53 Man Roster Prediction | WHO will make the New York Jets Team?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Aug 28, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

depends on the price. last I seen they wanted a 2nd. that's way too high. I'd be willing to trade the 4th we got for herndon but nothing else.

I'd love to grab Jalen Wydermyer in the 2022 draft

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Supposedly, Minny offered a 4th for Ertz and was turned down, so I doubt our 4th would be enough. A healthy Ertz would be worth a 3rd round pick. Ertz was out approx 6 games last year with a high ankle sprain. JD knows Zach very well.

3. GasedAndConfused

way too much IMO for ertz. I'd rather grab hollister off waivers and bring back yeboah

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To me the TE situation is not all that surprising. It was an average bunch at best wherein not one excelled as a catching TE with solid blocking skills. So they prioritized blocking to help Wilson and the offense and hope something comes loose post cuts. Unlike years past we have plenty of receivers that can catch the ball if the blocking is solid. Ken will find his way onto the PS.
    I'm more concerned about OL depth at this point.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You aren't going to find a better player than Ertz in round 3 next year. The concern for JD signing Ertz, wouldn't be a 3rd rounder, it will be his salary.

Not having a few solid TE's on our roster will hurt Zach.

6. GasedAndConfused

health, age, salary and he looked rough last year on the field. I'd take my chances with a 3rd rounder with potential then an aging player who isn't what he once was. it's a good draft for TEs next year. Plus we'd pay him 8.5 mil for 1 year and he'd be a free agent after this season. where a 3rd rounder will be on the team for 4 years

7. GasedAndConfused

yeah i'm excited for our WR group for the 1st time in a long time.

With that said now there are only 11 players left from when JD took over. he replaced 42 players and the coaching staff in 2 offseasons. pretty impressive. all while clearing cap room and gaining a lot of draft picks. Only wesco, crowder, edoga, Q, shepard, foley, maye, cashman, mosley, bless,and hennesey remain

Jets79, LAJet and Noam like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How much a player makes is irrelevant to me since I'm not paying his salary. All I care about is how well he plays on the field. With regards to Edoga, we disagree. I don't think he's a solid depth piece in any way, shape or form. I had high hopes for him and was glad the Jets drafted him after his showing at the Sr. Bowl that year. He gets little or no push as a run blocker that I've seen and is very shaky in pass protection.

I know we aren't going into the season with one TE. Besides, we don't have just 1. Wesco is a TE/FB. We won't use a FB all that often. IMO he will see the field much more as TE than as a FB.

I'm fully aware of what round Zuniga was drafted in. It may be early to give up on him, but he was often-injured in college and has been often injured so far in the NFL. I doubt that he somehow suddenly gets healthy and stays that way. I'd rather have kept Rashed or Yeboah.

Yes, Cashman has shown flashes, but he's also shown that he can't stay healthy. If he can't stay available then he's a waste of a roster spot. I had hopes for him initially, but no longer have much hope for him.

I know that JD is going to work the waiver wire and explore trades, and I trust that he will do the best he can, and that will be plenty good. I'm not criticizing him. I was just saying that I was shocked at some of the decisions/moves.

#68 NCJetsfan, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    blackssmagic likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I hope not. He can't stay healthy and is on the wrong side of 30, which means he is even less likely to stay healthy. I'd much rather have Jacob Hollister. He's only 27. He may not be as good as Ertz when Ertz is healthy, but he could help us for 2-3 years. I also don't think we'd get Ertz for anything reasonable, and I don't want to waste draft capital for a one-year rental in a non-playoff, rebuilding season.

egelband and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I'm glad to see you posting and respect your opinion, but I disagree that Ertz would be worth a 3rd especially with his contract. That's a steep price for a one-year rental of a player who is likely to get injured and not even play in 2/3 of the games. It would totally be our luck to burn a 3rd trading for him, then he goes down in his 2nd game and is gone for the season. No thanks.

