Great stuff said by Coach Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's a little soon to say Saleh is better in any way to Rex.

Sure... I agree his approach seems better suited for long term success... but results matter.

Ryan got us to two AFCCG's... let's see what Saleh can accomplish. Can't wait.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Not better as a coach, I said he's just as good at winning the locker room. and his 10+ years in the league has already shown that. He's beloved by all his players and they fight for him.

Acad23 likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It'll be an interesting comparison.

2 rookie head coaches... both defensive coordinators coming from Super Bowl winning teams... both strapped with high draft rookie quarterbacks.

Rex defied the odds for two seasons before the Jets Curse reared it's ugly head.

Saleh seems more solid & sensible in his approach... I don't see any foot fetish videos or qb tattoos in his future... :confused:

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Rex was set up to succeed by Mangini and Tanny. He inherited a veteran team with an excellent OL and strong veteran leaders. He took over for a disciplinarian, micro-managing control freak of a HC who had lost the team. Rex was a player's coach who was one of the guys and who made it fun. When player coaches follow a disciplinarian, there is almost always a bump in the level of the team's play for a year or two and then things spiral downwards quickly. That's exactly what happened with Rex.

Saleh is already light years better than Rex as he is mature, smart, and a leader. He is involved with the whole team, not just the D, but lets his coaches coach. He makes it fun, yet he demands attention to detail, hard work and discipline. Saleh has brought in 21st Century systems, whereas Rex brought in old-fashioned smash mouth football with a couple of exotic blitzes, but once the rest of the NFL figured out those blitzes, Rex had nothing.Saleh has more experience and better results as a coach than Rex had prior to coming to the Jets. The results will be there. The only way they won't is if none of JD's draft picks/FAs work out or the team continues to suffer typical Jets' bad luck and sees key players go down with injuries every year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Rex was not a DC. He was the DL Coach for the Ravens. Rex brought about the curse with his immaturity, lack of leadership and discipline, his refusal to learn both sides of the ball and his big mouth.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I knew my post would bring out the Rex haters...

All valid points... but the fact is that Ryan got us to two conference championship games in his 1st two years.

If winning football is the true measure... then Rex is one of the better coaches we've had.

All that other stuff is just window dressing.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Robert Saleh hasn't head coached a single NFL game in his life so he's not better than anyone at this point.

cval and Ralebird like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Not even Adam Gase?

[​IMG]

9. abyzmul

He is what his record says he is.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Rex was great at first because he inherited a team of veterans that primarily needed motivation, and his defensive schemes were brilliant. But eventually he got younger players who needed discipline as well as motivation, and other teams adapted to his schemes, which he couldn't counter.

50ShadesOfGreen likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought it was because he served under two shitty GM's... :confused:

13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Not sure I follow you. Rex was a DC for at least 4 years with the Ravens including Assistant Head Coach. While I didn’t care for his HC at the last few years with the Jets, he was a perfect fit for Tay Lewis and the Tough defensive minded veterans.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Of course he was a DC... @NCJetsfan be hatin' with a side of disinfo... :mad:

15. NCJetsfan

My bad. Previously, I had thought he had been the DC for the Ravens, but in a convo a year or so ago, someone corrected me and said that he had only been the DL Coach. I just looked it up and I was mistaken. He was the DC for the 2005-2008 seasons.

16. NCJetsfan

My bad. Previously, I had thought he had been the Ravens DC before coming to the Jets, but in a convo with someone here, thought I remembered that they had corrected me and said that he hadn't. I just looked it up and you are correct, he was the DC for 4 years (2005-2008) & Asst. HC in 2008.

17. abyzmul

Buddy Ryan was only the Jets DL coach. Maybe that was the disagreement.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

At least Rex didn't leave any ambiguity wrt kissing Belicheat's rings. After 6 months I still have no idea where Saleh stands on the issue.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

What if he just refuses to lightly caress Belichick's rings? Maybe a backrub?

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. If Rex was our HC today, he'd have the entire country convinced his Jets led by Zack Wilson are winning the SB