Zach Wilson and "Rookie QB Containment" Thread!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Aug 14, 2021.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that HS football meme was a joke.

Edit: Or was it real? It’s on his Wikipedia. I kind of just assumed it was fake lol

2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The school in question, Lincoln High, released a statement a day or two after that report hit stating that it was false. No one picked up that part of the story and the original false narrative persists to this day. Probably because it's kinda funny.

PJ4Ever and FJF like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If time to throw doesn’t translate to NFL success, why should we care?

Russell Wilson 2.97
    Patrick Mahomes 2.89
    Deshaun Watson 2.85
    Baker Mayfield 3.05
    Lamar Jackson 2.98
    Josh Allen 3.04

I personally think time throw is only good for determining possible ideal scheme fits and not much more.

#163 legler82, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This clip didn't need it's own thread so just sharing here. Someone sent me this last night and thought it was pretty funny. 7 minutes long about Romos comments about how Zach can be Mahomes level and quickly get there. If it was posted somewhere else, please disregard. Didn't see it.

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I think he's at Bishop Sycamore in OH

I love that Eisen is a Jets fan.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

When exactly did the Carson Wentz haters go wrong?

He had an excellent year for a team that was so stacked their 2nd string QB marched through the remainder of the Eagles schedule and all through the playoffs and SB for the win. He was dumped in favor of the mediocre at best J Hurts.

So far Lance looks exactly like the QB everyone feared. Inexperienced, took too many sacks, was indecisive and generally looked lost playing against backups t the backups. Lance looks as raw as can be. He could develop chances are usually against QBs having to learn at the NFL level

The only thing Lance has going for him is no one got to see whether he was a viable QB prospect or not last year, he only played one game and played a horrid game at that. So because he didnt play some give him not only a pass but without any tape assume it would have been the most impressive of the group. Meanwhile the guy with the 70something comp %, the most yardage of the group, 30+tds to 3INT ratio is somehow passed up for Lance

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Wentz was the league MVP lock 3/4 through that season before blowing out the knee.
    There wasn't even a close 2nd. His play was that far ahead of everyone else to that point.
    Foles had a career post season run, but that takes nothing away from how Wentz looked all year, or his role in that Super Bowl season, or career in general.
    lmao, are you still trying to suggest he never belonged in this league?

In terms of Lance, of course he's raw.
    He needs experience at this point, and has no business starting this year really.
    Let's check back on that one next year.

Were you one of the ones bashing Allen? I noticed you left him out.
    I'll bet yes.
    I'll note that at the time, pre draft, i really liked Allen, and knew Rosen would bust.
    Same as I'm endorsing Lance now.
    All the right skillsets and intangibles are there.

#167 BacktoQueens, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Wentz's big year was FOUR years ago. Hes not that QB anymore. Hes an often injured shell of that QB. Hell hes a question mark with his old HC on a stacked Indy team. As for Foles, he was coming off of a 2015 season where shit the bed in StL and a 2016 where he did the same in KC. Two shots at being the guy and failed, thats all.

For Allen, you lose that bet, I was all in on Allen. I will never get the logic that because Allen came from the same school that Lance will be the same type player. Thats as idiotic as thinking everyone that follows Mahomes at Texas Tech will be like Mahomes.

Tom Brady, Von Miller, Julio Jones, Khalil Mack, I can go on with players that would have been in the conversation for MVP, wasnt a shut and done competition. Especially with 3+ games left to the season.
    Have no idea why your lyao at the idea that Foles was a backup who slid right into the starting spot, secured the playoffs and rolled through the SB. Whats so funny, its a fact

What other than what I said did you say about Lance? Hes played what, 16 or 18 college games? Played one game last year and sucked as bad as you can suck. Experience can prove hes a top prospect or that hes not. His status is due to physical traits, not the tape hes left behind. Hes an erratic college QB that Amy or may not change with experience

More importantly what was the point of any of your response and the overall pompous attitude with regards to me saying Lance needs experience and then you going after me for Wentz in 2017 when my quote was he had an excellent year then you doubled down pretty much parroting the comments and then disputing the Foles facts for no apparent reason other than who knows and then bringing Allen in as if you were the lone Allen fan, or so you say

#168 LF911SC, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The chances are usually against high drafted QBs because they are usually drafted by teams that have somehow proven they are the worst in the league or at least close to it.

That's not even close to the situation that Lance is in right now. He is in the dream situation for young project quarterbacks, drafted to as close to a complete team as you could ask for and only a couple years removed from the SB with a shitty QB, and they have the luxury of not starting him right away and letting the speed catch up for him.

That hill you're about to die on is a speed bump.

Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Meantime, Vegas odds for rookie offensive player of the year went down from 10-1 to 5-1 for Wilson. Trevor is the favorite. Elaijah is 45-1. I hope Moore lights the position on fire. Made small token bet for the kid.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think Mac Jones has a real good chance at the award.

Jets81 and Noam like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mac Jones and Justin Fields at 15-2. Trey Lance 9-2.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I already put in at 6-1 and put in Jones at 8-1 when they announced him as a starter.

IMO those two have the best chance of the rookie QBs to win OROY

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It might surprise nobody but if I was a gambling man it looks like there is some good money to be made on Devonta Smith. Even though he isn't a QB, IMO he has the best chance at OROY.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Smart move. I think there will be so much attention on the QB class, that for AWR or TE to win it, the player would had to lead the entire league in yards and or TDs.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

With Jalen Hurts running plays called by Nick Sirianni? Not feeling that one.

ouchy and FJF like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

+450 odds on Mac Jones is weak at this juncture but I grabbed it anyway. I think he's going to win it.

Ralebird and Lon Chaney like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I get that Hurts is unproven but Smith is an easy target. He is a one look QBs dream. Plus they also got Minshew and Flacco if he falters. I don't know the exact odds but if you could get 10-1 on him that would be a promising bet.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Five receivers have won the award in the last thirty years. Three in the last twenty. If the best odds you're getting are 10-1 on Smith, it's a hard pass.

bicketybam and Lon Chaney like this.
  20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I was impressed with all of the qbs except Lance this preseason. I guess that might be expected since he hasn’t played football in like 2 years or something, and jumping to the nfl from a lower conference.

Lawrence, Wilson and Fields look like they could be real top echelon players. Mac was impressive but he just does not have the talent level of the rest to ever be a potential super star. He looks like he could be a real good quarterback, but never elite. The other 3 (and even Lance) have the potential to be elite.