Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They're not keeping just 5 WRs. That's absurd! Saying that Mims is or was on the bubble is equally absurd. If he's running with the 3s because he was sick and missed two weeks of practice and the coaches are bringing him along slowly, then he's not on the outside looking in. With all due respect, your reasoning doesn't pass muster.

KingRoach likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The coaching staff would never indicate anything other than total confidence, though, for any player in camp.

A reporter's job is to report on what he's seeing because we aren't there. We can all watch the pressers and see Saleh glowingly talk up every single player. But then we really dont learn anything

Ralebird and legler82 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Come on. No one - literally no one - said "The whole point of practice is to try new things". The Jets are clearly feeding Zach through a firehose with ALL the elements he'll need to succeed, and especially the basics. That's the reason for heavily using 11 v 11's, and having him go up against the 1st team "D". But sprinkled in all of that, Zach is flexing his wings and seeing what he can do now and what he can't. And it's not like he's just falling back on bad habits and things he's used to, he's pushing himself, and testing tight windows and multiple defenders are part of that.

And if you haven't seen "noticeable progress on being an NFL QB", you don't know what you're looking for.

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Got it. Quoting the coach is speculation. Making shit up out of thin air is solid reporting.

5. BrowningNagle

That's some weak ass shit there Lon.

Ralebird, legler82 and KingRoach like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

Our beat reporters must NEVER be negative on anyone

legler82 likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

And you're a bright guy too.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything much except tweets. I cant say the reports are indicating much progress but its still too early. Like I said, a week from now we should be seeing more substantial growth from him.

I'm reserving judgement on Zack in two tier system. I'll make early judgements based on what he looks like in the preseason, when I can actually see what he looks like in game, and more substantial judgment about week 10. Even then it will just be rookie year stuff.

For now my only real concern is that his injury history indicates he could be made of glass, and opinion I expressed endlessly during the draft. IMO that is the biggest concern.

9. Lon Chaney

I think Saleh gave a fair assessment of the situation, 4 days before Cimini made his article.

I think it was bullshit. It's ok if you don't. I literally said in my first post that I don't hate the beat reporters, but there are times when they should be called out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

While I completely agree with your comments I also want to put in context what I understand him as saying.

When I played baseball in my college days, there were often times when I would spend many practices working on hitting to opposite field. I struggled for a little while being able to hit with the pitch so I would work endlessly on trying to drive everything to right field. If you watched from afar, I looked like I sucked. I completely looked like shit working on it and you would have easily thought I sucked ass.

Not saying Wilson is always working on something similar, but gauging how good a player is simply by watching his practice is not a good move. In general.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, well from your posts on this topic (Wilson), you're certainly being very reserved, if not outright pessimistic, which is your right. It's clear I'm not going to change your mind, which again is okay.

A question though: What advantage, or benefit, do you gain by predicting the worst for Zach (and the Jets)? Conversely, what would it "cost" you if you decided to be optimistic? Serious question, not trying to be snarky.

12. JetsCuseYanksFan

We all need to remember this is much more than about Wilson (and what he can and can’t do in certain situations). It’s also about installing a whole new offense, with a lot of new faces / starters. Each cog in the offensive machine is being tested and stressed at the same time to see what routes work, with what players, given blocking strengths and weaknesses, given different coverages, etc, etc. My biggest concern is the whole offense won’t be ready for Week 1. But I’m optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm optimistic and its growing. Especially regarding our D line. But I'm guarded.

In the past I've been too optimistic this time of year. Even last season, coming off 7-9, with an o-line that was supposedly upgraded and new skill players, I though we had an outside chance at a WC run. What actually happened was one of the worst seasons in our history.

Considering past scars, I don't consider making excuses for poor performances that productive or appealing. Sometimes the excuses are valid, but that doesn't make the poor performance into a good performance. Maybe what I mean is I'm more hopeful than optimistic. I'm not going to go gaga over Wilson until he wows me. But I'm not going to crap all over him for rookie mistakes either.

But to be fair, its also hard for me to be a blind Wilson cheerleader because I disagreed with the pick and the overall rebuilding scheme this offseason. Six months ago I expected this roster to be much better than it currently is - and our future to be much brighter. Much of that is using the 2nd pick on Wilson - so IMO he needs to win me over. I hope he does, but its on him to prove he was worth all that gold.

#1413 ouchy, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sorry if I hurt some feelings here but IMO some of the beat reporting particularly in training camp needs to be taken in context. It is far from an exact science without knowing what they are trying to get accomplished with each specific play. Unlike in a real game, where there is no fuzz, simply find the best way to move the ball. In training camp we often don’t have a clue what they were intending to really do. Work on a very tight window, see what works for the QB or doesn’t, try to learn your players moves and anticipate your receiver, etc,etc, etc. It is one thing to describe an actual event, like the ball was high, under thrown, could have been an interception or a sack that is all good general information. But when we talk about why so and so is with the third, second or first team or speculate who is on the bubble knowing very little about how they are trying to bring a player along, well that is just speculation. A good portion of the tweets are just fun to read but I wouldn’t put too much into it. Funny how two weeks after all the speculation about Mims we now start to get information about his health. That makes a huge difference in understanding the coaches approach to his development.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The coach didn’t say he is 3rd string because he was sick. You INFERRED that. Jesus LOL

16. legler82

I could have sworn Saleh said they finished installing or did I dream that?

17. Lon Chaney

During his July 31 press conference, Robert Saleh cleared this up a bit. “Yeah so he’s working through some things,” the Jets HC said regarding Mims, “but him coming back [from illness] and working into the groove, all those receivers are part of a rotation, so you see guys, 1s, 2s, 3s and if I look at the rep count it’s darn-near even all the way across the board to give all those guys the same opportunities and the looks and to be able to put them in positions where we know that they’re going to be able to get the ball based on a play.”

He added: “[Mims] is a very talented young man and it’s going to piece together for him, we just gotta keep working with him.”

Am I misreading this? It seems like Saleh is saying that he's working back from illness and rotating with the other receivers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. legler82

Point me to where he said he’s in the rotation instead of starting BECAUSE of the food poisoning.

19. Lon Chaney

Ok dude. You're right. He worked with the 1s today. So now what?

20. legler82

Means you were speculating just like Cimini. The only thing we know for sure is that Saleh singled out a top 3 & said everyone else is in a rotation. As of today Mims is in the latter group not former.

For the record, your inference that the food poisoning has something to do w/ his perceived demotion is a reasonable one. It’s more reasonable than whatever it is Cimini came up with that got you so riled up. Nonetheless, it’s still conjecture.

Lon Chaney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.