Mac Jones

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by abyzmul, Aug 20, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's not just going to blow up and be a bust like everyone hoped. He looked really comfortable playing last night, although I did see a distinct lack of velocity on the outside throws.

If I were to compare him to someone, the best one I can think of is a pre-injury Chad Pennington. Really smart game manager with just enough zip to be effective deep. He's never going to beat us with his arm but he will do it with his brain a fair number of times, I think.

Patriot, REVISion, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Its hard to judge these rookie QB's in preseason. First there is no game planning in preseason as coaches go with a vanilla game plan. The starters or players who know they will make the team are just trying to get their work in and shake off the rust. Basically nobody is trying to win the game at least not at a regular season level. We will see how these rookie QB's do ( Wilson included) when the games count and teams start game planning by showing different looks with zone coverages, blitz packages, cover 2, man to man...etc etc etc.

Br4d and abyzmul like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Pocket passers usually look good in the preseason; let's see how he does in real games before coming to any conclusions.

legler82 likes this.
  4. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

He's landed in his best possible spot, going from Saban to Belichick - same sort of controlled system and I'm sure that the coaches spoke before he was picked

REVISion, MoWilkBeast and abyzmul like this.
  5. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

Yeah he looks comfortable, and his arm strength looks better than what I expected.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he was out there with the Patriots starting line against Eagles 3rd stringers

supposedly during practice the two teams scrimmaged for a couple days and the Eagles dominated. The eagles sat their starters and got wrecked last night

who knows what to believe

50ShadesOfGreen likes this.
  7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I thought he looked good as well. Much better passer than Newton at this point.

abyzmul likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Belichik spent a 1st on him it means that Saban really thought he was worth the 1st.

9. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing how loaded that 2018 Alabama team was at QB. Hurts, Tua, and Jones. If you asked right now, I still don't know who will be the better pro. Right now though and for 2021-2022 only I think it's actually Jalen Hurts. He's an easy guy to cheer for seeing as how he got benched in the championship game and had to transfer to OU.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Then watching what they struggle with on film and each team will take advantage of that until rookie QB proves otherwise. Once th book was written on Sam that was it.

11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Report from Pats v Giants joint training sessions

Mac Jones was a surgical 35 of 40 against the Giants defense in practice, including a stretch of 18 consecutive completions. Jones hit Jakobi Meyers for a 50-yard TD against double coverage in the final two-minute period. With temps approaching 90 degrees, it was an intense day.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/08/25...421101641&mc_cid=fe68bdf30d&mc_eid=38e457cb06

12. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You might be right. We will not know how any of these QB's will be able to throw the ball in cold windy North East weather. This video suggests his arm might not be that bad.

I agree with you on the Chad Pennington comparison because I thought the same thing also. If he ends up like a pre-injury Chad Pennington he will be a damn good QB. I was a big fan of Pennington and he would have had a great NFL career if not for his shoulder issues.

Leicester Jet and abyzmul like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It would be our luck if the Pats didn't have a long wait between one FQB and another.

15. Br4d

It's not luck.

There are franchises that do most things right and there are franchises that do most things wrong.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what subject you are posting about, this is what I think of when I'm reading your posts.[​IMG]

dawinner127 and KingRoach like this.
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Br4d's just ahead of the curve. He'll be kicking back with a mojito when this forum is imploding around Week 4.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Someday someone will have to explain to me how the Patriots intelligently drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round.

19. Br4d

Belichik wanted a smart guy to hold the clipboard and pass the cheating signs in to the offense and defense. Brady fit the mold, being both smart and tall enough to maintain visibility on the sidelines without sticking out like a sore thumb.

Clipboard in right hand meant one thing and in left another. Ball cap on backwards meant one thing and forwards another. Squatting, hunched over with hands on knees or standing tall all meant different things.

He just happened to be the guy on the depth chart with the role when Drew Bledsoe went down. All the people saying that Belichik saw something in him in the offseason in 2001 and was confident in him as a real option are conveniently forgetting that Belichik signed Bledsoe to the richest contract in NFL history that off-season, worth more than $100M in total. It was the first $100M+ contract in NFL history.

Belichik drafted at least one other guy to perform that same role later on - that being Matt Cassel, another smart, tall guy who could carry a clipboard on the sidelines and not look out of place. Belichik used QB's in this role because they are supposed to be watching the action most of the time and nobody would see anything amiss in a hyperactive backup QB standing near the sticks and keeping tabs on things.

BTW, as most of you know I am a big Wolverine fan and I did not see future star in Tom Brady in the two years he was Michigan's QB. I did think he had a future in the NFL, probably as a developmental QB who turned into a long-term backup. He was good even back then at bringing his team back from a deficit after at least partly being why they were in the hole in the first place.

I definitely wanted the Jets to take him even after they took Chad Pennington. However I didn't think he was going to be the GOAT.

20. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

excellent point