Have optimism but also don't expect much in 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

its the type of shit i no longer read cos people like that are my ignore list population

SmashMouth likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Looks like this page is blank.

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred.

PJ4Ever, FJF, MoWilkBeast and 2 others like this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Wait, you’re saying we’re the SOJ Bc we didn’t make the same move we always do Hire an experienced coach like Parcells or Gase or have a vet come in to fill the gap like Testeverde or Fitzpatrick.

We do love our QBs with 1 good season ala Darnold, Hackenberg, Geno, Sanchez.

I’ll bite though; which available HCs and QBs would you have brought on?

PJ4Ever and K'OB like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

These days, disrespecting each other's football opinion (followed shortly by a very gentlemanly apology) is as spicy as it gets. It's like the wild west, without the guns, whores, gold and thoughtlessly displaced indigenous peoples. Just some sand, a few bugs and the equivalent frustration of poorly designed undergarments.

Sundayjack likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The list of available vet QB's was long, however it contracted dramatically before the draft as people like Dalton, Stafford, Goff, Wentz, Taylor, Trubisky, and Bridgewater changed teams via free agency or trade.

Alex Smith and Philip Rivers, two other guys that probably could have been enticed with a big short-term offer retired. They were both unhappy where they were and ready to call it quits but might well have accepted one more big payday to come babysit for the Jets for a year or two as the rest of the roster was fleshed out.

Nick Foles, Jameis Winston, Minshew Gardner and Jimmy Garoppolo were probably available at a range of trade prices in addition to the other guys who actually got traded. Kirk Cousins was likely available for the right price - again as a two year filler so that the new offense could get installed without a roster full of rookie yips dragging it down.

If the Jets were actually looking for a shaky blockbuster deal to market there were *strong* rumors out of Las Vegas that Derek Carr and Jon Gruden weren't too happy with each other.

The point is that more veteran QB's moved this off-season than normal and not just a few more, it was a QB extravaganza - with all the risks and potential rewards that entails.

The Jets chose to trade their only veteran QB - Sam Darnold and to sit on their hands while all of this was happening so they could take probably the shakiest #2 QB in recent history.

That's what I'm talking about.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Are you for real? Goff was traded in a deal for Stafford he was not coming here. Wentz (that would have worked out really well for us), Bridgewater that was dumped for the QB we traded? Trubisky the bust? Foles that has failed as a starter ever where he has been. Winston, Cousins would cost of dfraft picks why would we do that. Carr was/is not available no matter what strong rumors you heard. Rivers is old washed up and retired and Alex Smith is not healthy.

These are ridiculous options except maybe Taylor but he is someone you sign after drafting Wilson not bring in to be your Franchise QB or give away draft capital. None of these guys are worth giving up any draft capital for. We have tried this before just off the top of my head. (Esiason, O'donnell, Testeverde, Favre, Fitzpatrick)

This is the first time I can remember we have done a complete tear down and rebuild instead of signing high priced free agents. We are building to win a Superbowl not go 9-8 and or sacrifice the future for a short term success. This Entire roster is young that is how you team build to proper way . That starts as QB so he can grow as the team grows.

Shakiest Number 2 QB in History really why because he did not go to a big school ? He is not any more Risky than any other first round QB. Was he any more Risky than Wentz, RG3, Mariota, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer? There is a good chance he will be better than all of them. Not that high of a bar. My point is drafting a QB high is no Guarantee of success and Zach is no more or less Risky than any other QB drafted second overall.

#107 cval, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You should have taken that break after all.

It is funny how the dislike of one draft pick can seemingly sour a person's entire post history, at one time I would have marked you down as a good poster with a lot of sensible things to say but since the pre-draft saga onwards you have changed markedly.

Such classics as... none of these QB's are worthy of being picked before round 3 to this post above, blimey such a shame.

[​IMG]

Noam, NCJetsfan and PJ4Ever like this.
  9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You don’t like Wilson. We get it. You could be right. Not sure how you can’t like the Saleh, AVT, Moore, and Carter picks though. And you didn’t list the esteemed veteran coach you wanted. Couldn’t be happier you’re not the GM and JD is

REVISion, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. PJ4Ever

Yeah I thought that dude used to be a good poster. His recent takes are abysmal

Noam likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO! SMH The lack of knowledge of some posters on this board is staggering.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on! Excellent post!

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought Sam Darnold WAS the "shakiest #2 QB in recent history"?

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We got 2 wins with Gase, this is as delusional as thinking we're going to win the division.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don't expect too much from them either. To be honest if Mims doesn't play well this year I think Douglas had the equivalent of a Macagnan draft in 2020 where he knocked the 1st pick out of the park and had one later guy succeed (Hall). If you count free agency that 2020 offseason currently looks bad. One caveat is JFM and Huff were technically acquired on waivers and UDFA respectively. Perine, Morgan, Clark (hoping for a quick recovery), Zuniga, and Davis all either can't stay healthy enough or haven't made any noise to date.

That leaves 2021's offseason to carry them forward. We have a lot of unknowns so we need to determine whether some of these younger guys especially on defense are the real deal. Moore, Carter, and AVT already look very promising so there's reason to be optimistic that Douglas got it right this time. Perhaps it was Douglas new to running an entire offseason or perhaps Gase had a shitty influence on player selection, but hopefully we have more off-season's like this year and less like last year and we should eventually be a playoff team.

16. PJ4Ever

Way too early for that first paragraph. Zuniga has had a good camp supposedly. Just way too early.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well said. I think you nailed it.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

ouch. yup, its gonna be a rough season.

I dunno if you are right about Williams (I hope not) but I think you are right about everything else for sure. The Becton part sucks the most.
    ----
    well obviously it doesn't suck as much as a father losing his life as that was on your list, but you know what I mean

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Dude, you're hanging on every play from TC, pro bowling our rookies before they've played a single game, and claiming we are better then Baltimore and Miami. We can all say something in the heat of the moment that might not be the most logical. Even you.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

So expecting an 8 win season is perfectly acceptable but expecting 9 wins (which I did no say, btw) is insane?

If you read my post, I stated that under the conditions I set forth, if the Jets are not the team that makes the big leap forward, it's not going to be well-received.
    It's happened before. The only coach that I remember getting something of a free pass after his first losing season was Coslet at 6-10.
    I don't expect the Jets to win 9 games. But I do expect flak if they don't. It may not be justified, but if you've been a Jets fan for as long as it seems you have been, how could you not see that.

NCJetsfan likes this.