Bless Austin released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Sep 1, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think the issue is going form a bad starter to cut is a huge jump. typically a bad starter can be a solid depth piece.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

121 posts on JAG Bless awful Austin. Best of luck to the kid, but his ego couldn't cash the cheque it was writing.

Yes he may have been running with the #1s but I firmly believe that this coaching staff feels it can take low draft picks at LB and CB and turn them into solid starters.

Bless was a year 3 player who was not very good and as some posters have already mentioned, we have an abundance of draft capital for the next draft.

As the coaching staff and GM have said, this season is all about improvement and evaluation. I firmly believe they want to get a full seasons evaluation on this very young D core to see if any of them have the potential to stick and stick well.

Just think if a couple of these young players could cement a starting spot for a few years or even longer with the Jets, it makes us even more flexible when coming up to next year's draft.

We're trying to create depth and get some talent on board. Bless isn't either.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

When you go through multiple training camps where your former head coach makes you think that David Clowney could be the next Randy Moss, this tends to happen with trash players.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Bless Austin would be a hit on the Cowboys. Jerry Jones might sign him just to boost jersey sales in South Texas.

#124 abyzmul, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Bless was a local boy fan favorite who never made the jump to starter material. And, as we do with all our other sub-starter level filled roster spots who shine for a bit, we hype them up. If the rookies were even close to Austin in terms of what the coaching staff looked for, and more athletic, the decision was easy. I mean we couldn't even trade him for Mr. Irrelevant in next year's draft.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Yeah but it was Austin the majority of the time.

7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Isnt Guidry the starting slot at this point? Dunn played with the 1s sometimes too.

REVISion likes this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah but Austin was cut after that "majority of time".

So......

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I would have expected Bless to put out some kind of announcement like thanks for the opportunity etc. That he hasn't and that thus far not a peep from other NFL teams, I think he got himself in trouble and the NYJ cut bait. Thus their explanation--they are not going to be the first to spill the beans. IMO

Lon Chaney, Falco21 and PJ4Ever like this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You may be right.

I just looked at both his Instagram and Twitter and not one post from him

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah I think all signs point to something off the field and he wasn't good enough for the jets to feel he's worth the headache coming. If deshaun watson had the same skill level as bless he would have been cut by houston

12. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

I feel like these guys are ALL immensely talented, physically. The difference is often simply finding a system that matches the skill set.
    I have no insight here, but just saying maybe the CS feels they have one or two guys who simply fit the system right.

LF911SC, themorey and Red Menace like this.
  13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I've never understood this franchise's fanbase obsession with garbage players, the list is never ending, every preseason a new hero emerges

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

brett Ratliff says hi

FJF likes this.
  15. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Has someone even signed him to the PS? There’s the answer, he’s not that good! If so someone would have traded for him, or quickly snapped him up on waiver claim. The fact that did NOT happen, tells the story. I had no issue with Bless, as we have had 0 talent at CB last few years, but he was not starter material in NFL…. Even on 2-14 team. Or until he can prove that premise wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. abyzmul

He wasn't bad and he was young. I'm with the people that think there's probably a non- football reason why he's in the wind right now. If not, he's a young aggressive corner with starting experience, you would expect teams to at least bring him in for a look for depth. Big mouth or not.

#136 abyzmul, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    ouchy, Jonathan_Vilma and Lon Chaney like this.
  17. abyzmul

Some promising young players buy into the hype and stop improving, look no further than Kerry Rhodes on that one.

Br4d and themorey like this.
  18. Sack exchange

At least we got some value for him in a trade? How bout Clowney, kept him over woodhead. Pretty much never did anything! You are right, there is always some udfa or low round pick that fans hype, for some fascination. Really all founded on unrealistic fan expectation. But in fairness, sometimes warranted, Chrebet, victor green, Robbie Anderson, etc. all of which were the real deal. But more duds than studs for sure. Tebow comes to mind. Never even played for us. Another comparable to bless I can think of is Enunwa. But in fairness he got hurt. And flashed a FEW games. But that hype machine was extraordinary.

#138 Sack exchange, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  19. Sack exchange

Funny that brings up good question, have we ever had late round 4th or later) that ever panned out as even a good backup?

20. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

We've actually done relatively OK in the 4th round, especially given our terrible draft history. Leon Washington, Bilal Powell & Kerry Rhodes immediately come to mind. Wesco (our FB) was also a 4th rounder. Herndon who was good for 1 year was a 4th rounder and just traded for a 4th rounder. Hall was a 5th rounder and he's a decent starter. The terminator, John Connor (an FB) was a 5th rounder. Dwight Lowery was a 4th rounder. Brad Smith (a gadget WR we used to have and kickoff returner, if I recall correctly) was a 4th rounder. Leon Johnson was a 4th rounder.