Joe Walton passed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Aug 15, 2021.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Rest in peace, Coach.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

My first Jets coach. It's all his fault.

RIP Joe.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

He was not a good Jets coach but he was a good offensive coordinator and college coach, rest in peace Mr. Walton

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

In retrospect he would have been better off had that been his last game. He would of went out a winner not only for 1988 but for his career....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. mrjet80

I believe this leaves Lou Holtz as the oldest living Jets head coach .... every Jets head coach prior to Bruce Coslet (except for Holtz) has passed...

EDIT

Nope - according to Wilkpedia Charley Winner is still kicking at 97.......I could of sworn he died a few years ago.

#25 mrjet80, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Jets69 likes this.
  6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I was at that game. Can't believe it was 33 years ago.

The Jets made a huge mistake in firing Walt Michaels. At first, the players were glad because they believed in continuity and the Jets offense -- and Todd -- were expected to thrive. But Walton had issues with Todd and drafted O'Brien (passing on Marino) and the lack of trust destroyed the team in 1983 and 1984.

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'll never forget a classic Jet(s) fan move in the last year at Shea in 1983. No fires (surprisingly), but a huge cardboard sign and written in black marker with a primitive drawing of a Jet crashing 'RICHARD AND WALT IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT'. They were walking behind the Jets bench a few rows up, saw them with my Daddy's binoculars (our season tix were on the opposing side to avoid the sun) but it was also on the news. Oh, and the nose picking, who can forget that.

One thing that will always be seared in my mind was when Freeman McNeil accidentally broke an opposing player's leg and he was so upset he started crying on the sideline. Walton screamed at him and went off on him for it. It wasn't a good look for Walton. '85 & '86 were pretty good, but both seasons ended in heartbreak, what else.

Walt Michaels got tooled, but Joe Walton was a good guy by all accounts. Anyway, he was born in the same town as Joe Namath as a fun fact. RIP.

8. mrjet80

Both Michaels and Walton had short fuses - the players liked Michaels much better. They may have been temporarily excited when Walton got the job but figured out pretty fast Michaels seemed to treat them a little better overall.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Bill Parcells is a young 79

I was at the last home game Joe Walton coached. We were shut out against the Steelers (1989). Everyone was chanting "Joe Must Go." I'm not sure how long after he was fired as the Jets HC but he became the OC for the Steelers. I remember seeing a highlight where a Steelers' fan had a sign that read, "Hey J_e. Where's the O?"

He was the coach when I became a fan in 1986. In the long list of Jets HC failures, he's nowhere near the top. Rest in peace, Coach.

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. mrjet80

They were shut out by the Steelers 13-0 in the second to last home game - they saved the real doozie for the last game on a Saturday - a 37-0 loss to Buffalo. I remember watching on television as the few fans left in the Stadium gathered by the tunnel to pelt him with all sorts of objects as the players ran in. All I saw was a sea of arms in throwing motion.....pretty sad.

#30 mrjet80, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

we had a couple few pretty damned good squads w/ JW

RIP