A TGG Good Sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I will say a couple of things.
    1. I underestimate athletic QBs. Their ability to run really makes the defense play more honest. Fields may not run like Jackson but he is a big play waiting to happen which may open up opportunities in the passing game.
    2. Wilson appears to be everything advertised. Quick release, awareness, pocket presence, accurate, amazing velocity, work ethic, film study junkie and suited great for this offense.
    3. Wilson appears to be much more advanced than we could hope for at this stage of his development.
    4. We have not seen him play a single regular season snap.
    5. We are right now in silly season where Jet fans get amazingly optimistic.
    6. Be prepared there will be a lot of lows for Wilson as well as highs. I expect more lows.
    7. What I like most about what I have seen is Wilson’s ability to make routine move the chain plays. Wow highlight plays are great. Sam had a lot of these. But consistently executing the ordinary plays is what makes a good QB. Sam could not do this. This is what I am hoping to see all year from Wilson to Davis, Moore, Crowder, Kroft, Carter and more.
    8. I just hope Wilson stays healthy all year. Let's see where he is at the end of the year before we crown him. But, yes he looks really sweet right now.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Urban Meyer's systems revolved around a lot more motion and jet sweeps as well as short throws. It was a spread option with west coast offense passing principals. When Day got there and ultimately ended up taking the reigns when Meyer's "heart problem" reared its head again, he started moving to throwing the ball down field a lot more.

You can see it with players that Meyer opted to bring in and play. His primary two starters were JT Barrett (king of the duck ball) and Braxton Miller (great runner, no down field accuracy). Day moved towards good down field college passers (Haskins, Fields) because they ran a lot of flag/stops, poster corners and such.

Haskins was the freshman backup who edged out junior Joe Burrow (ouch) because of the arm strength.

So no. The systems are nowhere near the same. Tebow and Alex Smith were not throwing the ball down the field in their given systems and those are both Urban's prized college players.

abyzmul and legler82 like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m assuming you are talking about me since you are always calling me passive aggressive. At no point in the pre-draft process did I say Wilson would be a bust. I just felt he was being overdrafted and Fields was the better prospect. I was actually a Wilson fan until the hype got out of my comfort zone. Wilson can go on to be a really good QB for us and I still end up still being right. My pre-draft position really has less to do with Wilson and everything to do with Fields. Each year we might be in the running for a top QB in the draft I bang the table for a guy. Fields was that guy this year. I’m wrong if Wilson becomes the better NFL player. I’m right if it’s the reverse. Either way I’m still going to be watching every game and rooting for the Jets like I’ve been doing for the better part of 35 years. I don’t have to rock a Wilson jersey with no undies every night to bed to root for the Jets. It’s not a prerequisite. If that’s rooting for his failure, then I’m guilty as charged.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

I generally abide by the rule if I am wearing another man's name on my back I make sure I have underwear on. But everyone has their own set of rules.

Brook! and legler82 like this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The “sensitive Sally’s” may have there own dress code.

6. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

He’s going to struggle. The most important thing this year is that week 18 looks better than week 1

7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

The main point of my post was that Fields played at OSU in a one read offense, you disputed that. And now you want to repeat once again that Meyer didnt coach Fields (no kidding) totally ignoring that OSU still runs Meyers offense, that Ryan Day learned under Myer and has said they are running the same offense and that anyone who has watched Meyers teams and Day's team would know this? You do realize that Day was hired as quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator by Meyer in 2017? That would be what, the entire time that Fields was at OSU? You never watched the games or had the volume down when the McShays of the world talked about and showed the replays of Fields not looking off his WR or going to an option. That NFL teams were worried about this? I could care about the rest, this was the point of the conversation.
    And if youre going to call my comments silly, you should at least have a clue as to what you are talking about. Snotty comments when you are dead wrong make you look kind of dumb.

#87 LF911SC, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  8. LF911SC

And a whole lot of people are talking either about him being the best long term QB or how impressive hes been while running around. Not one single media person talking about him not going through progressions or that he actually went a Hackenberg like 9 of 19 for 90 yards against 2nd, 3rd stringers or worse

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It wasn't even close to being the same system. There were hardly any of the same concepts used. It was an entirely different system that highlighted the QB much more. Much more responsibility was placed on the QB In that system.

Urban Meyer NEVER had a system that emphasized the QB.

Which is why he will fail as am NFL coach. IMO

bicketybam likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

fields is the flashy guy who wow's with his legs but doesn't look the part of a QB. the type of prospect to fly up draft boards but fail. The type most people who watch film would not jump on the hype train. Zach is the less flashy guy who when you watch you go "that's what an NFL QB looks like"

LF911SC likes this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@bicketybam

Please read above and tell me id you would tailgate with me and legler at Titans game?

