OLine... Here we go again?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Aug 25, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You say you know that there is a new blocking scheme, new players, new coaches, etc., but then dismiss it. The Jets haven't been game planning, everything has been vanilla. They are focusing on learning new techniques, the new plays, and developing chemistry.

The level of panic around here is sad. You'd think were were supposed to be a Lombardi Trophy contender or something. This whole season is going to be a work in progress. There will be ups and downs. They'll probably look great at times and awful at others. We have a rookie HC, OC, QB, and a ton of new players. AVT has missed a ton of time. Lewis retired. Clark and McDermott are injured. That ate up our depth. It was neither a good FA for IOL nor a good draft for IOL. With all the other holes we had, JD did the best we could. If he overpaid and outbid the Chiefs for Thuney, then some people would be complaining about overpaying Thuney and others would be panicking and complaining about our WRs or our pass rush or something.

Our roster didn't become horrible overnight, and it's not getting fixed overnight, either. Everybody needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

#61 NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We gots to protect the kid...

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nah he tweakin

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Way things seem to be going I can't help but wonder if Sir Bacon err I mean Becton won't be moved to RT next season (with one of our top pics becoming our new LT more fit for the Shanahan "RUN LEFT!!! RUN RIGHT!!!" Oline scheme).

I always thought the team's road grader was on the RS for smashing a path straight ahead for the RB. While LT are 'nimble on their feet' to keep up with fast edge guys. Becton is nimble on his feet FOR A HUGE GUY, but that might not be nimble enough to play LT in the NFL.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Confirmed: Becton thru up his breakfast on the sidelines:

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12, abyzmul and mrmajix like this.
  6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It will take another full offseason to really correct this oline--

1. Becton will have another year of experience and still playing for his big contract
    2. We will have AVT in his 2nd year
    3. We can address the other guard and tackle spot via draft / free agency
    4. Another year in the same system finally

This year will have a lot of frustrating times. With that said, I do have hope that between scheming and the players we do have--it hopefully wont be as bad as the Texans with Carr or even how the Jags appear to be this year. We have more vets on the line than they did and have two young talents (barring injury).

It would be silly to compare us to team like the Pats, Bills or Colts though--those teams have had continuity in their schemes and have been building depth for awhile.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be against it--would be pretty hard to pass on a guy like Evan Neal. He's from my my are and he's been a dominant player since highschool. Super talented and smart. Think of him as Becton 2.0. More polished and durable. Throw him at LT and Becton at RT. We have AVT. Probably just need 1 more guard at that point.

Noam and Footballgod214 like this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

BTW, how's the miracle worker we signed doing on the right side? Haven't heard anything at all about him. Just Fatboi's adventures on the left side so far.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The little I have read is mediocre. I have read that he has been beat in pass protection a few times. I don't think we will get a good reading for a few weeks into the season. The most important thing to the Moses signing for me is the added tackle depth. I feel a lot more comfortable having Fant as a backup tackle in case Becton misses time.

ColoradoContrails, ouchy and Cman68 like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I did not dismiss anything. They are not playing well, period... and that is against 1st team D. They played better against 2nd teamers but not great. Those are the facts. Agree, everything is new but you seem to discount or worse not acknowledge that the line for the "most part" has been together since OTAs. AVT is new and so is Moses but Moses by all account is a pro pro and step right in. My concern is that is ATV doesn't get in we have Feeney (sp) and he is weak to bad. That may cause Becton to help out or cheat and if that happens then the left side will be weak. Just saying, you know I want them to succeed but I am also a realist and my eyes and yours maybe seeing different things... lets hope I am wrong and your right for our ne QB. I do not want him to get sacked 96 times the way SAM did...

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I mean it's a concussion and he isn't gonna miss time. becton will be fine. he was a stud last year.
    AVT we'll have to wait and see
    mcgovern is a top 10 C his whole career and showed it the 2nd half of last year despite the turmoil around him
    He added moses who has been a top 10 RT the past 3 years
    RG is really the big sore point with GVR starting the line looks much better then it did when JD took over. he's put a lot into it in a short time. we have picks and money next year to improve it more as well

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, if I misunderstood your intent/misconstrued what you were saying.

I agree that they haven't been playing well in practice, but that isn't true for the games, and facts don't exist in a vaccuum. IMO there are valid reasons that they haven't played well in practice. They're trying to play effectively while learning the new scheme and learning new techniques. That's extremely difficult to do, and not many people can do it that well or easily. Actually, the line has not been together for the most part. I think Becton missed all of the OTAs and mini-camp. Lewis was here and got reps. They were shuffling players in and out, and then AVT missed the first two preseason games and the end of TC. Feeney is awful and he has dragged the whole OL's play down. Complicating matters is that Becton, GVR, McGovern, Fant and the rest of the OL have been learning new techniques and a new blocking scheme, and they obviously don't have them down yet. Moses is a pro's pro, but he still has to build chemistry with GVR and vice-versa, and don't forget that Fant and he have been rotating, so whomever will be starting at RT hasn't gotten as many snaps with GVR as you think. They have to understand each other's tendencies, abilities and weaknesses. In reality, Becton and AVT have had very little work together, and GVR and the starting RT haven't had that much work together.

Yes, I know that you want them to succeed. I never doubted that for a second.

Hopefully, Becton will be back in a day or two and the OL can begin developing their timing and cohesion as a unit. They may well struggle for the first 3-4 games, but I believe they will become a good OL. Hopefully, I am right, not only for all of our sake, but especially for Zach's sake. I don't want him injured or beaten up. We all have to hope that Feeney never sees the field again. I think GVR will be fine. Hopefully, an older, but still effective-backup-type OL will become available during cutdowns and JD will pounce.

#72 NCJetsfan, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While I would not object to this move, I believe AVT will make Becton’s job much easier. The guard position was bad last year and main reason Becton gave up so many sacks. When Becton gets comfortable knowing his right side is covered and he doesn’t have to worry about it, he will develop into one of the best LT in the NFL.

Sometimes it takes more than a season in the NFL no matter how good you are as a prospect, to master the job you’re drafted to do.