Younger NFL QBs who've struggled during training camp:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

so genius urban meyer and wunderkind joe brady are averaging 4.2 ypa
    on 30 attempted passes... and the Jets are the place evertyone DOESNT wanna come to...

ok

KY Jets Fan and Acad23 like this.
  2. Losmeister

surprised about the total lack of interest in evaluating TL...

which is kinda cool since jet fans rarely surprise me

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not me. If the beat reporters are a community of two, then you are right. Cimini is better than Metha. Not saying much though

Acad23 likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

1. Show us the quote where Cimini said Mims was going to be released or cut. It certainly looks like you have a big problem with reading comprehension.

2. Do you really expect any reporter at all to fill his word allocation citing meaningless stats that you call records, even if what you claim is true? How is it pertinent?

3. I don't use Twitter. Cimini reported what happened at training camp, good or bad - that's his job. Good thing Wilson is better able to handle criticism than you are of someone you don't even know. Do you really only want to see the good things your little pet does? Seriously?

5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I watched the game, and then watched all of Lawrence's plays again. He's a fairly talented guy, but well behind Zach in terms of development IMHO. Zach was consistently moving the chains, converting on 3rd down, and hitting the intermediate routes when he needed to. Lawrence was dumping it off for short yards on lots of plays. That's fine here and there, but not so much on third down (which is why he had so few third down conversions tonight).

Lawrence did have several nice reads/throws for intermediate yards, but when a guy throws 23 passes, you want a lot more than "several nice intermediate completions." He threw two deep balls that were underthrown, one of which hit the corner's feet (that's pretty underthrown) and the other would have been a pick if the defender hadn't dropped it. He had several intermediate throws that were poor decisions forcing it into coverage. He had one bewildering throw where he threw it into double-coverage near the end-zone (batted down) rather than an easy completion to an tight end who had a step on his defender in the middle. Too many bad reads, IMHO. As for the high percentage of short dump-offs, I suspect part of that is Meyer trying to build his QB's confidence by calling plays with easy completions. However, there were a lot where Lawrence went through his progression and dumped it off. It's possible no one was open, but I do wonder whether maybe someone was "NFL Open" but not "College Open," and Lawrence isn't yet comfortable throwing into "NFL Open." (I wasn't as impressed with Lawrence's college play as most because what I saw on his film was a guy who consistently had wide open receivers and all day to throw. Anybody can look like a generational talent in those circumstances.)

While I knock Lawrence, he'll probably be fine over time. He's a rookie in the preseason who's splitting reps with Minshew. But IMHO, Zach looks much better prepared. He seems to be doing the things that Lawrence is still figuring out how to do with any consistency.

Lawrence's Pass Efficiency Rating: 73.3
    Zach's Pass Efficiency Rating: 154.7

6. Losmeister

he looked sketchy to me...
    w/what i coud watch while at work

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He looks very timid and has happy feet.

It's far too early to worry if you're a jaguars fan, but his performances so far do not help provide much comfort

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So Chris Simms was right after all!!!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Falco21

It is crazy seeing the reaction so far from the truth lol I watched his enitre performance last night. If I'm a jaguars fan, it's a little concerning right now. He looks out of place and uncomfortable. So I look him up to see what people are saying and the first article I find is titled:

Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence sees improvement in second preseason outing

Get the fuck out of here with this nonsense.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Hello Rich Cimini.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  11. Falco21

LOL!!!

Holy shit

12. Losmeister

its the accepted narrativ, that he "generational".... ergo, cant crit hisperformance too much cos the hype machine must be well oiled with pos vibes for TL

13. Losmeister

fwiw, twitter was pretty brutal on him... `

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

WTF guys. Did anyone actually watch the game? TL is on basically the same team Darnold was drafted into. He had terrible pass protection. No separation from WRs. And his running game got 9 yards on 12 carries.

The saints first team defense destroyed the Jags first team offense and Trevor. Once the second stringers got in he started making plays.

This is a big part of why preseason evaluations are so often crap. You cant compare a guy going against 1s to a guy going against 2s and 3s. Especially when the guy going against 1s had no help.

On thing is evident. The Jags have done a terrible job building around Trevor and he is the type of QB that will stand in the pocket and get killed for it. I genuinely feel bad for the path TL is stuck on.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With Etienne gone for the year, a crappy OL, no rushing attack last night to speak of, and Meyer's desire to build a power rushing attack, it doesn't bode well for Lawrence this year. The Jax GM has a ready excuse if Lawrence busts and Zach is a star, because the Jax owner made it clear that Lawrence was going to be the pick, but he could still fire the GM making him the scapegoat if Lawrence busts.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's nto a jet so don't really care. i didn't go too much into lawerences film since he wasn't an option for the jets, but I wasn't impressed with what I seen from him. He also has ass o-line and ass WRs and now no RB. odds are kinda stacked against him. I'm more interested in how long it'll take for the other 3 rookie QBs to overtake the vets on their team. Jones IMO should start day 1. he's looked great out the gate and i'm not suprised. his film was great and people slept on him. plus newton is ass anyway. lance and fields are interesting as both sparked flashes but also don't look ready. lance is on a SB caliber team so taking the safe bet in jimmy might be the way they go all year. their D and run game can win it for them without jimmy G doing much. he just has to not turn it over. the bears are in the same boat though and dalton is not popular there

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can't shake the feeling of seeing Kenny O when I see TL, with a similar outcome.

But this time WE got Marino!:D

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Losmeister

off topic but... Etienne is highly overrated imho

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dunno, it depends on how he was in game 1. Maybe as poorly as he played in game 2, it was still an improvement?

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

I seen your boy DeVonta Smith only record 2 catches for only 19 yards and 0 TDs with only a 50% catch rate.

I guarantee Elijah Moore kills those numbers vs. PHILLY.

Red Menace likes this.