  2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

The next few years.

Remember when hurricane sandy was supposed to be a once in a lifetime event?

Thank jeebus that climate change is a hoax manufactured by bill gates and jewish space lasers.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Sad for the residences of the island but the reality is...this island is in the middle of a hurricane highway and has been for some time.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Changed my retirement planning. Was thinking FL. Not anymore.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am Optimistic the USA will follow the Science and get our act together versus greenhouse gas emissions

The pressure has to be put on the rest of the planet , especially China and Russia

Acad23 and barfolomew like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If projections are true, the efforts to mitigate it are pretty much futile given the size of the global population. China is the world's biggest polluter, accounting for about as much as the next four biggest polluters in the world. And they're not changing.

The world should look to adapt to how the world is changing as Brad said - stop inhabiting places that are uninhabitable. As @IDFjet said in the other thread, migrate to places that do not have disastrous warning signs of being uninhabitable.

If the world is truly about to wreck itself, we can't fix that. And all these assholes flying on private jets to celebrate New Years in three different time zones are doing a hell of a lot more damage than you or I.

Ironic that they're always the one's beating the climate change drum.

If you're beating the drum, please, tell us, what personal steps have you taken to help? Do you drive an electric vehicle? Do you refuse to use disposable cups, plates, K-Cups, straws and other plastic materials? Do you limit the amount of red meat you eat? Do you have solar panels on your house?

If not, I don't really want to hear the preaching.

bicketybam, Cman68, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  7. Br4d

We're the people that keep backing out of the agreements we negotiate in the international forum.

This is because unlike China and Russia our government changes hands every 5-10 years between the Presidency and control of Congress.

It is *our* fault that things have gotten to the state they have because we give everybody else, especially the other big polluters, cover for their failure to act responsibly.

The 3 biggest polluters right now:

China 11gt
    USA 5.6gt
    India 3gt

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Paris Climate Accord gave the rest of the worlds biggest polluters a free pass to continue to pollute over the next 20 years (dating back to when it was negotiated and signed), while the US was the biggest financial contributor and takes money and ships it to oligarchs running third world countries that will divert the money as oligarchs do, to whatever they want.

Meanwhile, China, India and Russia chose the pollution marks they hit and self policed themselves.

You want to argue that we need a deal like that? Sure, definitely. Let's do it. That was not a good deal. And for someone like you, my friend, who thinks this is such a dire situation - the world's biggest polluters setting 2035 as a destination to reduce their pollutants, shouldn't be good enough.

RochesterJet likes this.
  9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

That last metric is a bit misleading. I'll assume it is correct but if you divide per head we are the leaders by far. Also, consider that much of that pollution in China is created by industrial processes meant to feed our laziness.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's always Myrtle Beach.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. Cman68

headed there next month for a weekend getaway.

abyzmul and barfolomew like this.
  12. abyzmul

My aunt retired there about 6 months ago and really likes it, and she bleeds Long Island so she's not the easiest person to please.

13. Cman68

They don't tax SS there. Huge advantage.

barfolomew likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

New York doesn't either. NY doesn't tax the first $20,000 of pension income; SC exempts only $10,000. Huge advantage over what?

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

On the bright side, if we have a global thermonuclear war, we won't have to worry about global warming anymore.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. abyzmul

Over having to live in New York, probably. Not sure that Cman lives there anyway, I think I remember him saying he was in the Midwest at one point.

17. Br4d

Pennsylvania I think. Could be wrong.

Upstate NY is quite nice except from December to March. Alexandria Bay is one of the places I would think about retiring too at this point. The Thousand Islands is a great summer place and pretty nice in the spring and fall also.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Florida has not been hit by a major hurricane in years. It's like there has been a force field around my state all storms lately go under to the golf or above to Georgia and the Carolinas .

The difference in Florida is all building codes are well beyond those of states like Louisiana/ the north east/ parts of the Carolinas . Hurricanes are just another reason to throw a party down here

Last scare was Dorian ... Cat 5 barreling towards us on the east coast ... Just suddenly stopped and headed north ?!?!??! Was kind of worried but still perplexed how a cat 5 the size of Texas just stops and goes north

19. Br4d

Until recently the gulf stream was in full flow due to the warming of waters in the south Atlantic. This may have pushed weather patterns eastward over time. However the gulf stream is slowing somewhat over the last few years due to the capping of the north Atlantic oscillation by Greenland melt water. This will have unpredictable effects moving forward.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

2016, 2017, 2018* back to back to back seasons.... one year away from a dynasty :confused:

*EDIT, forgot Hurricane Michael.... that pretty much flattened Mexico Beach

#20 stinkyB, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    The Waterboy likes this.