Potential Trade Incoming for Pass Rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Aug 22, 2021.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I want no part of a trade for a pass rusher if it involves giving up offensive talent.

Fuck that

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If there is a unit on the team that we can afford to lose a player, it's the WR corps. As much as I like Keelan, Elijah Moore developing the way he is makes Cole's presence less important.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Cole has been underwhelming so far. Maybe JD and Saleh think that one of the Smiths can fill his role? Should be an interesting week at joint practices lol.

ColoradoContrails and egelband like this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Wrong thread........

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This pretty much sums it up. I do not want to give up an asset for a stopgap. I know we just had a terrible season and would be nice to win a couple of extra games, but this is not the season where we are expected to compete for play-offs. Zach is a rookie, and as good as he has been this pre-season, there will be growing pains. The focus for me would be his development, and then solidify the defense next offseason to compete for play-offs in 2022. Worst comes to worst, if no one can step up for Lawson, we get a higher pick AND Lawson back in time to make play-off push.

Mogriffjr, barfolomew, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

What's up NC! I hope you are right on that one. If done right and our young guns develop...it's definitely possible. We are set up nicely with picks and cap space. My only concern at the moment is some of our mid rounders from last year--Ashtyn, Zuniga and Clarke are the ones I am mainly worried about. We need those mid round guys to pan out for us. At the time, I was skeptical of Zuniga--I live in FL and he was kind of a hot and cold guy for UF. Let's give it this year though and see how it all unfolds.

I still love JD though, the culture he is building and his ability to negotiate is unlike anything I can remember from guys like Bradway, Tanny, Idzick, MAc etc.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on, Cman!!!

barfolomew, Cman68 and Yankjetfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Good to see ya back!

I have to believe that with the CS we have now, the job that JD did in the draft this year, and how good Zach is looking already, we are going to be very competitive next year. In addition to all the draft picks, we'll have a bunch of cap space as well, and could sign another OG if need be, maybe a RT if we move on from Fant or Moses, and quite possibly CB help.

Yeah, I hated losing Clark for the season. This was going to be a big developmental year for him. Zuniga could bust and it wouldn't hurt too much with the other talent we have and the high draft picks next year. I think A. Davis will come around and be at least a solid player for us this season.

If JFM or Huff develop this year, Lawson comes back in great shape next year, and we can get one of the top 2 DEs in the draft our DL will be scary.

The only way I can see it taking until 2024 to be competitive is if we continue losing players for the year to injury.

10. NCJetsfan

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Underwhelming?
    He’s looked good. Way better than Mims who he’s already surpassed.
    Cole is also more position versatile.

They should be floating Mims in a trade while some team still thinks his measurables will somehow offset running bad routes.

barfolomew and FJF like this.
  12. Lon Chaney

What I mean by underwhelming is he seems to be nothing more than a JAG. The other guys in camp, specifically the Smiths and even Malone, seem to on par or just slightly below his level.

I'm not saying cut him. But the dude is 28 on a one year contract. He's most likely not on the future plans. If the opportunity arises to get a guy like Barnett, I wouldn't hesitate.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree on trading Cole if it meant getting a pass rusher.
    No point holding onto WR depth with such a glaring hole at most important position on D.

if Coles a journeyman tho, he’s a good one.
    Very solid depth and capable of starting at multiple spots.
    There’s no reason not to sign him to another coupes years imo.
    Neither Smiths, Malone, Berrios or even Mims is currently on his level, I disagree there.
    I’d rather try trading one of them first if possible.

barfolomew and Lon Chaney like this.
  14. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

While understandable, considering the supply and demand of edge rushers compared to receivers, I can't see anyone offering a guy with a resume even close to Sweat or Barnett for Smith, Malone and Berrios. Mims, maybe, but I'd have to imagine his stock is way down right now.

BacktoQueens and barfolomew like this.
  15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We should merge this thread and the “What should we do with Denzel Mims” one.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Ii do find it surprising the number of posters who don’t seem too concerned with winning this year. Im not saying for a minute we should be mandating the playoffs but we should doing all we can to surprise a lot of people and contend and see where we shake out.

I think it’s crucial that this group of players and coaches gets off to a competitive start. For too long at the Jets we’ve seen how losing becomes a habit and creates a shitty culture and I don’t want to see all the positivity surrounding the Jets dissipate within the first few weeks. I’d like to see Wilson, Moore, AVT, Carter etc learn how to win in the NFL as soon as possible. We can’t keep putting competitive expectations back a year because of reason x, y or z.

The NFL provides opportunities for parity like no other sports league in the world - there is zero reason to accept continued mediocrity. Not trading for a replacement says to me that’s exactly what the Jets would be doing.

We now have a huge gap in a key position in Salah’s defence and I dont expect they will let that slide. Anything we can do to be competitive now JD should pull the trigger.

#76 Metstrife, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  17. Lon Chaney

I agree. The NFL is a league that provides the quickest avenue for turn around. However, I think most people realize that trading any future assets (high draft picks) to fill the whole Lawson hole would be counter productive to the long game.

JD has done a good job stockpiling picks. There's no need to panic. If this team was competing for a Super Bowl this year, that's a different story.

Realistically, there are at least 8-9 teams demonstratively better than the Jets in the AFC. If the right move presents itself to add a DE, than it should be explored. Trading away a second round pick for a Chandler Jones, for example, would be av ridiculously dumb idea.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The reality is , there aren’t any real high profile rushers available at a high price. No team is looking to part with their best pass rusher 2 weeks before the season. There’s really no reason to fret over a move like that. If there’s a trade it’s going to be for a 4 or later with some conditions tacked on it for that disappointing, needs a change of scenery player on his last year might as well get something for him player.

19. Lon Chaney

I think the two realistic big names are Jones and Fowler, both who would cost too much IMO.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Fowler might cost a 5th. And I’d do that.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.