Hopefully, we are taking a TE well before the 3rd round next year. The TE position is very important in this offense. I can't see JD waiting until the 3rd round to address TE, especially with how little we have at the position. I think he will use the earlier 1st rounder on a DE, and will either used the 2nd 1st rounder on a CB or TE. With the two second round picks, he will take the one he didn't take with the 2nd 1st round pick, and possibly take an OG, LB or S with the other 2nd round pick.

#70 NCJetsfan, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  11. GasedAndConfused

I mean you don't think it, but the jets staff clearly does, as does PFF, as do many others. There is a reason he made the team. and the money does matter when you balance out a cap a lot.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I must say.

I did pretty good in terms of having a pulse on our roster (throughout all of Mini Camp, OTAs, Training Camp and Preseason).

Went 22/27 (81.4%).

1.) DJ Montgomery.
    Chuma Edoga.
    Josh Johnson.
    Vyncint Smith.

Jeff Smith.
    David Moore.
    Grant Hermanns.
    Isaiah Williams.
    Ryan Griffin.
    Daniel Brown
    Bennett Jackson.
    Elijah Campbell.
    Hamilcar Rashed
    Jr.
    Lawrence Cager.
    Milo Eifler.

Isaiah Dunn.
    Corey Levin.
    Nathan Shepherd.
    Sharrod Neasman.
    Del'Shawn Phillips.
    Jeremiah Valoaga.
    Aaron Adeoye.
    Tanzel Smart.
    James Murray.
    Noah Dawkins.
    JT Hassell.
    Corey
    Levin.
    27.) Mike White.

The only 5 players who made DWCs couch potato cuts were Chuma Edoga, Jeff Smith, Isaiah Dunn, Nathan Shepherd and Mike White.

(JD went with the route of cutting James Morgan, Josh Adams, Kenny Yeboah, Lamar Jackson and Ronnie Blair instead).

13. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know salary matters with regards to the cap, but that isn't an issue for us. What is an issues, the most important issue actually, is keeping Zach healthy and upright. I want no part of Edoga or Feeney ever seeing the playing field while Zach is at at QB. If either ever have to play, I hope they'll bench Zach and play White.

14. GasedAndConfused

and edoga is a better option then who you wanted according to well everyone but you

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Ertz was out for almost 1/2 the year and played hurt a few games. His health is fine, and only missed time last season. I mentioned salary as a concern of JD's, you don't have to rehash it. Zach's stats for 18 & 19 are solid, he still can be better than most TE's in the league for the next couple of years.

We need a solid TE added to this roster.

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Wrong, he's only been hurt in 2020. C'mon, you can't assume he will get hurt cause he's 31. His high ankle sprain is healed. Ertz is better than any TE available.

His salary will be the only thing preventing a trade.

17. GasedAndConfused

ertz was on the right side of 30 win 2018 and 2019. Now he's going to be 31 1 month into the season, coming off an injury and he just looked bad out there last year. maybe he doesn't bounce back? I'm not against ertz overall, just the compensation. I'm not giving up a premium pick for a 31 year old TE coming off injury from a team who is cap strapped. They have to lower their price is they want to move him.

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly fans act as if injuries don't happen in Football and/or act as if because an injury does happen that he's automatically "washed up".

Zach Ertz had his two best career years during 2018 and 2019.

But yet all because he gets banged up in 2020 his elite career is over? That's horse crap.

WW85 likes this.
  19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

DWC, seems like you're the only one that agrees with me.

I thru his name out as a possibility, it's unlikely the Eagle's will part with him, but you never know what Roseman will do.

His salary and his demands is what hurting a trade, not offering a 3rd rounder, which is a crap shoot in 2022 that pick will be a solid starter.

20. NCJetsfan

Look it up. If he has only been hurt last year, then why did he only start 3 of 16 games in 2013, 5 of 16 in 2014, 7 of 15 in 2015, 12 of 14 in 2016, 13 of 14 in 2017, only start 15 games in 2019, and only start 11 and play in 11 games in 2020? He's certainly better than anyone else out there, but our luck doesn't run well with injured players. It's a fact that after 30 players are more likely to have injuries and their skills erode overnight. He likely will only be a one-year rental. So what would you give up for him? I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 5th and that likely won't get it done. IMO anything higher than a 5th with his contract and age is nuts.