What do we do with Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I killed Gase for his idiotic approach to players and only wanting his guys and prioritizing his scheme (whatever that actually is) above all.

I'm really hoping the coaching staff will be different. The best coaches in this league figure out how to use what their players CAN do instead of giving up on them for what they can't.

2. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if Mims was not on this roster.

He is 1 of 2 players(Davis) that has size at the position, and Vyncint Smith is taking his spot?

Cimini is trash

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Other sites run the story that Mims will be cut or traded based on Dick's click bait speculation. Why is it that some beat writer has to fill that douchebag role? I was really hoping we were past this when he who shall not be named was fired.

JetDan, NCJetsfan and cmcm750203 like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As of right now, I don't see any scenario where Mims isn't on this roster all season.

He's a 2nd round pick not even into his 2nd season and we've got beat reporters saying he should be cut or traded??? This is why we can't have nice things.

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and dmw like this.
  5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I don’t understand how we’re talking about a SECOND year receiver being a depth piece or ST in training camp.

stinkyB likes this.
  6. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I guess now that that one is gone, Cimini’s dickish-ness is shining through again. I honestly didn’t mind him that much when Mehta was employed. Maybe because even he somehow seemed like a ray of sunshine.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That happens when you have a surplus of depth at receiver. We're just not used to it.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Mims will be an important part of the team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In all sincerity and due respect, I don't understand how you can't understand the above. Traditionally, it has taken many, if not most, WRs 1-3 years to develop and it was accepted and understood, and that was when players stayed in college all 4 years. That included 1st round WRs. Why now must everyone be an instant success, especially since players are coming into the NFL at a younger age and are less developed? Fewer college teams are running NFL-type offenses, and so many WRs don't have experience in running a full route tree or having to learn the other WR positions, or are not asked to block, and didn't have to work hard because they were faster or bigger/stronger than the DBs who tried to cover them. NFL defenses are more complex and the players more skilled. So all the players we draft must be a star immediately just because we Jets fans are tired of losing and are impatient? Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Players aren't cut from a cookie cutter mold.

Some players are NFL ready when they leave college. Most take time to develop and improve. Some players never develop. In the offensive scheme Mims played in at Baylor, he didn't have to run the full route tree and his route running didn't have to be polished. In Gase's offense last season, the same was true. That's not the case now. Mims is having to polish his route running, adjust to lining up at a different position on the line and how running routes from that position varies/feels different, having to learn the new offense, adjust to better DBs in the NFL who cover more tightly, and adjusting to the speed of the NFL. It's harder for him because he had no OTAs, mini-camp, little TC, and no preseason last year due to Covid and injuries, and got behind the 8 ball this season with food poisoning (He missed two weeks of practices and lost 15 pounds, so had to regain his strength as well.). So he's playing catch up. Both LaFleur and Saleh have said that he is working very hard, is improving, and I believe that they are working with him to help him develop. They're not ready to give up on him.

Mims was also a second-round pick. He wasn't on the same level as CeeDee Lam, Jerry Jeudy and other WRs, so it makes even less sense to expect him to not need some time to develop.

Also, it's not like the past when we didn't have any talent at WR. We have Davis, Cole and Crowder, who are all very good WRs, and Moore is one of the WRs who was a perfect scheme fit and was NFL ready, and has had none of the injuries or encumbrances that Mims had last season. Berrios and V. Smith obviously have some talent, and had the opportunity to learn the offense better and develop some chemistry with Zach in OTAs when Mims was still dealing with food poisoning.

I believe that Mims will see plenty of action this year, and at some point this season will force his way into the starting lineup. He simply is too talented not to, but even if not, he's still there learning and developing. Injuries happen. He's also only 23, so there is still plenty of time for him to develop into a top WR. Did you know that it took Davante Adams 5 years before he had a 1,000 yard season? Mims has that level of talent and very similar profile to Adams. I think we can wait and see how he develops.

