Cam Newton Released!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Just say no! Old saying from Nancy Reagan. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Hilarious.

Anyone else excited about the possibility that Mac Jones goes bust like other Alabama QBs? I checked and Mac Jones is no better than Tua. The Pats have a nice offensive line which played great in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Let's see what happens when the pressure comes and he starts looking more like Sam Darnold.

I think we can beat the Pats this year and compete with the Dolphins for 2nd place in the division.

Brook! likes this.
  3. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Well, we did once have a fashion-forward QB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brook! and mute like this.
  4. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Just thought I would post a list of some of these "goes bust like other Alabama QBs"

Bart Starr
    Joe Namath
    Ken Stabler
    Richard Todd
    Scott Hunter
    Harry Gilmer
    Jeff Rutledge

And that was just after a quick look. As for "I checked and Mac Jones is no better than Tua" I suggest you do some more research

Quarterback Mac Jones finished his first full season as Alabama’s starter with 4,500 yards, 41 touchdowns and four interceptions while completing 77.4 percent of his passes. Jones led the nation in passing yards, completion percentage, passer rating (203.06) and yards per attempt (11.2) and was also second in passing touchdowns and third in passing yards per game (346.2). Jones’ 77.4 completion percentage is a single-season record in college football.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...c-Jones-DeVonta-Smith-Najee-Harris-159251659/

5. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Those are some very old names from a different era. Alabama and Ohio State have been dominant recently yet how many of their star QBs have found success in the NFL?

You just posted Mac Jones stats but Tua had similar stats in his last season....43TD and 6INT with a 69% comp.

I read this analysis by someone who looked carefully at both QBs career

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tua-tagovailoa-mac-jones-better-alabama-qb-prospect/

He concludes that Tua is the better prospect after a very detailed analysis.

The one thing I've learned after watching NFL for over 30 years is that nobody can predict QB performance. What makes or breaks a QB is how he deals with pressure. The problem that these big school QBs have is they play with huge pockets and receivers who are so much better than the competition and are always wide open.

I'd like to see how Mac handles pressure. Of course, as a Jet fan, I have to hope he's a total bust along with Tua and sinks the Pats season.

Brook! likes this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

From the first I was very surprised Belichick signed him last year. Newton just doesn't seem to fit with Belichick's style offense which is ball control. Newton's is more free wheeling. That said, I think Newton did a fairly good job given it was his first year in Belichick's system with a lot of new players. It was the year without Brady and they were still better than the Jets, so Newton had some positive impact. Mac Jones seems to be exactly the type of QB Belichick likes, so I'm not too surprised he's willing to go with him.

But I certainly agree Newton doesn't belong on the NYJ. If the Jets wanted a veteran backup they should have kept Josh Johnson. I think they may regret the decision to cut him. If Wilson proves to be the real deal winning games, and then gets hurt, Johnson is a guy who can come in and win games. I don't think Mike White can do that yet.

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Alabama, until the last couple of years, has based its success on defence and so did not require a "star QB" - your words not mine. Its only since Saban has adopted the RPO concept that Bama has started to recruit a different type of QB, rather than just a games manager ie Blake Sims. etc. Jalen Hurts, Tua and Mac Jones are that different type of QB that Bama are now recruiting.

I have to disagree that Tua's 69% comp and Mac Jones 77.4% are similar - the later being a single-season record in college football.

I think that both Zach Wilson and Mac Jones can be successful with the teams that drafted them but I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident if they had been draft by the others new team

8. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Mac Jones broke Colt McCoy's record of 76.7%. Geno Smith had a 71% season. It seems the all time great college comp pct guy are hit or miss.

Now hopefully Zach Wilson's 73% predicts greatness.

Again, what are the odds that the 5th QB chosen turns out to be great?

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

probably low but its low for every slot to turn out to be great. It was also a unique year with 4 QBs in the top 11 and the challenges of scouting players in a pandemic/pandemic-shortened season.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You realize Namath was an Alabama QB?

Brook! likes this.
  11. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

And Richard Todd was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Yes, someone gave a whole list of Alabama QBs who had some success. They were all from the distant past like Namath.

The fundamental problem with these big school QBs is that they have dominant offensive lines and WRs that make the QB look a lot better than he is. They come to the NFL and have to play with a lot less time, much tighter windows and don't have the same success.

I watched the preseason. The Patriots offensive line looks amazing. They did really well in the preseason. Mac was very comfortable. But this is the preseason. Teams don't risk their best pass rushers. Yet Mac Jones still took lots of unnecessary sacks.

I'll repeat that there is no way to predict these things. I like the odds that Mac is a bust for the Pats.

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Who lead us to the Superbowl :eek: Cam is the answer we need!

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's not a very fine line between greatness and a draft bust, really. I think people will call him a bust because I'm not sure he'll live up to the first round billing of a complete QB, but I also don't think he'll follow the career path of any recent Bama QBs except maybe Tua who also seems to be stuck at Slightly Above Average.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But boy didn't he look shit on his two pro day outings :eek::D:p

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Who knows. Maybe Cam is back with the Panthers in week 2.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're generalizing too much to try to make a point without analyzing each prospect individually. Every prospect is different.

Schools also evolve. Alabama churned out bad quarterback prospects for 20 years until Saban decided to modernize, recruit top rated QB prospects and run a spread offense comparable to the NFL. The Alabama quarterbacks from 2000-2010 are not the same types of players from the next decade.

There shouldn't be a preference that shies away from big school quarterbacks for that reason or else you're going to be looking at guys with dogshit rosters or who have lesser talent and play with lesser talent.

Josh Rosen was a stud in college with a trash team that dropped balls and had him under pressure at all times. He still performed and ended up being garbage. Compare him to Deshaun Watson or Baker Mayfield who played on loaded rosters and have both turned out to be good players.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

I understand your points, and they are good ones, but has Alabama truly had anyone good yet in the NFL? Jury is still very much out on Tua and Hurts

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They haven't. But they've produced three quarterbacks in the top two rounds and all three will be starting this year. That's a big step up from Jake Coker and AJ McCarron and such.

Point is that things change and programs evolve. Alabama is evolving into as much of a recruiting machine for offense (and not just runningbacks) as they are for defense. Who knows what Tua/Hurts/Jones turn into but I would not write off them spitting out a big time NFL quarterback just because history is not on their side with it. The game is vastly different now than it was in even say 1995.

20. BrowningNagle

True. Might change now though with Sarkesian in Texas