2021 - Preseason Week 3: Eagles @ Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Noam and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

It still boggles my mind that the Johnson Bros. thought that Gase was the answer.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I was watching that game. Darnold did not look the part through the first quarter. I turned it off when the Jets game finally started but even the announcers were talking about his happy feet and poor footwork

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

I thought I saw a cap site say his salary is $3.2m, and the dead money would be $2.5m, but if the dead money is less we should just get rid of him and clear that MacCagnan contract. It'd be risky getting Yeboah on the PS squad, especially since he was one of the more well known UDFA signings, along with Isiah Dunn. I think the PS rule from last year is being carried over to this year where teams can protect 4 PS players. The next few days should be fun to see who the Jets value and how they play the waiver wire after other teams make cuts.

egelband and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Both Griffin and Herndon should be jettisoned IMO.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Other cool part of last night was hearing Douglas talk about Zach Wilson and his obsession of football. He also talked about his maturity level being through the roof.

I have a lot of hope for this kid!

8. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Tuned in mid third quarter so I got to see all the fireworks. I think our QB room is set. 1. Zach 2. Johnson 3. Captain Morgan PS White. Saleh is just so much more likable than Gase. he can coach as well. Seems like such a huge upgrade. Competent. The Douglas interview was nice as well. Seems like those two are in sync and will lead the organization forward.

egelband and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I put a lot of blame on both Chris Johnson and Joe Douglas for retaining Gase another year, and then sitting and watching week after week as the team and Darnold just got worse.

They attempted nothing to salvage, in fact just contributed to making the situation worse.
    What a giant waste of time and draft capital.
    2020 was unforgivable.

REVISion, egelband and Cman68 like this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Griffin was a Joe Douglas contract.

His salary is roughly half guaranteed.
    It’s a low enough number that they can move on if they don’t think he’s worth a spot.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I read this thread and then went and watched the highlights, there really are some odd posters on here it has to be said.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree. He made some mistakes for sure, but he's not being considered as a starter. He made some plays, showed a strong arm, and didn't sulk after his mistakes. I pick him over White. I see it as:

1. Wilson
    2. Johnson
    3. Morgan
    P.S. White

That said, I won't be upset if the above goes 3. White P.S. Morgan, but I think Morgan's arm brings more to the table and he can be coached up more than White.

Overall, this was a good confidence-booster for the Jets. The backups played hard, but it's clear we're short on talent in a few spots. But the team enthusiasm is as high as I've ever seen it. And what a difference in playcalling! Because of the noted shortage of talent, the Jets will likely have a losing record this season, but they should be fun to watch and be competitive in most games, and as long as Zach stays upright and progresses from game to game, I'll be very happy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Morgan is what he is and I think we both agree that he’s third string at best and potentially practice squad material. He’s an arm right now and that’s about it. He has no clue what to do with it.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Griffin's cap hit is $3,298,438. If we cut him, we'd take a $950k dead money charge and would save $2,348,438.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm torn between Morgan and White. I didn't see last night's game, but based on what I have read about both during OTAs, mini-camp, and TC, and the previous two preseason games, I think Morgan is more talented and has more long-term potential, but White is more ready to play now. If they're keeping Johnson to back up Zach, then I agree that White should be the one to go to the PS, but if they plan on releasing Johnson, then I think White should be the backup, and Morgan the #3.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Was not impressed with Morgan at all after watching the game. In fact, I wasn't impressed with just about anybody on the 2's. They made Flacco look like the SB Flacco. So far, everybody's 2's except the Giants have been better than ours.

Saleh and JD have their hands full turning over the roster again.. If we win more than 4 games this year, it will be a miracle.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You trying to win the Darksider Award again Cman?:p

They put up 31 pts. and had some nice plays. Yes, they had some mistakes - more than a few - but the effort and enthusiasm was there. Keep in mind Morgan didn't even sniff the football last year under Gase the Genius. He's a project for sure, but you can't coach arm strength. If he gets more reps against NFL players he'll learn what works and doesn't. Johnson actually surprised me. I think he's viable as a vet backup. He's better than the Eagles' 3rd stringer Mullens who they just cut, and who some here have suggested the Jets should sign because he played in SF.

I'll see your 4 and raise you 2 - I think in light of the injuries and thin roster to begin with, they get 6 wins.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

OK gotcha, thanks. With such a small cap hit, he could be a goner. One of the other guys mentioned the Griffin extension was a Douglas move, which now makes sense. Since most of his contracts have ways out with minimal adverse impact on the future cap space.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They listened to Mac. Supposedly trusted his GM. That is what happens when you have a shitty GM.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He definitely had happy feet in that first quarter but he was delivering some nice balls but also checked down on big play oops. Sam looked like Sam good move moving on from him. Robbie on the other hand is JD's biggest mistake. I partially blame Gase.