2021 - Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 27, 2021.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Sep 12, 2021.
  1. Jets

78.9%
  2. Panthers

21.1%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read three articles that said he was good and one that slammed him pretty well. Just the way guys see the game; the stats say he did fine. Probably a handful of guys on their message board grabbing the pitchforks and lighting the torches to head to the one writer's house (and one with the SMH and LMFAO, he doesn't know shit about football) - hide the women and children!

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

On offense, the Jets need to establish the run early. The strength of the Panthers is their DLine, so if the Jets can open lanes early it will lead to easier play actions for Wilson.

On defense they have to pressure Darnold and get off the field on third downs.

The Panthers are on the same level as the Jets IMO. Should be a one possession game in the 4th quarter. We'll see who can make the big plays.

Panthers 27
    Jets 23

#22 Lon Chaney, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On paper I would normally pick the Panthers in this situation except Saleh and crew spent the better part of a month evaluating the game film and strengths and weaknesses of one Sam Darnold. If there is any QB that they should be most prepared to face, it's Sam.

I expect the Jets to sell out against the run and disguise coverage to force the turnovers we've been facepalming for the past 3 years.

Probably will be a close game. And now that I've said all that we'll get blown out by 30.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

This is the Jets. You know, you just KNOW the quarterback they let go is going to have a career day against them. He’ll suck the rest of the season, but he’ll look like a hall of famer against us. Because this is what the Jets do, and I expect no difference

5. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you! ;)

jilozzo likes this.
  7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Meh, if that does happen who cares. Darnold needed to leave the Jets and the Jets needed Darnold to go. I wish him well, but I don't think he will ever be a top 15 NFL QB.

8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

i don’t blame the Jets for getting rid of him, he was done here and personally I don’t think he’ll ever be a top flight qb. I am just expecting the Jets to, you know, Jet and this is a classic scenario for a Jet debacle

9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Sam has looked pretty good so far playing for the Panthers. I was always in the camp that it was way more Gase/Jets fault way more than Sam so I guess we'll see.

The worst case scenario was always that Darnold would turn out to be absolutely fine as a player (which I kind of guessed would be the case) AND Wilson would end up disappointing. At least that part doesn't look like it will come true.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold will get his revenge here. I expect to be 0-1 heading into the home opener

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Revenge? I bet when he found out he was being traded he had a party. He'll throw 2 pick 6 as a thank you.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Darnold still has horrible footwork, and still can’t read defenses.

If this new defensive scheme is what I expect it to be, they will keep everything in front of them and force Darnold to be perfect the whole game.

If Jets get enough pressure on Sam he will be forcing a lot of throws and Jets will have a lot of interceptions, Hall should have a good day against Sam.

My fear is the Panthers start controlling the LOS because Sam will force them to be a run first team. Jets defense need to get off the field to have a chance to win the game.

27-17 Jets

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Week 1 @ Carolina will become the beginning of something special within the makings.

NY Jets: 30.
    Carolina: 13.

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

We didn't win our first game until the 14th game after an 0-13 start under Adam Gase last year.

And after only week 1 @ Carolina we're going to finally see the culture change (on the field) under coach Robert Saleh; because we're going to physically destroy them come week 1 (1-0).

The player who I'm most excited for outside of Zach Wilson is the return of C.J. Mosley while Middle Linebacking behind Quinnen Williams (think week 1 vs. Buffalo) because this man is a 4x Pro Bowler and a 4x All-Pro and has more NFL accolades than all of Marvin Jones/Jonathan Vilma/David Harris and Bart Scott (COMBINED).

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  15. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I am pumped to see pre snap motion! I am pumped to have a coach….an actual coach who players respect and think to themselves “Yeah I’ll run through that wall for coach”

Go get it Jets!
    J!-E!-T!-S!
    JETS! JETS! JETS!!!!!

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

His footwork is still garbage and he still panics under pressure.

This is a game the Carl Lawson would have been the difference. Either way, do not fool yourself thinking that Darnold's issues with turnovers, poor decision making, and poor footwork will be put to bed now that he is in a different uniform. I fully expect him to struggle just as he always has.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  17. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

I expect to hear Sam say in his press conference after the Jets win. "I was seeing ghosts all day"

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I know talking trash about Darnold feels good but the guy has a lot of weapons in Carolina. Going down there week 1 and beating them is a tall task

jetstopgun and J-Raw24 like this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I do not think anyone is doubting his weapons. We are doubting him, which there is plenty of evidence to back up.

Darnold is Darnold. Just because he has Anderson and DJ Moore running routes does not mean he doesn't think the team in blue is actually the team in green.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You underestimate a competent offensive gameplan and coaching. He's probably being coached for the first time in two years down there in an offense that isn't designed to work in 2001 where Darnold wouldn't have even been a third round pick.

J-Raw24 likes this.