#49 NCJetsfan, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

People aren't judging him on his 1st 2 years. they are judging the fact that we assumed he'd start but now it's said he's WR5 on the depth chart maybe WR6 or 7 behind berrios and smith. that is an issue for sure

FJF likes this.
  11. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

I think there is overreaction from Cimini's recent stuff, but he's not necessarily making stuff up either. This NY Post Brian Costello article from this morning sheds some light on the situation and is more reassuring.
    https://nypost.com/2021/08/08/denzel-mims-could-still-be-red-zone-threat-for-jets-this-season/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

joelip, FJF, Leicester Jet and 4 others like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. Those other WRs were already more skilled as route runners (Cole, Berrios and White) because they're less talented than Mims, and all have been in the NFL for several years. None had the rookie season Mims had with Gase and his lousy CS. I was wrong to get so upset a week or so ago. If he is still #5 or #6 on the depth chart when the team breaks camp, THEN and only then will it be a bit of an issue. He has a similar profile as Davante Adams, and it took Adams 5 years to have a 1k yard season, and he's now considered one of, if not THE best WR in the game. I think we can afford to be patient with Mims' development.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents on Mims after reading Cimini, listening to our CS and watching every video from training camp.
    1- Quite frankly he has not yet seized the moment and shine in the midst of a much improved WR corps.
    2- He is still an asset with tons of potential but he is falling in the WR ranking.
    3- He has the size, strength and speed to excel in 50/50 battles and unique ability to open the field, but unless he finds a way to operate in the new tighter environment of this offense his touches will be reduced
    4- If you don’t get sufficient touches, your ability to fulfill more than one roll can becomes a discriminator. Such as special teams.
    5- My gut says he will definitely find his way into the roster, but he needs to help himself by over achieving in training camp under this new offense. There are a lot of hungry, young WR right now and the competition is fearless
    Of course injuries are the variable that might dictate the final couple of spots
    Quite frankly, if our biggest issue is too many good WRs, then we are in better shape than I thought. I still think a bigger issue is to find a TE that becomes Wilson best friend and the go to guy when in trouble.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's an issue. i'm not worried about mims, I was explaining why others are and it had nothing to do with his 1st 2 seasons

15. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but it was confusing as your very last statement was "that is an issue for sure"

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mims isnt going anywhere.....

dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mims is a fit for what Atlanta Falcons version of Shanahan's offense looked like. He is not a fit for what the last two years of the 49ers offense looked like.

He's a long striding guy who can outrun and out jump dudes down the field. He's never going to be running quick hitch routes and screens and what not and making a lot of plays in the open field. Think Roy Williams style of play.

He can be good at it if we throw the ball down the field and get him going with a good rapport on back shoulder throws with deep sideline hitches and such.

He will be bad if we're trying to feed him underneath shit and force him to try to run with the ball like the 49ers do with Deebo Samuel.

I was never super impressed with him at Baylor to be honest (god I won so much money on that Baylor team that were dogs nearly every week). He just ran straight by awful Big 12 defensive backs playing in their stupid 8 man zones and catch floating balls. But he does have raw size and speed and solid hands. He is just a raw received who never really had to run routes to win in college.

ColoradoContrails, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

QFT.

Now look. The official depth charts have been released today and Denzel Mims is no where near the "4/5/6" slots.

And why? Because you don't quit on a physical 6'3 WR with 4.3 speed who led the 2019 NCAA Country with contested catches in traffic all because "Adam Gase says so" after only 1 rookie season.

Next time don't believe these beat writing media driven HACKS who are paid $$$ in order to write hot takes and trick sports fans into falling for media driven lies (especially during training camp). I stopped falling for and believing beat writing media hacks when I was 15 years old of over 20 years ago...

Denzel Mims last year wasn't allowed to look like "Chase Claypool" alongside of...

A ) Adam Gase.

B.) Dowel Loggains.

C.) Sam Darnold (42nd QB Rating and dead last/worst starting QB).

D.) Joe Flacco (completely washed up)

E.) Frank Gore (washed up and out of the league).

F.) Opposite of Perriman (former 1st round BUST).

G.) An atrocious O-Line.

H.) 2-14 Adam Gase nightmare.

Etc. Etc.

Denzel Mims final 3 years @ Baylor:
    37 Games.
    182 Receptions.
    2,921 Receiving yards.
    16.0 yards per catch.
    28 TD Receptions.

Chase Claypool final 3 years @ ND:
    37 Games.
    145 Receptions.
    2,078 Receiving yards.
    14.3 yards per catch.
    19 TD Receptions.

He's every bit as talented as Claypool and the only difference (outside of an off-season hamstring injury without an off-season) is Denzel Mims wasn't drafted in WR heaven but was drafted into WR hell and Claypool wasn't with HOF Mike Tomlin, HOF Ben Roethlisberger and hidden behind 3 explosive pass catching weapons in JuJu Smith-Schuster, Johnson and Eric Ebron.

Denzel Mims is going to feast this year.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The official depth chart was made by the pr dept.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yes, but most teams need a guy like that on their roster to make the contested catches when needed