OLine... Here we go again?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Seems every time something is written about the Jet OLine, its never good against the 1's. Zach evidently is about to find out just how bad his OL is. Fatboi is out with a possible concussion and AVT is just now coming on to the field. Sorry, but JD may have a blind spot when it comes to the OL even if he played the position it doesn't make him an expert at spotting talent. At this time, we need JD to start to hit on his FA signings and OL drafting. Zach's career depends on it. So does the Jets' season.

I know Saleh has to stay positive to the media about his OL. He certainly can't trash them before the season even begins however, to say he's not worried is a bit disingenuous to say the least. Unless he's Rojas who never worries about anything, he better be concerned. Not sure who the OL coach is, but he better get his shit together and protect Zach. We don't need another shell shocked kid QB ruined because his OL sucked.

Maybe JD needs another year to get the OL straight. Lets all hope Zach survives long enough to benefit from it.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

JD didn't know what offense or defense he would be building for last season so he took a huge road grader in the first round which would have been a no brainer for a line based in man blocking schemes.

Then he hired a HC who brought along the Shanahan offense and it's many pull blocks and downfield lead blocks which are probably not the correct recipe for a man that stands 6'8" and three and a half bills. On that screen play Becton was hyped on, that was as awkward a downfield block as I've ever seen, it just made him look better that none of the other linemen executed or were even in the right spots.

That large man running downfield is going to have a lot of trouble getting his pad level low enough to block effectively, and it is going to mean he will be doing odd things like that half-block half-fall he did in the screen play.

Saleh says they're running vanilla blocking so things may get less ugly as the season starts but we still kind of have a Frankenstein crew on the line. Not where it needs to be personnel-wise.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We'll see what it looks like come week 1.

I don't have a ton of confidence but I also do want to see what they look like running a full offense with an open playbook. It is hard to gauge their abilities right now in preseason, although it doesn't look good by any means.

The good thing is we have a very smart offensive coordinator who knows his shit. I'm more confident in him scheming to help them until we can draft more help. I also think getting AVT back is going to be huge

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I was prepared to believe that Douglas was an OL-whisperer. Right up to the point we signed Dan Feeney.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Who is the best O lineman on the team? Really think about your answer

I think if the line was any good it would be easy to answer

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Mogriffjr likes this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

trick question?

it’s Becton…don’t be fooled here and don’t overthink the room. I’m sure scouts and people around the league will say the same.

8. BrowningNagle

well that’s just scary. The guy getting beat badly every day in camp is our best guy :(

SOJAZ, jetstopgun and REVISion like this.
  9. Mogriffjr

This seems to be a bit disingenuous here to me and I’ve read the struggles the OLine has had during camp.

But I’ll wait til game action to see how good/bad this line truly is. In preseason I haven’t seen Wilson take much pressure or anything he couldn’t handle. He hasn’t been destroyed like Fields has for example.

And let’s be honest, even with a good line he’s not gonna sit back there and have loads of time. Playcalling and his football smarts will dictate just as much as them boys playing in front of him will as well.

JD attacked OLine. Becton is still good. McGovern is at least an average center in the league. GVR turned it on late, Fant was pretty meh but that’s why Moses was brought in here. AVT was drafted. Clarke, Lewis, Feeney were depth pieces. McDermott was solid as a backup last year. Right now you have 3-4 guys who have been hurt…I mean that’s football…there’s no full proof plan here. It’s not like OL was a neglected area….which is what is seemed to be implied here. Guys will get hurt and continue to get hurt. You just hope whoever does play can be well enough out there.

Oh and on that screen play, Becton said essentially he did his job, and Baldy was like going ape sh*t over how he pushed the defender over, they even talked in the replies

barfolomew, bicketybam and FJF like this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

On that clip Beckton had a chance for multiple blocks. There was no need for him to go spread eagle over the guy he tossed to the ground…LOL

#10 legler82, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Bellys Lies, Acad23 and PJ4Ever like this.
  11. legler82

Double post

#11 legler82, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The OL is definitely not giving me the "warm and fuzzies" but I'm not that worried right now.

I'm going to reserve my judgement for Week 1. Let's see how they look when it matters.

13. Mogriffjr

Not how a screen works. He got rid of the first level defender. Or would you rather him do a lazy initial block on the LB and then try to pivot to block a DB? That’s not his responsibility.

cval likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

As much as I like Baldy, he is an unabashed and unapologetic Jets homer. Of course he brings a ton in knowledge but the next video I see where he criticizes the play of a New York Jets player will be the first. Most of his takes sound like hype videos. To be taken with a grain of salt.

mrmajix and REVISion like this.
  15. legler82

He got rid of the first defender after a single push. He could have stayed on his feet & moved on to any defender other down his current path w/o having to pivot. There’s no rule limiting the amount of blocks you can make on a screen. I’m not complaining; I just thought it was hilarious he tosses the guy then dove on top of him.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The only bit of saving grace is that Becton did run the wide zone scheme in college so at least on the running plays he shouldn't be too lost as far as footwork is concerned.

He is not a fit to be running a lot of screens or receiver tunnel screens and things of that nature though. He's a walking injury in the open field because as you said, he's just too damn big to get low enough and he's going to get his legs cut out from under him a lot.

With all due respect to him, the big boy needs to drastically cut his weight down. We don't know where he really stands but reports of being 360-380, even at his height and with his agility, are unsustainable in the NFL. Jason Peters is the only guy I can really remember that played successfully at a massive weight and later in his career he's been banged up every other week.

Guys like Max Jean-Gilles (360+), Trent Brown (380), Aaron Gibson (400), Terrell Brown (400), etc. simple do not have the football stamina to play the game for a long time. It's different than being a defensive tackle that only need to play two downs and get a breather. Offensive lineman need to get stronger as the game goes on.

SOJAZ, Cman68, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LMAO

Now Mekhi Becton is a question mark as our best offensive lineman? This fuckin fanbase is laughable.

A few months back Jeremy Fowler had surveyed over 50 league executives, coaches, scouts, and players rating the top 10 players at 11 different positions. At Left Tackle, Becton finished as the 6th highest rated player at left tackle in that survey.

That is pretty damn impressive for a rookie who was dealing with a chest injury during part of his rookie season.

To think that all of these executives, scouts, coaches, players, etc. are all wrong :rolleyes:

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Aren't you taught to fall on the guy after the block to take him out of the play? I'm pretty sure I've read and heard that multiple times from offensive linemen on TV.

I don't totally understand the topic at hand. Are we getting on JD for not recognizing OL talent in the draft because of injuries? That has nothing to do with talent. If you want to get on JD for not recognizing potential injury risks, there may be an argument there. But this seems disingenuous at best.

Obviously I'd rather see Becton perform better in practice, but as long as he brings it on Sunday I really dont care. He's looked good during games against two's, so I'll reserve myself before questioning his talent.

ColoradoContrails, Mogriffjr and cval like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

I dont think those nameless people surveyed are wrong at all. Its just a few months back Becton wasn't out of shape and getting beaten badly, daily, in camp.

You really aren't concerned about that?

REVISion likes this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

At that point, it's probably more a statement of power than a strategic block.

legler82 likes this.