Potential Trade Incoming for Pass Rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Aug 22, 2021.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think you’re overvaluing both. Chandlers is 31, big money coming off an injury, aside from that ,if Arizona was going to trade him they would have already. So I don’t think it’s realistic
    Fowler took a big pay cut a year after signing a significant deal and under performing. He’s not going for a day 1 or 2 pick.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Being competitive is one thing. Making moves that hurt the future to win this year is quite another. I believe that this team WILL be competitive this year. It will have some struggles due to all the youth, and having a rookie HC, OC, QB, etc., but it will be competitive, and the young players will develop and get better from week to week.

If by "competitive start" you mean early in the season, I don't think that's gonna happen regardless of who they sign or bring in at this point. This is a rebuilding year. The only important things this year are developing Zach and the other young players, getting their systems established, their culture established, and determining who can help them going forward. Nothing else matters. If they're as competitive as I think they will be, and our CS is as good as I think they are, the Jets will win their share of games. Of course, they're going to try to win every game. This isn't tanking.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

even when Fowler was coming off an 8 sack season and a dominant performance in the AFC Championship game he only brought in a 3rd round pick.

Now hes coming off a ho hum 3 sack season. He can be had for pretty cheap

4. NCJetsfan

Has Fowler's character improved any? If not, I can't see the Jets bringing him in regardless of how dire their need may be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Yeah I guess my point is that as we’ve seen previously, it’s quite hard to get the best out of rookies and build a culture when you’re getting pumped every week. Losing repeatedly is a horrible habit to shake off, even under the mask of rebuilding (which I agree is necessary).

Lawson was so key to this scheme that to not even attempt to fill his spot would be a huge risk in my opinion and would send the wrong signals to players and fans alike.

I agree that you don’t do any move that harms the future of the franchise but who’s to say they can’t pull a great move off? JD is very capable of doing it.

let’s see…

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Cole is staying. What’s interesting is he was brought in to be a hedge at WR AND play specials but from what I’ve seen, he hasn’t seen time as a KR on ST’s. Either he’s firmly entrenched as the #2 and the Jets want to keep him healthy as possible or they will use Cole as a KR once the season begins. I believe Carter has been getting reps as the KR in the preseason games.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

One of them off the board:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

How bad would it be to go in with JFM, Huff, Blair and Curry at DE (Zuniga too, technically)? As has been noted, Saleh is no stranger to big injuries on the DL and DT is still a strength.
    If they do have big doubts about the group, Josh Sweat and Derek Barnett might be good options if available, but obviously depends on who or what is being given up.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think JD has proven that he's committed to improving this team, but in a smart way. If there's a pass rusher that's an upgrade over what we have on the roster who can be had for a reasonable price - i.e. not hurting the future moves he wants to make - he'll do it. But again, we haven't had Q in the line up yet, and if he plays at least as well as he did last year (and presumably better once he's 100%), that may make a huge difference in the ability of the DEs to apply pressure and set the edge. Losing Lawson was a big blow because we all thought we finally had the pass rusher we've lacked for a decade and a half, and then POOF! he's gone, but the DL is still a strength (even if they didn't show it against the Packers very well). I wouldn't want Douglas to add a player who either hurts the long term success of the team by costing too much (money/picks), and/or messes up the locker room which seems to be really well knitted together, but in any case, I trust in his judgment.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

but haven’t Blair and Curry been unable to practice? They will need time to get up to speed. Believe Hamilcar has a shot to make the roster off the edge. And Zuniga has missed a lot of time, likely opening up on IR.

11. NCJetsfan

I hear ya, and you definitely have a point. I agree that if anyone can pull off a great move, it's JD. It will be interesting to see what happens. I will have no problem if he uses a lower round draft pick to just add veteran depth or can get a starter cheaply. I just want to give the rookies every chance to succeed, because imo that will have the team become a contender sooner, than signing vets for a year or two, and then having to find replacements in the draft.

Metstrife likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Curry has been unavailable, but I think Blair has been practicing, but I could be mistaken about that. I haven't seen any positive practice reports on Rashed, but he has made plays in both preseason games, so he may have a chance to make the team now.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why we would trade anything but a bag of used jock straps for a pass rusher. In a perfect world, we lose games 49-42 all year long with Wilson looking phenomenal. What could be better than knowing we have a FQB for the first time in forever and also having a high pick in the first round to go with Seattle's 1 and Carolina's 2?

We aren't making the playoffs this year. This season should be all about Wilson and if he can develop into a FQB while we get another top 5 pick, we should be excited. Honestly, a near 500 record while missing the playoffs is not what I want.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Trading for a pass rusher would be a win now move, and we aren't in win now mode. Do the best with what you have and keep building something.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. Falco21

I never understood this logic. What is a win-now mode? You think the front office and coaching staff are not looking to win now?

The Jets have been losing year over year. A new coaching staff coming in and winning is a huge boost in morale and momentum moving forward.

Signing a pass rusher right now is not just about winning, but it is about adding value at a position in need due to a bout of injuries.

KingRoach, FJF and Metstrife like this.
  16. bicketybam

Totally disagree. We need all the draft capital we can get for the future. Trading draft picks for a aging pass rusher would be foolish and a typical SOJ move. Fuck win now. I'll take look competent now. Or look competitive now.

17. Falco21

I am not going to say whether I agree with this or not because I do not know what we are looking at potentially trading.

Could a pass rusher come at a cost without a draft pick? Possibly, if players were exchanged. Could a pass rusher come at a cost of a later round draft pick paired with a player? Possibly, which I am not entirely opposed to either.

Looking competent this year is going to require a pass rusher. Watching the 2nd and 3rd string Packers offense rip apart our starters was concerning. If we do not sign a pass rusher, there will be no competence. We need someone to set the edge and while we have a few good potential guys on the roster, we do not have one that we can rely on to consistently find himself in the backfield.

18. bicketybam

We didn't have Q in the Packers game. He alone will make a huge difference. I'm not sure who we can get in a trade that will be any good that would cost something like a 6-7th round pick.

All I'm looking for is to look competent on offense. Call me naive, but I think Saleh will be able to scheme enough to make the defense look ok.

This year is about the offense and Wilson. We've been in the bottom 3 offensively for 2 years in a row. I can live with losing games 35-28.

NCJetsfan and Falco21 like this.
  19. Falco21

I agree with this. I have a lot of faith in Saleh, especially given that he has had a history of scheming around defensive injuries in his time in San Fran.

I also 100% agree that this year is about Wilson and the development of the offense as a whole. In order to prove that this franchise is moving in the right direction, we need to see a drastic change on offense, which I am already starting to see glimpses of in the preseason.

I just feel that our defense will suffer if we do not have someone we can somewhat rely on to provide pressure. I trust in Saleh's scheme and his ability to exploit young talent, I just think we still need that veteran presence in the room.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. bicketybam

I definitely agree that it will suffer but I'm just not worried about wins and losses this year.

Noam likes this.