Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Amirite?

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Here’s a little secret, players don’t rise and fall as much as people think . The teams boards get leaked and the media react as stock is rising or falling because it makes for better tv and creates the illusion that they know what they are talking about.

dmw, Jets81, cval and 6 others like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Poor choice of words on my part. I meant to say that even though Wilson will get a few reps with the starters, I don’t see him, Davis, Becton and even Crowder there very long. May be two drives or so for the first game. Particularly if the Offense sputters a bit. I can’t even see a quarter but might be wrong. May be a bit longer for the D.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I would consider rumors about other teams intentions as part of the hype though. Honestly I don't know what changed from the championship games to the draft?

After the Clemson game Fields was clearly the #2. He had a world class performance against Clemson capping off two very good seasons. Then he played average in the championship game where he made no real mistakes, and even led his team in rushing against unfairly talented defense. We gotta remember, he's trying to beat guys like Patrick Surtain and having about 2 seconds to throw. It was a team loss and Fields was the only offense they had.

In the same game Jones throws for 464 yards and 5 TDs going up against a pretty strong OSU defense. Yes he had good receivers, but he still had to run the offense and execute the position. He did it to perfection, in a championship game. Yet both of these QBs stock would fall afterwards?

Who was Wilson facing on the Coastal Carolina defense and what was his success? Why would Zach's stock rise after that mediocre game? It was fools gold.

All of a sudden it was, "he can make all the throws". So what. When did that ever determine the success rate of a QB? A lot of QBs can make all the throws, even some in D2. If he can make all of the throws why didn't he make more of them over his career like the other guys did?

I'll concede it could just be my opinion. There was at least data wise, no valid reason Zach should have moved up the draft.

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not to say that we always have to agree, but I was surprised that we would have disagreed about that.

LAJet likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sounds like you but go ahead and have all the last words you want. back on the ignore list. you lasted more time then I thought this time though so maybe your being slight not as much of an ass to everyone :)

alleycat9 likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wilson’s stock didn’t rise based on one game. Fields stock didn’t fall despite the championship game. Bowl games don’t move their position. That’s suck a small piece of the data collected. That’s just fans being prisoners of the moment thinking that. By the time the championship game came around they had these qbs graded based on every throw they already had on tape.

cval and PJ4Ever like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Shhhh. Some people don't want to hear this.

9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i hear you
    And past QB failures don’t mean anything to Fields…

but…

Ohio State has been a top program for a LONG time…bigger than all,of those you mentioned and for a longer period of time…I’m no college football expert, and it’s not like BYU has produced a ton of NFL QBs either, but I just think there’s something to that. For whatever reason, Ohio St doesn’t develop NFL worthy QBs. Maybe it’s the scheme. Maybe it’s the coaching. Maybe it’s the type of player they recruit. Maybe it’s that their OL always gives their QBs a clean pocket for like 18 seconds. Maybe it’s that their WRs are that good. I don’t know. Maybe a bit of all of it.

but I think there’s something to it. And then looking at Fields, his highlights are ALL like 10 seconds in the pocket with no defender in the picture throwing to wide open receivers. Yes he has a great arm. Yes he’s great with his legs. But I didn’t see a ton of highlights outside of those conditions. Which I get is probably true for Zach or other QBs as well.

I was not a huge fan of Fields before that Clemson game, but I’ll say I did gain a lot of respect for him based on that performance. No question.

so for me, I’ve no idea on Wilson…I do have concerns about the level of competition he faced big time. He may be great, he may be good…I don’t think he’s going to bust flat out but it’s always a possibility. But I don’t have a lot of confidence in Fields at all…so personally I did prefer Wilson to Fields. Time will tell.

it’s gonna be a fun ride

cval, Brook! and legler82 like this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Brook! likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth - how many programs consistently produce top tier quarterbacks? The best programs top out at 2? 3? Look at the short term and longer term data sets of who leads the "Quarterback U" list. USC wins the data set because it's produced the most starters...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/30/college-program-modern-quarterback-u-based-on-analytics

Brook!, Lon Chaney and legler82 like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's also a ton of manipulation by the franchises in what they leak to the media months in advance for obvious reasons.

I don't think teams ever truly leak what their rankings are.

KingRoach and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. legler82

I think with QBs there’s a human element involved. The relationship a FO & CS is able to build during the preseason process can vault a prospect ahead counter to the ranking consensus. Mayfield is an example of this IMO.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No doubt. Secretly, I’m dying to see more of Wilson but realistically I think bring all players along slowly is probably prudent. I heard today from coach Salas that this first NFL preseason game will be literally the first ever played at the NFL level for about 30 of the Jets players on the roster. Wow.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I confess! It was ME! You know how the media devours every post on TGG, and when they found out I was high on Wilson, that did it! They all jumped on the bandwagon!:p

The Dark Knight, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

this is just such a dim take. I was watching that championship game hoping for Fields to pull off the impossible and he didn’t and I was like sh**. Season over I watched the tape on all the qbs start to finish and I started off with this Zach Wilson kid from BYU people were talking about. Know what happened? I said damn he’s the best in the class and I didn’t care about losing Sunshine with Sam’s one last spit in the eye to Jets fans. Didn’t care that Fields flopped with the injury in the championship.

Game in game out this year that was the best player on the field I watched.

Fields is a better athlete but less complete QB. If he develops could his ceiling be higher? Sure. F*** Sunshine. He’s another pretty boy on a stacked offense he rarely made truly impressive throws. Mac Jones is great as long as you give him the world. Trey Lance looks about as bad as it gets.

Football isn’t about one game, it’s about a year, multiple years. I think Fields could be the best player, Zach could be the best player based on watching a LOT of tape. Not one stupid game.

you show ignorance basing things on that and not what your eyes tell you over a period of time.

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Clearly #2 but was the 4th QB taken off the board, righttttttt.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and FJF like this.
  19. legler82

Does the best QB in class debate get settled at the draft or a few years from now?

ouchy, Acad23 and PJ4Ever like this.
  20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

the point is I’m basing it on tape not one game vs the most stacked team in the world and media hype and whatever else it is that he’s spewing.

The fun is that we learn a lot real quick but already reports are that TL ain’t it and I just don’t see anything there with Jones or Lance so it’s looking like a good bet the guy is Justin or Zach. How he fell that far idk but that’s the fun of sorting it all out real soon.

Yankjetfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.