Potential Trade Incoming for Pass Rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t know…for all the talk about a dominant DL I watched Packer backups run at Willard the QB with all day to throw. Yes we were missing Q but that alone is not goi g to change it so dramatically…we needed a dominant pass rusher to create the matchup problems for the offense…do they double Lawson or Q? The other will bite you. If you double both then the rest of the guys can win a matchup. We lost that when Lawson went down. No one outside of Q is a matchup problem for the offense.

I think our DL is a bit overrated…and now with the loss of Davis our defense is hurting more. I’m not for trading premium assets at all because I agree that we are not a Super Bowl team this year….no question…but I do think we need somebody. Huff is promising, as is JFM, but outside of those guys we don’t have anything. And they are still more promise than production….

Metstrife likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You do realize that Carl Lawson was part of that defensive line, as was Sheldon Rankins.

So the line was missing Quinnen Williams, Carl Lawson, and Sheldon Rankins.

3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

The Jets have always been a win now team. We bring in over the hill names, who then underproduce, or give us a year or two before they retire. We give up on young players and trade away draft picks. It leads to a lot of mediocrity when it works, and misery when it doesn't. Either way, there is nothing sustainable.

We are building a team through the draft, and that takes patience. Maybe that pass rusher is sitting on the bench right now - give others a chance and find out what you have before you spend. If the CS already knows we lack talent at the position, I have no problem signing a FA as you suggest as all it costs is a roster spot, but trading draft picks for some washed up name is the most Jets-like thing we could do at the moment.

Jets81, PJ4Ever, cval and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes I get it…and it will be much better with Q in there, as it would have been with Lawson. No question.

but that was the GB 2s and 3s that were gashing us…

I think we need some help on DL

5. Falco21

Again, we had three starters on the line out including two defensive backs.

Not saying they didn't look bad but just a little perspective

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We may need help, but I'm not gonna panic. It would be nicer if we could win 7-8 games this season, but if not and only win 4-5, I'm not going to be upset. The ONLY things I care about this year are keep Zach upright and healthy, Zach's development, the development of the young players, players learning the new systems, the offense playing at a high level, the team getting better each week, and JD and the CS determining who can help us going forward. If we have little or no pass rush this year so be it.

Don't forget that GB is a championship level team. Their 2s and 3s are better than a lot of team's 1s.

#106 NCJetsfan, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Borat, LAJet, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This team is not good enough for a trade to be worth it IMO.

abyzmul, Jets81, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Oh you didn't hear, we're only 1 pass rusher away from a Super Bowl! If that's what they think, boy are they in for a surprise

MoWilkBeast, Br4d and legler82 like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True indeed. In other words, three quarters of our first rotation. Unfortunately, Carl was such a key piece of that mix.

Falco21 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We don't need help on DL. We need to build a team virtually everywhere.

If the 1978 Jets had traded for a 28-30 year old pass rusher we'd never have developed Klecko and Gastineau. What the Jets need to do is develop a good young team and where you start is with a bunch of decent prospects from whom you sort out the guys worth playing long-term.

When you sign a prime time free agent you chuck the development process out the window and then the guy goes post-prime in a year or two and you're back where you started at the position.

If Saleh and JD are any good they can sort out the chaff and keep the good guys. Signing free agents just sets the Jets back and at the talent level they are at now every setback pushes the build out a year or two in the process.

This is a two decade process we're in now of resetting every few years. Each reset leaves the team lower than it was the time before and we've gone from shirtsleeves (1996) to shirtsleeves (2020) in the process.

This sounds strange but in terms of team-building the Lawson injury was one of the best things that could have happened to the Jets. We've spent 100's of millions on free agents since 2015 and we have *nothing* to show for it. Even the Johnsons have to be able to figure out that the process is busted and they're paying for cotton candy by now.

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

I don't think Jones is washed up. Maybe on the wrong side of 30 but he isn't washed up.

12. Falco21

I agree with your overall point but you lost me saying "This sounds strange but in terms of team-building the Lawson injury was one of the best things that could have happened to the Jets."

Thats horseshit, in my opinion.

Lawson has a TON of value, not only helping the young guys develop on the roster but also helping the rest of the line get better and the secondary. Lawson's presence allowed the rest of the line to feast every snap and also took a ton of pressure off the secondary who is very young and developing. Not to mention the help he was providing a guy like Becton. Becton was taking it all in every practice.

Signing big name free agents at every turn will set this franchise back, for sure, but signing a big name here and there does not set the franchise back. Lawson did not set us back at all.

And for the record, using this franchise as an example of this does an injustice to the argument itself. We have sucked year over year not because we have been signing big name free agents. We have sucked year over year because we have struck out everytime drafting a QB. You are not going to build a franchise if you can't find the QB. Look at every winning franchise and they found a QB. Bills, Chiefs, Patriots, Ravens, Seahawks, etc.

You can sign big name free agents all you want, but until you find the franchise QB, you are doing nothing to help the franchise.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Can you show even one post that suggests this?

There are some misguided posters who believe this is a playoff team. It is not. But not once have I've seen the Super Bowl mentioned.

Yankjetfan and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Br4d

The Jets franchise, from owners on down , really needs to learn some harsh lessons at this point.

We're not terrible by accident. We're terrible because every level of planning, management and resource expenditure is about as crappy as it can be.

I'll stand by the Lawson comment because no number of Lawsons or Mosely's or Revis Returns or Trumaine Johnsons or Deckers or Skrines or Kearses or Corey Davises or anybody else is going to save the Jets from the utter organizational stupidity that it takes to keep making these signings even though they do *nothing* for us in the long run and just stand in the way of player development in the short run. And, yeah I missed a few signings in there on the way to 2-14 last season.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

While I agree that FA splurges are not the way to build a team, it's impossible to have a totally homegrown roster. Need a mix of draft picks that form a core and FA's who supplement that core. Turmaine Johnson was a bad signing because he was a tier 2 CB closing in on 30, which meant his decline was coming fast. Corey Davis was a nice addition because of his age and possible breakout. He's 26 this year and is signed for 3 years.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Denzel Mims for Derek Barnett. ??? eagles get a WR they need. Jets get the pass rusher they need. Everyone is happy.

thoughts? saw it on several rumor mills today

17. NCJetsfan

You couldn't be more wrong. SMH

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

No!!!

19. Falco21

Again, you are continuing to completely overlook the QB position and simply blame the free agent signings rather than our inability to draft a franchise QB.

The free agent signings mean jack shit if you have guys like Sam Darnold, Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Geno Smith running the offense.

It is so easy to blame money spent when the real issue is the inability to draft a signal caller. Pretty simple.

Hit on the QB and the rest will follow. But go ahead, keep blaming the signings of Carl Lawson and Corey Davis. I'm sure they are the reason we have sucked for so many years.

20. Br4d

The Jets inability to draft well is a big part of the problem but our continued splurging on the people good teams elected to let go because they weren't worth the money is just as big a problem.

Just look at the bones man. It's been a decade of the same old crap and there's no end in sight.