12. IIMeanDeanII

If you are going to make a point, try to have a knowledgeable view for said point. You clearly don't watch OSU, you likely just went off of some other inaccurate assessment of somebody else's vantage point, thought It sounded good, then started using it yourself along the way.

..or you are just completely full of shit.

Either way.

Your point Is simply wrong. Debating It is pointless.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wow. how stupid is that statement.

Meyer coached 17 years of college ball. In that time he had 7 of his QBs drafted, 3 of them 1st rounders and 1 of them No.1 overall. You'd be hard pressed to find any coach with a QB sheet like that

One of Urban Meyer's QBs set the all-time NCAA record for passing and rushing touchdowns in one season, winning every single season award for a QB he could possibly win.

and yet.... he wasn't emphasized in Meyer's system. Yeah.... okay buddy :D

#93 BrowningNagle, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    cval likes this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I really don't care about Fields. He may turn out to be a competent or even good QB but he isn't on the team I root for.

The main point I was trying to make was that Wilson hasn't done anything in 2 preseason games that makes you think he's going to suck. In fact, I haven't even read a single post criticizing his play in those two games. Most reasonable people will agree that while you can't say he going to be a superstar based on those two games, he hasn't tripped all over his dick either. He's looked good. He looks like the game isn't too fast for him. He looks like he knows how to go through his progressions. He looks like he has a good feel for the rush. He's made some really nice throws. We all know that if he looked mediocre he would be getting killed right now. So when the worst you read is "Well it's against the second string" and "he's playing with the first string" you know he's doing ok.

Look...go back and read the Packers game thread. Look for the guys that wanted Fields and read their commentary. No one was asking for all rave reviews and dick stroking. But when all you get is the constant reminder he's playing against 2's instead of "that was a nice read" or "that was an NFL throw" it tells you a lot.

I not a Wilson pom pom waver and I don't own his jersey. But if you can't find a few good things to say about his performance in those two games then that means you don't want to....for whatever reason that may be.

cval, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And we got the best of them in Tim Tebow. The stars were certainly aligned that day.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Since you don't want to provide any evidence to support your claim or any actual football talk to debate it, maybe you'll read an article that outlines the new Ryan Day offense which eludes to the differences in Meyer's traditional spread option.

https://www-elevenwarriors-com.cdn....its-no-longer-urban-meyers-smash-mouth-spread

17. IIMeanDeanII

None of that suggests he emphasized the QB or that It was a QB influenced system. It wasn't.

It's only stupid If you actually believe the stupid shit that you just posted.

I also did not follow Urban Meyer at Utah or Florida. I can't speak on his schemes there, however, I'd be surprised If it was radically different.

I have fucking eyes and I'm speaking on his OSU days. The QB In HIS scheme was not QB heavy, reliant, or required. That's a fucking fact Jack.

I will debate anything you want within that as well. I fucking know QB wasn't an emphasis In that scheme. He wanted athletes that could manage to throw the ball as well.

It was power football, through and through. The QB was used heavily with that. Along with spread concepts. It was never designed for a true QB. Ever. Not once while he was there at OSU.

It's night and day In comparison with Ryan Day as the HC now.

I appreciate the ignorant confidence but It doesn't change the fact of the matter. Those random fun facts don't mean shit either in regards to the scheme Meyer used at OSU.

Okay though, bbbbuuuuuuuddddyyyyy.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If you did not follow urban Meyer at his other stops... aka... most of his career, then your statements about him are useless.

19. LF911SC

I DONT WANT TO PROVIDE EVIDENCE? LOL thats all I've done. You told me Day was a new coach, one year, my response, he was Fields OC before that, so your point was wrong. Beyond all of the nonsense, running a spread or running a WCO has nothing to do with one read and go. So there's that.

20. IIMeanDeanII

So. So, only being a hardcore OSU fan, where he coached last In college, doesn't mean shit then? I guess those facts don't count? It disqualifies me because It take away from your argument?

To be clear. I do know he came up with his spread concept with the Gators. If you think that scheme was designed for a pure passer In that offense, you don't know what you are talking about. That scheme was tailored around the power spread. Tailor made for Mr. Tebow.

There is a reason he was one of the best college players ever and It wasn't because of his amazingly natural QB talent either.

Also, you discrediting me because I didn't follow Urban Meyers entire career as It happened. Is ignorant.

In what world do you think that I don't have knowledge or I shouldn't have an opinion when I'm willing to bet I've watched more Urban Meyer games than you have?

It's absurd to think that I don't have, at the very least, a good fucking gauge on how he operates an offense, and what that looks like for the QB within that scheme. Give it's his most recent coaching gig before taking this job with the Jags.

What In the actual fuck are you on about?

You're wrong. I'm done with this.

Have a good one fella.