Darnold vs Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Aug 15, 2021.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

In today's pre-season game vs Green Bay, Wilson looked more poised and controlled in the pocket than Sam ever did. Very impressive!

2. jackie1013

jackie1013 Member

With shitty coaching and a terrible O line, Sam never found his confidence. He looked like a scared rabbit out there. Lets see how Zack bounces back after getting sacked 3 times in the first half of a game. Will he shake it off or will he see ghosts in the second half? I think he’ll take a licking and keep on ticking.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Sam didn’t get much play time last night against the Ravens. Didn’t play in their first preseason game either.

Jets played Green Bay 2,s Defense and Zack did well and so did the Offensive Line.

Opening game against the Panthers will be a good test for our fresh out of the wrapper Jets Team.

I think it’s a win.

BrowningNagle and barfolomew like this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

After reviewing the footage again this morning, there are three huge takeaways for me that seperate Wilson from Darnold:

1. Pocket awareness and comfort. This is one that still gives me nightmares remembering Darnold in the pocket. Now, this may have a lot to do with the offensive line and how much better the group seems to be, but Zach seems to just look comfortable in the pocket. He scans the field and looks through his reads. His feet are calm and he mindfully navigates around as the pass rush pushes toward him.

2. Accuracy. We all know that Darnold was inaccurate as all hell. Wilson throws the ball with ease and with incredible accuracy. Idk if he made that throw on purpose, but that TD throw to Kroft in the end zone was a thing of beauty and purposely pulled him off a big hit that was incoming had he not thrown the ball to his backside. Again, if that was on purpose, which I have a feeling it was, we have something special with this kid.

3. Release and arm strength. This is a no-brainer. Zach's release is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Darnold. Having a quick release like that is going to be so beneficial for his growth in the NFL.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

While I am also confident Zach will work out MUCH better than Sam and was praying for JD to draft Zach, I think it is a bit premature to conclude that the jury is out already. Sam had some really great games as a rookie for the Jets where he looked like he was going to be a star, also poised and controlled. Zach looks amazing in pre-season, and I think he will have a better rookie season than Sam when he was a rookie or even this year for the Panthers. We might know for sure after a few weeks, but not just yet.

Pags2112, REVISion, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I know it’s only preseason and he’s playing against 2nd stringers, but I am loving what I’m seeing with Wilson so far. There are things that don’t show up on the stat sheet that you cannot coach, that qbs either have or don’t have, like pocket comfortability and situational awareness, and obviously more physical skills like velocity and placement. I love that Wilson not only looks comfortable and confident back there, but he doesn’t panic when a rusher arrives and he shifts around with his eyes downfield. I love the 3rd down completions, that is more important than you may realize, because it again goes to his attitude and confidence. He is not nervous on 3rd downs and does not shy away. These are all skills Allen was displaying his first and second year when the media said his stat line sucked but they never watched. Wilson has a good base of skills and intangibles to work with, from which he can grow into a great player. Sam never had the skills and never had the intangibles, IMO. I am really liking what Wilson is doing so far

ColoradoContrails, Falco21 and dmw like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, it's early, but not premature IMO. The difference in how Zach plays compared to Sam is night and day. While I wanted Sam to succeed once we drafted him, I had questions about him before we did. I remember there was one scout who said Darnold looked like an elephant on ice skates (I can't find the link now, but it made an impression). and also had concerns about his accuracy. Unfortunately none of that improved and I think he actually got worse, "helped" by a lack of coaching and playing behind a shitty OL in a system that actually worked against his strongest suit.

Watching Wilson is like a breath of fresh air. You know like when you're stuck in a stuffy room for a while and you get used to the smell, and then you finally go outside and it's "WOW! This is how air is supposed to smell like!". Zach will make mistakes, but even when he does - like yesterday - he'll usually still make something positive happen, or at least avoid disaster. When Sam made mistakes he always seemed to compound them.

My ONLY fear is that Zach gets hurt. Short of that, we're going to witness something that some Jets fans have never even seen: a true FQB.

Borat likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Greg Coselle with a pretty good observation today. I paraphrase.

-Young QBs often struggle with understanding what is pressure and what ISN’T pressure. Understanding what isn’t is often more difficult. If people are near you, it’s not necessarily pressure.-

I feel like Darnold never really got that. Early returns on Wilson are good with that

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I read some on Darnold, and he's gone 1 for 2 for 16 yards.. getting a FG on a red zone turnover.

Seems like he's pretty dang consistent

10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Watching Lawrence and I like Wilson so far

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That is an excellent quote.

REVISion likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach certainly throws a prettier ball... but Trevor looks ok.

Wilson just looks sharper in every aspect... but hey... it's early.

"Never underestimate the Jets ability to fuck things up."
    -Barrack Obama

13. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Madden simulation on the season has Darnold throwing 36 TD's and Fields with rookie of the year.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Garbage in, garbage out. :eek:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Means nothing but makes me feel warm inside.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He definitely had the Geno syndrome. The defensive game plans against were nearly identical. Blitz them heavy in the first couple series and then you can rush four the rest of the game and they'll feel the overload seven man rush the rest of the game. Good add.

abyzmul, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  17. Cunninglinguist

Cunninglinguist Active Member

Takes one to know one I guess.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

same thing that showed on all his college film for those who watched it. it translates really well into the NFL. effortless lightning release, lots of zip but can add touch when needed. the ball flies off his hand like it was shot out of a cannon compared to the more mechanical looking QBs. calm in the pocket, good footwork, keeps eyes downfield. In his 20 throws so far i've seen 0 bad decisions, 0 turnover worthy plays, and only 1 bad pass that was just at the ground low and wasn't dangerous. he takes what the defense gives him

Acad23, ColoradoContrails and Falco21 like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think what happened on the throw into the turf vs. GB was that as he rolled out under pressure he first looked at his relief valve, but as he was in mid-throw he saw the open receiver just beyond him and tried to stop his pass in mid-throw resulting in the torpedo. I say this because it was so out of pattern with every throw he's attempted so far. In any case, it was one bad throw.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

every QB has a bad throw now and again. i'll take 1 out of 20 any day. and it wasn't even dangerous or missing out on a big play. it cost us a few yards at most